Carburetor tuning/Idle speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilton

On to the next problem lol, the other day I took my 74' Minnie Winnie up to the gas station and only made it right down the street before dying. It idle's fine in park until it gets to running temp then starts to run a little rough. When I put it in gear, drive or reverse it dies. Had to rebuild the carb and dropped the gas tank to clean it out, (rv sat for a long time and had rust in tank so was getting dirty fuel). Now that I have everything back together I'm having just about the same problem, (still might be a little dirty fuel in the lines). The rv does not have an rpm gauge, how do I set the fuel and air mixture and idle speed on it, I know about the two screws on thew front of the carb but not sure how to set them when I don't know the rpm's. Any help here would be great or if you can think of another thing to check as far as "motor dies when I put it into gear"

Thanks.

First, adjust the idle mix screws on the base of the carb ( 1 for a 2bbl, 2 for a 4bbl) individually for max rpm and smoothness. Then adjust the idle speed screw (on the linkage on the side of the carb) for enough rpm so the motor runs smoothly when the MH is in gear and stopped.

What engine? I know with all of the other stuff you did this sounds like a silly question but did you change the fuel filter (s).

One other thing to try : remove the idle adjust screws (engine off).  put them one at a time into the chuck of your fastest electric drill.  spin the drill while holding a piece of fine steel wool over the point.  Shortly, the screw point will eventually become quite clean & shiny.  This can have a positive effect on smothness.  Try it - it's free.

Back
Top Bottom