Can we use a short bed truck to tow a 5th Wheel RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulsandyhale

We are looking for a truck to tow a 33 ft Cardinal 5th Wheel.  My husband would like a Mega Cab on the Dodge Ram....however it doesn't come with a long bed it comes with a 6.4 short bed.  Would that work? or do we need an 8 ft bed?
Thank you for any information you can give us
Sandy

You do not need a long bed.  You can get a sliding hitch or a conventional hitch.  The slider lets you move the trailer back for tight maneuvers.  For everyday towing you don't need the slider.

I have a short bed and the dealer told me when I was backing it up in yard or a  RV site to slide the hitch back.  Well I did it the first couple times and decided one day to leave it in tow position and try it and it worked fine.  You just have to keep an eye on your cab and the front of the trailer because they will contact each other if your not careful.

If it was me I would recommend the slider hitch it is better to have it and not use it, then to need it and not have it. They come in auto and manual.

I'm pulling a 5th wheel with a Ford with a 6.5' box and a regular hitch. The front of my trailer is rounded though, it'll turn past 90 deg just a bit, but it sure fills up the rear window though.

You do not need a long bed even thou it would be nice.  The design of the front of some of the newer 5ers are such that pulling with a short bed is no problem.  If you do not have one of these 5ers you can get a sliding hitch.  I have pulled our 5er with our short bed F250 with no sliding hitch and no  problems for the last 3 years.

We use a super-glide with our short bed and love it!  There have been alot of places we have been able to turn tightly to get in the right place or out of the wrong area!  The hitch slides back further in the bed as you turn the truck.  The hitch is bolted to the bed right in the front of the rear axle.  We also put a fifth airborne kingpin on our fifth wheel to smooth out the ride.  Good Luck

I want to thank everyone who replied to my question.  You gave me some information Again....thanks!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom