Can't get my gfci to reset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clwofford

Please help...two days ago i was watching tv when all my outlets connected to the gfci went out. I immediately unplugged the TV and the space heater that i was using. I started with the breaker within the RV and it was not tripped . I went ahead and turned them off and on just to be sure. Then i checked the gfci. It would not reset. I also checked the main power box outside and the wired running into the RV and everything was okay. I decided to replace the gfci just in case it was bad. No luck...still no power. I have a Texan by skyline 2011. Does anyone have any idea what could be my problem?

GFCI's are tricky.

1- Try unplugging everything before restting the GFCI.
2- Try hitting the trip button before pressing the reset button
3- Try wiggling the reset button to get it to stay. Sometimes the mechanism isn't wonderful and has nothing to do with electric.
4- Replace the GFCI

It sounds more like a circuit breaker or connection feeding the GFCI is tripped. Note that a GFCI will not reset if it has no power to it.
If you have a meter check to see if you have 120VAC to the GFCI, if not, check at the circuit breaker. Actually turn it fully off then back on, it may appear to not be tripped but is.

Was it raining when you lost all power? If it was, check your outside receptacles. You may have gotten water inside one of them.

Rene T said:
Was it raining when you lost all power? If it was, check your outside receptacles. You may have gotten water inside one of them.

^^^^ what he said.  We had one that did the same thing, tried new GFCI etc.  Turned out to be a short in something plugged into an outlet we didn't even know existed.  The outlet was under the sink in the kitchen, the last thing in the chain that the GFCI was protecting.

Wire at breaker may be loose. I had that happen on my previous 5er. I tightened all of the breaker lugs and believe it or not, several were loose. Unplug the RV from AC power first.

There are 3 reasons a GFCI won't reset, IN order of suspect

1: Ground fault, IN this case it will reset for like 1/60th of a second  I have that problem from time to time.. A common location (not the problem I have) is the patio outlet, the seal breaks down on the cover and it fills with water,  Instant ground fault, and the click of darkness.  My problem is elsewhere and I cause it so I know how to fix it.

UNPLUG everything on the GFCI chain,, Open the patio outlet, fix if needed RESEAL.

Other suspects include the fridge, NO reason for it to be on GFCI chain but.. Well many are.

2: NO POWER: tripped circuit breaker, broken wire, bad connection... I found many of the connections in the power distribution panel were not all that tight.  This includes mis-wired GFCI's but if it used to work,, Not the issue.

3: And this one is actually rare... Defectrive GFCI. But it does happen.

When we had a similar problem a few years ago we went through all the steps you've done and those so far suggested, including replacing the GFCI outlet.

Unbeknownst to us at the time, there are two breakers on our Magnum converter/inverter.  They are on the left side and when they feel overloaded they pop out, displaying about an inch of white rod.  If that's the problem, just push the popped one back in and all will be well -- until the next time it feels overloaded and pops out -- usually on a cold and frosty morning while you are still in your PJs and have the space heater, coffee maker, and big TV on and your wife pulls the trigger on her hair dryer!

Hope that helps.

Don

Back
Top Bottom