Can't figure out what kind of rig I need!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ganchan

As a newcomer (on a tight budget) trying to wrap his head around all the possibilities of full-time RV life, I've been bouncing from one type of potential rig to another. Maybe you can help point me in the right general direction?

Let me describe my plans. I hope to get a used setup for cheap, which of course narrows my options right there. I'll be following the weather to minimize heat/cold issues, and most likely using the rig primarily for eating and sleeping. (During the day I'll be driving to a new location, exploring said location, and/or earning my way as a freelance writer at whatever local coffee shop has wi-fi.) When I hit one of the cities I've always wanted to see in depth, or when I need to hunker down for the winter/summer, I'll staying for a month or longer at RV parks and hooked-up campsites. So you could call it semi-urban RVing. I'll be traveling alone, so a minimal amount of space is OK.

So far, I've considered getting:
-A full-size van, either by itself (if I can afford to convert it) or as a tow vehicle for a used teardrop or FB "egg"
-A pickup truck with used cab-over camper

I get the feeling that anything larger would be too expensive to buy, fuel, or maintain.

Either the van or the truck (if it's got a decent towing capacity) could handle a little trailer. The van would offer an extra cargo area and also serve as a temporary living space in case the trailer had to go in for repairs, etc. But then there's the whole "Ew, you live in a van?" thing....

I dunno. My head is spinning.

Decide what you want/need from what you buy.  For example:

Do you want a bathroom? -pick-up camper.
Do you want an inside kitchen? -pick-up camper.

Make up your list and see what is then the fit for you.

I would figure out your budget then start shopping.
Determine if there are any features that you have to have.
Look at as many rigs and combinations that you can that are in your price range.

Take lots of notes.
As you look at more options,I believe that you will develop a feel for what will work best for you.

When we decided that we wanted a trailer,I didn't know if I wanted a fifth wheel,a popup,or a travel trailer.
We decided how much money we had to spend,determined what our tow rig would handle then started looking.
The only thing we knew for sure was that we wanted a bed we could walk around,the rest we figured out as we looked at craigslist,RV dealers and any other place we could find one.

Back
Top Bottom