Can't go over 50mph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky T

I have a Fleetwood Revolution and it has been sat up for a few months.  The batteries were dead and I had to charge them to get it started.  After getting on the highway I could not get it over 50 mph.  Anyone know what miht cause this?

Check your airfilter box.  We had a pickup with a similar issue.  We found a pack rat had made a nest in the airbox and the engine could not get enough air.  Cleaned it all out and fixed a few chewed wires and all was good.

I've also had mice in the muffler and it got so packed full the exhaust couldn't escape and I could get over 40mph.

i had a truck that suddenly did that and it was a clogged fuel filter starving the engine for gas. i could barely get up the hills by the time i got it in to service.

All of the above could be it. But it might also be a low battery charge and a poor charging alternator. It takes a good amount of power to run a motor. Goodluck and please let us know what you find out.

hes4all - "It takes a good amount of power..." (as in electrical power) to run a diesel engine... really? I'll am curious to hear your explanation.

I stand corrected, thought it was a gas coach. Wasn't given the model year but I am pretty sure that a gas powered Revolution was manufactured!

Fuel and air filters would be my first thought for any diesel performance problem. Air intake too, since birds and squirrels are prone to nest there.

To the best of my knowledge there was never a Fleetwood Revolution with a gas engine.

Michael Holden said:
hes4all - "It takes a good amount of power..." (as in electrical power) to run a diesel engine... really? I'll am curious to hear your explanation.
If power in your throttle position sensor is not right it can mess with you speed.  Of course most times it just kills all your power and the engine goes to idle.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Fuel and air filters would be my first thought for any diesel performance problem. Air intake too, since birds and squirrels are prone to nest there.

To the best of my knowledge there was never a Fleetwood Revolution with a gas engine.

Ya, your are right Gary. I thought forsure that I saw a older one on a workhorse chassis. Maybe it was a different model. Oh well. Most likely a filter issue, I would like to know what they find out!

Fuel filters are a place to start. With mine, I have to lube the turbo exhaust valve as it tends to stick when left for long periods of time.
If fuel filters are plugged with black substance, you need to kill the algae that has grown in the tank. I used soltron before and now stanadyne.

If all else fails.  Wait for a strong northern wind.  Grab the family and head south to Florida.  You will fit right in cause we don't drive over 50 anyways.  Just a little humor.  Good luck with your issue.

I didn't see what year it was, but if it has def fluid that runs low, the engine is designed to cut back to 50 mph until you replenish the DEF, then when you run out it will cut back to 5 mph until you fill it.  It's set in the ECU, European models don't do this, only American versions.  Gotta love the EPA. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom