Can the water pump freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lori M.,

I would offer the following based on very recent experience    ;D  ::)    and suggest you don't get too wrapped up in troubleshooting until everything thaws out.

We are currently in Pueblo, CO. and it got cold quickly and went down to about -4 a couple of nights ago, only something like 16 for a high yesterday. 

I got caught ... water system froze up, first shower lines and then water to kitchen and blue room.  Shower lines have frozen before (last year) but first time everything froze.  Pump didn't run either, gray and black tank indicators indicated empty although I know there was some since we dumped a couple of days before.  Waste tank heaters have been on since before it got cold.

Pump and water tank are inside, under the bed so wasn't too worried about that, remote thermometer confirmed it is staying in the 50's in there. 

Put a cube heater in pass through compartment by the water panel and brought temp up into 50's.  After about 12 hours lines to everything but shower opened up, pump operated normally, even though it was still well below freezing outside. (Pump didn't operate while line was frozen because there was pressure in the line already.) 

Today it warmed up into the 40's or more ... shower lines thawed out, tank indicators are indicating normally again.

Haven't been able to figure out where the shower lines are freezing or I would put some heat there.  For now plan on keeping the cube heater in the back compartment now that I know that is a problem area.  Don't have a drop light to try at the moment but may get one to try and monitor with the remote thermometer.

So while I understand your concern get the system thawed before you get too concerned about tank indicators or pump operation.

Hopefully neither of us will have any leaks.

And yes Ron, I do know the preferred winterizing method ... just can't leave quite yet!  :) :)

Howard

Update....

I was finally able to speak with our RV tech at the dealer.  He suggested switching the 10 amp fuse out for the monitor/water pump to a 15 amp.  I did that and.....

The monitor panel lights up, the pump now works!    We (I) pulled the Aeneid out the water heater and water gushed out.  We had the low point drains open already, but I had no idea there was a 3rd valve.  So, per the tech's instruction, I stuck my head into the compartment and opened it up and the fresh water tank gushed water.    Now, my husband and I will force air through the lines with our air compressor and get things dried out completely, leave the inside faucets open and keep the heat on.

My husband recently had major shoulder surgery and is still very much in the recovery stage.  Due to other health issues, let alone just having had surgery, some things are very complicated for him.  And, as I mentioned in my 1st post, I was sick the earlier part of this week. 

We are just keeping our fingers crossed that we got enough heat into the coach before any freeze damage could set in.  We'll find out when we de-winterize for certain.  This is something my husband has always done, the winterizing of the coach....well, this lady now knows what to do too!

Thank you to each and everyone one of you that replied to my desperation....my husband thanks you as well. 

This is one site I would recommend to any RV'er.

Lori and Tom

P.S.

The reason I was not able to reach the tech was because of the depressed economy, they have downsized to the bare bones just to keep the doors open.  No one answered the phones when I called, until
this morning.  I have the tech's cell phone number now ;D

Back
Top Bottom