Can’t get rid of odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRB

I have a 2017 Salem travel trailer. About 2 summers ago it developed a distinct odor towards the fall. We seasonal camp in the summer and use it every weekend. This particular summer we used downy in the black tank and would only dump every 2 to 3 weeks. I have cleaned the black thoroughly. We have camped multiple times using full hookup and flushed the tank good. We have also put a recommended deodorizer down the grey tank. The only way to describe the smell is dried leaves in the fall. There are no leaks. I have tried an ozone to rid the smell without success. Deodorizers do nothing. Does anyone else have this issue or have and suggestions.

I do, but I have taken every rug, linen, bath towels out and the smell continues. All surfaces have cleaned and floors cleaned. Completely emptied under storage that is accessible under bed.

Welcome to the Forum. It could be coming from your air admittance valves from the gray tank. Those tanks sometimes smell worse than the black tank. One is usually located under the kitchen counter next to the sink. Look for a vertical pipe . On the end of that pipe will be the valve. This valve allows water to enter the piping g when you drain the sink water allowing the water to drain relatively fast. It also stops the trap water from getting sucked out. . Also the bathroom sink may have one. Put a zip lock bag over the valve and tape around it real good. See if the smell goes away in a day or two. These valves are cheap and are available at Lowe’s and Home Depot.

When we fulltime traveled on the 5th wheel I used to have to really flush the grey tank with a wand and water pressure to clean the soap residue that smelled. It was not hard to do but made a difference when we got "that" smell.

When we fulltime traveled on the 5th wheel I used to have to really flush the grey tank with a wand and water pressure to clean the soap residue that smelled. It was not hard to do but made a difference when we got "that" smell.
How were you able to clean your gray tank with a wand. Typically a wand is used to clean the black tank by going down thru the toilet

Welcome to the Forum. It could be coming from your air admittance valves from the gray tank. Those tanks sometimes smell worse than the black tank. One is usually located under the kitchen counter next to the sink. Look for a vertical pipe . On the end of that pipe will be the valve. This valve allows water to enter the piping g when you drain the sink water allowing the water to drain relatively fast. It also stops the trap water from getting sucked out. . Also the bathroom sink may have one. Put a zip lock bag over the valve and tape around it real good. See if the smell goes away in a day or two. These valves are cheap and are available at Lowe’s and Home Depot.
Thanks, I will look into that.

You probably have a poop pyramid. Have you been leaving the black tank valve open? If so you will have to get a Camco wand to remove the poop pyramid. Chemicals will have no effect on it. It will be rock hard and only physical pressure will remove it.

Last edited:
"Earthy" smell implies black tank but agree that the first thing to check would be admittance valves. When I first got my RV I anticipated all sorts of odor issues, just how else could it work out when you're hauling around 80 gallons or whatever of sewage? But by design these are closed systems with limited input and output points. If you're smelling a black or gray tank inside the RV then something is compromised, either a drain or a vent. One assumes the plumbing was assembled correctly and the issue is a component failure like the admittance valve but there's more the one story on the forums where the tank vent pipe was not cemented in or something's busted, and the tank is venting inside a wall or under the floor. Point of all this is having owned an RV where everything was "tight", there should never be tank/drain odors inside. If there are, there's a reason and it's not resolved through tank chemicals or other flushing processes. Even a pyramid won't cause it, something else is going on.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

This particular summer we used downy in the black tank and would only dump every 2 to 3 weeks.
Why would you put fabric softener into the waste tanks? If you want to clean the tanks just fill each one about 1/3 full of fresh water and add a couple of cups of liquid laundry detergent just before travel, then dump both as soon as you arrive.
The only way to describe the smell is dried leaves in the fall.
It could well be that the odor is from the air admittance valve that is under each of your sinks. Check that as a possible.
th_under-sink.jpg

The smell from the gray tank is typically as bad or worse than that of the black tank, so I'm wondering if you might have a mold issue from water somewhere that it should not be? Have you tested the fresh water system for leaks? An easy way to do that is to disconnect city water and turn on the freshwater pump. With no water in use the pump should run briefly and then not run at all for at least an hour, usually more.

We do not have sewage hook up at the campsite. Therefore we used the honey wagon to dump every couple weeks. We were told to put the fabric softener in the tank to prevent the odor. Which it worked for that smell. But at the end of that season is when I started getting the odor that I can’t get rid of. I’m going to check to se if I have a air admittance valve.

"Dried leaves in the fall" doesn't sound (smell?) like a sewer odor. Not even sure it conjurs up a foul smell, i.e. rotting. That would seem to leave out tank odor, air admittance valves, and poop pyramids as a source. Not so sure about dead animal smells and they are typically well-hidden, even inside walls or behind cabinets. Chemical smells leaching out of materials such as vinyl upholstery or foam cushions is a possibility, but that's rarely a problem in recent years (including 2017). Some sort of mold could do it, and it can be well hidden.

We were told to put the fabric softener in the tank to prevent the odor.
In nearly 50 years of RV use and more than 25 years active on RV forums and RV clubs, this is the first time that I have ever heard of using Downy in a waste tank. If the tanks are properly vented, all that you really need to use is generous amounts of water.

In nearly 50 years of RV use and more than 25 years active on RV forums and RV clubs, this is the first time that I have ever heard of using Downy in a waste tank. If the tanks are properly vented, all that you really need to use is generous amounts of water.
Really? It was a fairly common practice, even before the popularity of Internet memes. Back in the day of formaldehyde-based tank treatments, various home brews were a popular alternative. Fabric softener and dishwasher detergents were tow of the popular ones.

"Dried leaves in the fall" doesn't sound (smell?) like a sewer odor. Not even sure it conjurs up a foul smell, i.e. rotting. That would seem to leave out tank odor, air admittance valves, and poop pyramids as a source. Not so sure about dead animal smells and they are typically well-hidden, even inside walls or behind cabinets. Chemical smells leaching out of materials such as vinyl upholstery or foam cushions is a possibility, but that's rarely a problem in recent years (including 2017). Some sort of mold could do it, and it can be well hidden.
Mold is my main concern. I just can’t find it where it could be. I keep check on the exterior for possible areas to leak. The roof looks good. I just had the it lap sealed and the shop said they saw no signs of leaks. I have had campers for 25 years and not had an issue like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom