Card lock fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Foto-n-T said:
Yes & No.  Back in the days of carbureted engines this was very true but in the world of today's high performance electronically fuel injected power plants things are a bit different.  My Hyundai runs along quite happily on unbranded fuel, my Victory motorcycle on the other hand will let me know within a couple of tanks of Maverik gasoline that it is not happy with my choice.  Having said that I do run branded premium in the car simply because I can get non-ethanol Exxon still here in Wyoming and the car sits for long periods of time without running.

I do agree with you, most of the top tier stuff is just fluff but fuel injectors are finicky contraptions.  A few years ago when I was in the fuel distribution business and Shell came out with their "Nitrogen Enriched" pitch I was curious as to how an inert gas benefitted the fuel burn of gasoline.  I guess they figured that if people were gullible enough to put it in their tires why not use it to promote gasoline.

I Totally Agree. But "Fluff" being the operative ??

In case anyone was still interested. If your diesel only there is no issue getting a fuel card for Pacific Pride or CFN.

I wrote a blog for my company on it. (disclaimer I work at a Pacific Pride / CFN franchise)

https://www.staroilco.net/why-does-a-rv-owner-need-a-pacific-pride-or-cfn-card/

One of the biggest benefits is that the gas at these stations are fresher then smaller stations. Trucks are constantly using them.

taliorn said:
In case anyone was still interested. If your diesel only there is no issue getting a fuel card for Pacific Pride or CFN.

I wrote a blog for my company on it. (disclaimer I work at a Pacific Pride / CFN franchise)

https://www.staroilco.net/why-does-a-rv-owner-need-a-pacific-pride-or-cfn-card/

One of the biggest benefits is that the gas at these stations are fresher then smaller stations. Trucks are constantly using them.
Great, I like easy access for my diesel.

Do you need to fill out both the Pacific Pride and CFN application or are they separate cards/companies?

Same application with my company. For others I'm not sure. Basically you just need to check the cards your interested in.

I recall that when I looked into this a few years back, one of the issues was that there was no way to find out how much the diesel costs.  I think some people said they would determine what station they wanted to use and would call a number to get the price.  That didn't sound like something I wanted to do.

Is there currently any way to find out what the diesel price is at the cardlock locations?

The way pricing works at a Cardlock facility it is the cost of wholesale fuel that day + freight & additives + Taxes + and finally the margin you pay through whomever is issuing the cards. 

This means that Cardlock facilities is charging what ever is the most current price for gas. When gas prices are rising they are more expensive as they fall they are cheaper. At a gas station you pay the same formula but it is only the price of the last load. If you find a gas station that is 30 or 40 cents cheaper then others and prices in the country are rising you are likely buying fuel that has been sitting around for a while.

That being said it depends on the company you work with for pricing. My company charges RV customers the same margin as a company with 30 vehicles. Our pricing usually is about $.05 different then a local station. Sometimes more sometimes less. That all depends on the movement of the market.

What you do get from a cardlock station for diesel is fresher fuel, easier in and outs and and quicker stops. And one of the most important aspects is your not sharing it with the regular drivers.

This is your biggest savings: one fender bender with a driver that doesn't understand your maneuvering, stopping or starting speeds can cost you a bunch.  If you have to pay a $500 deductible you would need 10,000 gallons of gas to balance this out in addition to losing a lot of time on your trip.

In the end if your comfortable with what your doing, I would stay with it. If you are looking for an easier option then find a company that can get you fuel cards.

So I'm gathering that there's no way to find out the price.  And I think the price isn't even posted at the location itself. 

I have a big motorhome and fill up at truck stops pretty much exclusively.  I'm actually mixing it up with cars less there than I am out on the streets.  :)

Well there is IF you open up an OPIS (Oil Price Information Service) account. Figure out freight and additive prices, add all local and federal taxes and then add the margin your Card provider usages then you have your total.

Obviously that is way to much work for the average person.  I can review prices in an area and give you a trend. If your looking for a specific area I can let you know what the prices are vs gasbuddy. 

Fuel is a commodity.  The prices are going to be within a few cents... sometimes better, sometimes worse. If your paying cash or debit you may average better prices by hunting for the bargain. If you pay by credit card... well you'll likely average better prices at Cardlock.

Back
Top Bottom