Car Towing Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmith23

I am looking for advice from anyone that has both towed a car or trailered a car with a class c. I have a 2014 Leprechaun qb260 (28.5?) with a Chevy 4500 6 liter motor. I am wanting to know the differences in towing versus trailering. My Miata is not towable and I am trying to decide if trailering the Miata or possibly buying something else makes more sense.  TIA. Mike

One big difference will be the tongue weight applied to the motorhome. Towing four down adds maybe 10# to the weight of the motorhome. Pulling a trailer should add at least 10% of the loaded trailer's weight to the motorhome.

Yeah I figure no more than 500 lbs. tongue weight. I have roughly 3000 lbs. for cargo.

The only real concern is the added weight of the trailer to the total towing load. Most car trailers are fairly heavy, so when added to the Miata make sure it doesn't exceed the hitch rating of max tow capacity.

FULL DISCLOSURE
As the satisfied owner of a 2001 Crystal Blue Miata LS 6 speed, 137K miles ... ;D ;D ;D
I would find a way to bring the Miata.  Mine only weighs about 2400# empty.  Trailering will work for most Class C.

What year is your Miata?  While Mazda may not condone 4 down, it is likely they did not want to spend the $$$$ to see if it was OK.  If they say yes, they must stand behind any warranty damage, IF it occurs.  I know others here have flat towed Miatas with no problems, but I do not know what year.  The primary issue is tranny lubrication.  If splash lube is used, you should be okay.  Since I have a FW, I do not have a toad.

My Miata is a 2016 and it can?t be towed without voiding the warranty even if I wanted to. It is also too low to tow by the rear wheels on a dolly.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The only real concern is the added weight of the trailer to the total towing load. Most car trailers are fairly heavy, so when added to the Miata make sure it doesn't exceed the hitch rating of max tow capacity.

I am considering an open trailer so my less than 500 lb. tongue weight on my 5000 lb capacity hitch should work. I am more concerned with the handling characteristics with the trailer on back.

You probably won't even notice any handling changes, but acceleration will be reduced. Assuming adequate trailer brakes, stopping distance should be unaffected. The trailer should track fairly closely to the coach path, but tight turns may take the trailer on a bit of a shortcut. Or not, depending on the details of the hitch and tongue geometry.

msmith23 said:
My Miata is a 2016 and it can?t be towed without voiding the warranty even if I wanted to.

It is also too low to tow by the rear wheels on a dolly.

Both of your statements are wrong.

I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles.  I then towed a 2010 6-speed over 20,000 miles.

When it was butt-struck and totaled, I bought a 2012 6 speed and have towed it over 25,000 miles.

I have also helped more than 150 Miata owners to get their cars flat towable.  I know 2 owners who are towing a 2016 and a 2017 Miata.

ONLY MANUAL transmission cars are flat towable.

Tim

Tim: Thanks for more specific information on what years are towable.

In days of old, all manual transmissions were lubricated internally by the turning gears "splashing" oil all over the inside to keep things lubed.  No problems towing.  Some auto trans are similarly lubed, or lubed by a pump on the output shaft.  When the car is towed, the drive shaft turns the output shaft and any attached gears, so things get lubed.

Other transmissions have the fluid pump on the input shaft, so towing provides very limited lube.  An aux pump can provide lube while towing, making them 4 down towable with the pump.

Other transmission designs are simply not easily modified.  This includes shift on the fly 4WD because the transfer was has no neutral.

To the OP:  The ONLY part of any remaining warranty that would be voided by 4 down towing is damage CAUSED by 4 down towing.  Also, rear wheel dolly towing is NEVER advised because the car was not designed to run backwards faster than a few mph.  Tire alignment is set for going forward.

With that said, buying a flat trailer is also cheaper than setting up the Miata for flat towing.  Just make sure the trailer has brakes of some type - either surge brakes or drums with wiring for control from the tow vehicle.  Actual towing should be simple.

Warranty can be argued there is an act (I think the name is something like Magnason/Moss) that says they have to prove yoru modifications did the damage.. Now they have good lawyers so they may well be able to prove a decal applied to the paint did it. but .. I'm exaggerating ... slightly.

REMCO TOWING USA  store link. has a tool where you enter your car's vitals and they tell you what you need to do to tow 4 down. 

IF it is an Automatic Tranny.. Remco says "May not be towed, must be trailered" so... I won't say anything more (I went and entered 2016 Mazda M5 MIata only one engine was listed. and choose automatic. )

Now if it's a stick shift (manual) I did nto check that.

John From Detroit said:
Warranty can be argued there is an act (I think the name is something like Magnason/Moss) that says they have to prove yoru modifications did the damage.. Now they have good lawyers so they may well be able to prove a decal applied to the paint did it. but .. I'm exaggerating ... slightly.

REMCO TOWING USA  store link. has a tool where you enter your car's vitals and they tell you what you need to do to tow 4 down. 

IF it is an Automatic Tranny.. Remco says "May not be towed, must be trailered" so... I won't say anything more (I went and entered 2016 Mazda M5 MIata only one engine was listed. and choose automatic. )

Now if it's a stick shift (manual) I did nto check that.

I did check Remco and my 6 speed manual also must be trailered. The Mazda warranty is very specific about flat towing.

Mike

grashley said:
Tim: Thanks for more specific information on what years are towable.

In days of old, all manual transmissions were lubricated internally by the turning gears "splashing" oil all over the inside to keep things lubed.  No problems towing.  Some auto trans are similarly lubed, or lubed by a pump on the output shaft.  When the car is towed, the drive shaft turns the output shaft and any attached gears, so things get lubed.

Other transmissions have the fluid pump on the input shaft, so towing provides very limited lube.  An aux pump can provide lube while towing, making them 4 down towable with the pump.

Other transmission designs are simply not easily modified.  This includes shift on the fly 4WD because the transfer was has no neutral.

To the OP:  The ONLY part of any remaining warranty that would be voided by 4 down towing is damage CAUSED by 4 down towing.  Also, rear wheel dolly towing is NEVER advised because the car was not designed to run backwards faster than a few mph.  Tire alignment is set for going forward.

With that said, buying a flat trailer is also cheaper than setting up the Miata for flat towing.  Just make sure the trailer has brakes of some type - either surge brakes or drums with wiring for control from the tow vehicle.  Actual towing should be simple.

I am considering an Aluma tilt trailer that weighs 1500 lbs., has electric brakes and a front air dam to protect the Miata from damage. Pricey but a very good trailer.

Mike

healeyman said:
Both of your statements are wrong.

I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles.  I then towed a 2010 6-speed over 20,000 miles.

When it was butt-struck and totaled, I bought a 2012 6 speed and have towed it over 25,000 miles.

I have also helped more than 150 Miata owners to get their cars flat towable.  I know 2 owners who are towing a 2016 and a 2017 Miata.

ONLY MANUAL transmission cars are flat towable.

Tim

Tim I agree that the first 3 generations of the Miata were towable. The ND is a different animal and I am not willing to get into a pi***ng contest with a service manager over something that is specifically addressed in the Miata?s warranty. The amount of resources required to win that argument is not worth it.

Mike

msmith23 said:
I am considering an Aluma tilt trailer that weighs 1500 lbs., has electric brakes and a front air dam to protect the Miata from damage. Pricey but a very good trailer.
Mike

It has electric brakes  :)) Front air dam  :)) :))  a very good trailer  :)) :)) Pricey - only once then after that you get to enjoy.

After the sides of a friends car were badly keyed, I used an enclosed trailer to carry my Austin Healey to both coasts.

Tim

Mike

Are you saying the ND is a different animal because you believe it is not towable or because of what you believe to be an issue with the warranty?

As I said above, I know an owner towing a 2016 and an owner towing a 2017.  Roadmaster makes base plates for the ND series.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom