Can my truck safely pull my 5er?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmc2nc

Ok,
I guess I'm being paranoid seeing as how we're about the take the plunge.  I have a 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab 2500 with the Cummings Turbo diesel with an 8 foot bed.  We're getting ready to purchase a Sabre 5er with a gvwr of 11,772lbs, and a hitch weight of 1,612lbs.  I'm pretty sure that the truck can handle this with no problem, just looking for some reassurance.  Thanks,

Andy

In Trailer Life's tables the truck lists a tow weight of 13,400 for 2WD and 13,100 for 4WD.  Even allowing 10% for extra cargo in the truck, you have a rating 12,060/11,790.

In terms of overall tow rating, you are fine.  If you are sweating RAWR, you should find the limits on your trucks door post. 

Carl L said:
In terms of overall tow rating, you are fine.  If you are sweating RAWR, you should find the limits on your trucks door post.

I've got a Dodge 2500 and he'll not have any trouble with the RAWR. The same axle is used in the 2500 as the 3500 dually. He'll run out of load capacity on his tires long before the RAWR is exceeded.

ramcneal said:
I've got a Dodge 2500 and he'll not have any trouble with the RAWR. The same axle is used in the 2500 as the 3500 dually. He'll run out of load capacity on his tires long before the RAWR is exceeded.

Yes indeedy.  Tire rating and inflation does count for big in tows.  Read those sidewall weight ratings and keep the inflations up to snuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom