Can't find Manchester fill valve V20138

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgnprof

My Fleetwood Storm is a 2015 and I can't seem to find the fill valve anywhere. I bought a V13414 thinking it was the same and while close it's different. I've been trying to communicate with Manchester tank - they tell me the V13414 is NOT a replacement for the V20138.

This is really ridiculous - you can buy the V13414 all over the place, the V20138 is special order and the only ones I've been able to track down - contacts given to me by Manchester - will only sell to licensed contractors! And it will take weeks, probably longer...

The V13414 fits my tank, but it must be just a bit off in terms of the 80% fill float. I'm trying to figure out if I can "make it work"... pretty sure that I read somewhere where someone bent the float arm a bit to get it to more closely match the older V20138.

When my fill valve began leaking(bad sealing gasket), I contacted my LP supplier for my stix N brix. I showed him a picture of the valve and he said I can get that, a week later he called and asked when I could drive my MH to his business for replacing the valve.
The new valve and his labor totaled $165.
I had to completely empty my MH LP tank first, so I asked him for advice how to do that; he said park the MH outside and open the bleeder valve. It took 3 days for ½ tank of LP to empty.

Thank you guys! Yes, I did see the one from HighSky, but when I looked initially it showed it "out of stock"...but now I see the 1-2 mos and was trying to get to this sooner than that.
Currently, my tank is empty and I've already pulled the old V20138 valve and I had actually installed the new V13414 valve. But then I got to thinking "Did I install it right - notch at 6 or 12"?
That's when I discovered that the 2 valves were slightly different...and that the floats are actually opposite of each - float down on V13414 when notch at 12 and float down on V20138 when notch at 6!
See pics!

Attachments

• V1346o'clock.jpg
    V1346o'clock.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • V13412o'clock.jpg
    V13412o'clock.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • V2013812o'clock.jpg
    V2013812o'clock.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • V201386o'clock.jpg
    V201386o'clock.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2
Thank you guys! Yes, I did see the one from HighSky, but when I looked initially it showed it "out of stock"...but now I see the 1-2 mos and was trying to get to this sooner than that.
Currently, my tank is empty and I've already pulled the old V20138 valve and I had actually installed the new V13414 valve. But then I got to thinking "Did I install it right - notch at 6 or 12"?
That's when I discovered that the 2 valves were slightly different...and that the floats are actually opposite of each - float down on V13414 when notch at 12 and float down on V20138 when notch at 6!
See pics!
What significance has the notch? my tank was made by Bruner Engineering, Bedford, Indiana, but I doubt they had a special fill valve made because they are an industry standard universal design. My LP supplier ordered and received it in a week.

The notch is so you know which position the float is in when you start tightening down the valve (I'm assuming). I'm almost certain the proper installation of the float is down (pics 2 & 4 above) and in those 2 pics of the 2 different valves the notch is at 12 o'clock in the new valve (pic 2) and 6 o'clock in the old valve (pic 4). I know the arm of the new valve (V13414) is a bit shorter, but I can't see where that would make any difference. With the float in the lower position - as you fill the tank with propane the liquid pushes the float up until 80% full and then shuts off the valve as the float points out straight (pics 1 & 3) so you can't overfill.
This was confirmed by a local propane company a bit ago for me and he couldn't see a problem in installing the V13414 to replace the V20138. They are angled pretty much the same but if you didn't pay attention to the location of the notch you could easily install the valve - and the float - 180 deg out.

OK, so the notch does not have to be at 6 instead of 12, just so the float is properly positioned. That means the new valve will work in your tank.

That's my understanding - I think...:oops:
You know - you think about something too long and end up confusing yourself. Although a rep from Manchester told me that all of the valves were ALWAYS installed with the notch at 12:00 - I just don't see how that's possible with the 2 valves that I have - unless my thinking about how these things work is wrong??

Thanks!

I went ahead and installed the V13414 and went to get my tank filled. Turns out with this valve installed the tank will only take 7 gallons (14.1 gal tank) - it should hold 11.3gal +/-...

HighSkyRV is the only place to order the exact replacement (V20138) and after charging you a $12 (EXTRA) processing fee and another $45-50 to ship (ARE YOU SERIOUS??)...the total cost for the valve is over $200.

What a rip-off - you can find the V13414 all over the internet for $50-80...

This is really irritating - sorry just had to vent!

That's my understanding - I think...:oops:
You know - you think about something too long and end up confusing yourself. Although a rep from Manchester told me that all of the valves were ALWAYS installed with the notch at 12:00 - I just don't see how that's possible with the 2 valves that I have - unless my thinking about how these things work is wrong??

Thanks!
Float droops when valve is open, level when valve is closed. Mine was installed that way by my LP supplier. When /if I ever get my MH back I can look at my valve to see where the notch is positioned.

Back
Top Bottom