Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russ, thanks so much for photographing "The Drenching" so we have a permanent record and collective memory.  I've never seen either of the Brewers that wet!  ;D

ArdraF

wendycoke said:
I wouldn't have believed it possible, but you look wetter than you did on the Colorado whitewater rafting trip out of Moab. I can only hope that you weren't as cold !!!

Wendy,

Fortunately it was not cold at all.  The first wash of water across my bare feet in the bottom of the boat took my breath away but after that  even the waves of water over the boat did not feel as cold as it felt wet.  And YES I was considerably more wet that Colorado River trip. Ears are still full of water.

Tom,
While the water moved swiftly, this was not nearly as dangerous as the Lower Kern River  in high water season.  I did show them my scar and told them about that adventure and they assurred me nothing like that could happen.  The rapids on Kern are filled with massive boulders that caused our raft to flip.  But all of that said it will be a while  before Terry gets me into another thrill ride.

September 5, 2008 St Andrews and St Stevens Side Trips

Today was another bright sunny day so we headed south of Saint John to visit St Stevens. Now I am one of those people who can typically live their whole life without chocolate. (Chips and Salsa are another story) Well I think I had just never met the right chocolate. Our destination today, The Ganong Chocolate Museum, was at the recommendation of several friends. All I can say to them is thank you , thank you! I learned that Ganong Bros. is a Canada?s oldest candy making company and was founded in 1873.

The Museum is located in their former chocolate and candy-making factory . The museum tells the story of the history of this family owned company. The 5th generation Ganong family is still running the company. The company survived the depression and sugar rationing and is still able to compete with the big candy makers like Hershey?s and Cadbury?s. We saw videos of the factory making candy. Factory tours are no longer offered as folks with peanut allergies and insurance liabilities stopped this touring a year or so ago. The best part of this visit was that they offered all the chocolate you could eat! It was a bargain since our admission fee was only ? price as we had been given a 2 for 1 coupon at the visitor center. The chocolate covered almond flavored caramels were my favorite. It was hard to fit the tasting in with my Weight Watcher points. I did not get much else to eat the rest of the day but boy was it worth it. We saw sculptures of chocolate and very interesting handmade boxes. This company was the first to introduce heart shaped boxes. Some of the machines still used in production today date back to 1912. They do mail order business and you can shop online at www.ganong.com. I will be doing this for special occasions.

Since St Stephens is right on the border with Calais , we took the opportunity to see where we will be crossing the border back into the USA in a few days. I am also reading up on the food items I will not be able to bring back into USA and having meals to use up that food.

From This little town we ventured back up coast to St. Andrews, one of the oldest and loveliest resort towns in the Maritimes.( or says the tour books) This historic quaint town offered us the first clam chowder we have been able to find in a long while. Seafood chowder is the usual fare but we wanted the clam variety . It was yummy and we had a seat overlooking the bay while noticing dozens of tourists get off of the whale watching vessels. I let the guys have a seat on the town benches while I took a leisurely stroll through the shops. Many art shops offered the crafts of artists from New Brunswick. If I had not already picked up so many souvenirs I may have had to make a purchase but enough is enough. St Andrews was founded right after the American revolutionary war. Colonist who were still loyal to the King of England, picked up lock stock and barrel and moved. We were told some even took their homes down piece by piece and transported them here by barge. There are many old historic homes in this small town. Parking was free and the atmosphere festive. They have a wonderful campground out on the end of the Bay and had we known it may have been a good place to stay as we neared the border. There is lovely golf course and nice park on the water as well. Are you reading this Jeff?

Our final tourist stop was at the Huntsman Outdoorsciences Aquarium. A local fisherman found a 22 pound lobster estimated to be over 35 years old. After much city debate it was decided that this gal nicknamed Dee Dee should not be boiled but preserved in this tank for to visitors to see. The lobster fetched $1000 for the fishermen. Lobster are expensive any way you see it!  She was shy and hid behind the wall but I did capture a photo of her claw with my hand for perspective.

My passengers slept in the car as I took my turn and drove us home back to Saint John.

Attachments

• IMG_7204.JPG
    IMG_7204.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7203.JPG
    IMG_7203.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7215.JPG
    IMG_7215.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7221.JPG
    IMG_7221.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 46
Keep 'em coming Betty. Lots of folks are following along (see above).

Apologies for the sidetrack; I'll try to get it cleaned up and moved to a separate topic.

Edit: Split and moved.

September 6,  2008  Saint John City Bus Tour

Today was foggy and rainy.  I did not leave the motor home all day  so I shall tell you about the  tour we took the other day.  Here at Rockwood RV Park there was a big sign with a phone number for a  2 hour  city bus tour of Saint John. ($17.00 per person) The bus picked us up right beside our motor home.  We were the only two passengers on this big bus designed for 40 passengers.  Doug our guide,  told us it has been a slow year for tourism.  He had not had any passengers on his morning trip.  He was driver and guide and was born and raised in Saint John.  His wife teaches Special Ed at the junior high and  has already started back to school.  We made 2 other stops to pick up passengers but no one was there.  I am going to give you random things I recall from this very interesting trip. 

When we drove the  car in to take the Reversing Falls trip a  few days ago we had already discovered some of the interesting and diverse areas of interest.  I liked this city right off.  It has old world charm with big city modernizations.  The traffic was typical big city and much construction in town delayed and rerouted the bus tour course.

Saint John was discovered in 1604.  It sits at the mouth of the St John River that empties into the Bay of Fundy.  In  1783 Loyalists fled the Boston area after the American Revolution and some 3,000 settlers came. In 1840 the potato famine in Ireland brought another influx of Irish .  Since then  immigrants from all nations have found a home in Saint John.  The present population is 75,000.  People work in the local industries that include a  natural gas terminal, in oil refineries, in government positions and in tourism.  Three large cruise ships were in port on our tourist day.  It sure swamps the downtown area when they emerge from their huge ships.  Irving Company is headquarter here.  KC Irving was among the 10 richest men in the world at his death, with an estimated wealth in the billions of dollars.  He was from  New Brunswick and  made his fortune by  buying companies. He had deals with Henry Ford to  sell the autos here , then he purchased the shipping lines to have them transported.  He was quite a  philanthropist too and made many donations to the city.  We see Irving fuel stations all over the Maritimes. The Irving pulp and paper mill sits right across from the reversing falls. It manufactures Kraft tissue paper.  They don?t give tours.  We passed by the  big Sims  plant that makes paint brushes and brooms.

Many of the churches and fancy old homes are built of red  stone that was used as ballast on the English ships coming over.  Instead of just dumping the stone, the settlers used it for construction being some of the first forms of recycling.  The English came  looking for the lumber from the nearby forests to  use in the  ship building industries. Kings Square was built in the middle of the town and features one of the nicest City Markets I?ve ever visited.  I could not  help but notice the contrast to the  city markets we visited  in  Mexico.  I recognized every fruit and vegetable and I knew how much it cost.  I saw lovely produce and even better looking meats.  Too  bad the USA will not let us bring  any of this in when we cross back in a week or so.  We had the good fortune to get to go inside the Imperial Theatre which was in its hey day in the  early 1900?s.  It has recently been refurbished and was saved by locals who did not want to see it demolished due to disrepair.  A taxi driver led the  mega fundraising and  now it hosts  plays, concerts and events .  It is absolutely gorgeous inside. Unfortunately nothing was playing during our time here  or I would have gotten a ticket to attend. 

The park in Kings Square is home to numerous  statues  honoring war heroes, founding fathers  and citizens who helped  two shipwrecked men.  It is beautifully manicured and the bandstand in  the middle is home to summer concerts which are now over.  Terry and I commented on the lovely median in the middle of the road alive with brightly colored marigolds.  We learned that is a project done by local elementary school children.  They start the marigolds from seed in school and then the streets are blocked off for them to plant.  It sure dresses up  the city.  We were told a former Mayor made sure the city had plenty of flowers planted.  They are hard  and expensive to maintain however, with the winters.

We passed by many beautiful churches.  Indeed the skyline is filled with spirals and steeples and neat looking architecture.  We were told about one in particular that sailors used to navigate.  When the ship could line up the  3 sister lamp (see photo) with the salmon on top  of steeple  and one other place I don?t recall, then they could navigate safely into the harbor and not hit rocks.  I am left with a desire to return to several spots of interest.  This is a wonderful city. 
Sorry if I botched  any facts.  Two hours of interesting dialogue and two days ago , this old memory just does not retain like it used

Attachments

• IMG_7118.JPG
    IMG_7118.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7160.JPG
    IMG_7160.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7169.JPG
    IMG_7169.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 41
one of the nicest City Markets I?ve ever visited.  I could not  help but notice the contrast to the  city markets we visited  in  Mexico.  I recognized every fruit and vegetable and I knew how much it cost.  I saw lovely produce and even better looking meats.

You left off clean!  ;) It does look nice.  Did you get to enjoy any of the PEI potatoes while there?  I hadn't had really fresh potatoes in many years and they were so nice.

What a neat idea that mayor had to have the children plant seeds and then replant around the city.  That's a great way to have the children be able to see the end result of their efforts.

I don't remember the story of the mariners lining up the three lights and church steeple salmon to use as channel markers.  Aren't people inventive!  When we first moved to Redwood City CA there was a gigantic salt pile because Leslie Salt had evaporation ponds in the area.  We were told it was a major landmark for pilots flying into San Francisco.  But the salt pile was a whole lot bigger than that light post and salmon!

ArdraF

Betty your  memory was good, the only point I could pick you up on was that the Loyalist left from Long Island NY, mostly from Oyster Bay, in what was referred to as the "Spring Fleet", which arrived in New Brunswick in 1783.  Avery small point, since with its close proximity, Boston might have been a logical exit port.

Betty Brewer said:
September 6,  2008   Saint John City Bus Tour
Irving Company is headquarter here.  KC Irving was among the 10 richest men in the world at his death, with an estimated wealth in the billions of dollars.   He was from  New Brunswick and  made his fortune by  buying companies. He had deals with Henry Ford to  sell the autos here , then he purchased the shipping lines to have them transported.  He was quite a  philanthropist too and made many donations to the city.  We see Irving fuel stations all over the Maritimes. The Irving pulp and paper mill sits right across from the reversing falls. It manufactures Kraft tissue paper.  They don?t give tours. 

Betty

When we last enjoyed the Maritimes 2 years ago, the group we were with were able to stop and tour an Irving lumber mill somewhere in Nova Scotia. Among other things we learned that KC Irving had 3 sons and each one runs (ran?) one part of the company; one for oil, one for transportation and one for forestry.

September 8, 2008 Saint John City and St. Martin

Today was very sad. Russ left us. We have been traveling together since April and today he ventured back across the border to the USA. His time line is tighter than ours and his destination of Iowa by October 1 sent him off earlier than our schedule. Last night we said our good byes over the photos of our wonderful Atlantic Canada travels. So now we are on our own. Terry and I have only a few days left in Canada and then I will end this journal hoping that those who followed along will someday be able to travel in our footsteps or at least enjoyed our trip vicariously.

It was a beautifully sunshiny day. As I was doing some business on the computer I noted the trailer next to us was leaving. Wait, what?s wrong with this picture? He still had his electrical cord and water hose attached and his mat out. I hollered for him to stop but he did not hear me. Terry got on his shoes and ran out the driveway while the electrical cord bounced along the gravel, the water hose had already pulled off of his trailer. When Terry caught up with the guy and informed him of his problem, he was very embarrassed and came back to his sight to retrieve his water hose and mat. He is from Oregon. Don?t we all need reminders to do the walk around check before we leave a campsite?

My agenda today was to return to the center of Saint John and attend the New Brunswick Museum. It was one of the top 3 I have visited on our travels. Despite my tourist overload this museum had areas of interest covered in a very interesting way. It covered the lumber industry, the ship building industry and artists works. The 25 minute film on the Bay of Fundy was alone worth the price of admission. Too bad but no photos were allowed. We also viewed the spiral staircase in the courthouse built years ago with no structural support. We walked the Kings Square again and were better able to enjoy the statues and monuments. We walked the City Market again and I bought some seaweed that was advertised as something like potato chips. No way. The Firefighters Museum was closed so we missed that venue. I learned that it was closed for lack of volunteers to keep it open at this time of year.

As it was still sunny and bright we moved up the coast for a car trip to tour St. Martins. It was the beginning of The  Fundy Coastal Drive. It had the best scenery we have seen on a coastal drive in New Brunswick. We went through covered bridges and saw lovely shores. We came to the Sea caves and I had my first cup of sea chowder of the trip. It was delicious! We walked on the stone beaches at low tide. It was not easy walking but I did have on my sensible shoes. There were several tour busses offering side trips for cruise ship passengers so we knew we were in ?the ? spots to visit. I loved all of it.

Attachments

• St. John32 (Medium).JPG
    St. John32 (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 38
  • St. John42 (Medium).JPG
    St. John42 (Medium).JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 33
  • St. Martins04 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins04 (Medium).JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 32
  • St. Martins06 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins06 (Medium).JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
  • St. Martins14 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins14 (Medium).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 37
  • St. Martins18 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins18 (Medium).JPG
    94 KB · Views: 35
  • St. Martins19 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins19 (Medium).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 32
  • St. Martins23 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins23 (Medium).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 37
  • St. Martins26 (Medium).JPG
    St. Martins26 (Medium).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 34
What delightful photos!  Looks like a neat area.

ArdraF

September 9,  2008  Final Day in Canada, Saint John

We slept in.  It was gloomy and overcast and rained in late afternoon.  We wanted to use up all of  our Canadian money and  headed toward the fuel station.  Terry put $30.30 of fuel into the car to use up our last cash.  We have 7 cents left and the  $2 required to cross the toll bridge in the morning as we leave Canada.  We enjoyed another dinner at the Restaurant at Reversing Falls.

Tonight we reflect on the things we look forward to as we return to the USA.  I will  enjoy using miles, gallons and US currency, where  I can identify a quarter without reading the small print on it.  I will enjoy the use of the US mail system where I understand a stamp.  I will enjoy shopping where I can buy brand names I am familiar with, like Morton salt.  Terry is most looking forward to clams, Mexican food and Olive Garden .

I loved visiting Atlantic Canada.  If we had just visited Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick it would have been as our Journal title indicated, The Maritimes, but because we  also visited Newfoundland, it is more accurate to say Atlantic Canada.  Whatever  we call it, this part of Canada is wonderful.  I learned about the history of Canada and noted how we are more similar than different.  We found folks friendly  outgoing and helpful .  My favorite place was Newfoundland and Twillingate in particular.  It is not likely that we will ever visit this neck of the woods again but we have our memories and photos to remind us of the wonderful times.

Tomorrow we start our farewell to the East Coast tour.  After providing a post with  information on the border crossing, I will not be  doing a daily journal.  I  will miss the closeness I?ve felt by talking to my forum friends every day.  I hope you will consider traveling to this part of the world and that my  travels will guide you to some good times.

Good bye my friends, or

Au Revior mes amis

Terry and Betty

Thanks so much for taking us with you.  All of your reports and the photos were great.  Looking forward to seeing you on the east coast.  Will send you an email in the next day or two.

We're going to miss our "Daily Betty" read very much.  I remember the withdrawal symptoms we experienced when your Mexico trip ended.  I'm girding for similar withdrawal while missing your Atlantic Canada trip postings.  Great job, Betty!  Thank you so much for your time and effort spent in taking us along with you.  And, thanks for the photos, Terry!

So .... where are we going next year?  :D

Margi

Nice job Betty.  We so enjoyed reading your adventures.  And welcome back into the good ol' USA.  ;)

Daisy & Fred

Thanks for sharing the travels of the Brewers and Mahoney. Maybe we'll get to that area some day and if we do, we'll have your experience to rely on. Maybe we'll never get there, in which case we were able to enjoy seeing the area through your eyes. Either way, we win.

Thanks
Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjoutdoors
Back
Top Bottom