Carlisle Tires??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone have problems with Goodyear Marathon tires. I have 15" D load that came with my 5th. I have traveled about 2,500 miles so far on 4 trips and store the trailer inside when not in use. I always keep the tires at 65 psi and cruise between 55 and 60 mph. I have not had any problems, but after reading these post am a bit concerned because we are taking an Alaskan trip in June next year. I can see us traveling at least 7,500 miles on that trip.

Stan

Marathons are ST rated tires and made in China.  In other words - Crap.  Any non-Chinese LT tire would be better.

I replaced 5 Marathons with less than 3,000 miles on them.  One blowout, three more with signs of impending tread separation, and the spare had sidewall bubbles.  I'm very careful about tire pressure and speed.

donuts said:
Anyone have problems with Goodyear Marathon tires. I have 15" D load that came with my 5th. I have traveled about 2,500 miles so far on 4 trips and store the trailer inside when not in use. I always keep the tires at 65 psi and cruise between 55 and 60 mph. I have not had any problems, but after reading these post am a bit concerned because we are taking an Alaskan trip in June next year. I can see us traveling at least 7,500 miles on that trip.

Stan

After following RV forums for several years and all I've read about problems with Marathons, I think I would get new LT tires before going to Alaska.  I wouldn't extra problems on a trip like that.

kjansen said:
After following RV forums for several years and all I've read about problems with Marathons, I think I would get new LT tires before going to Alaska.  I wouldn't extra problems on a trip like that.

Do they make light truck tires in 15" for trailers? Also, any brands you would recommend?

Stan

I am another one who switched to light truck tires. Lt tires are rated a 99 mph, weight rating is a little lower, but are required to have a 20% weight reserve. They are designed to move people. The design rating by DOT is much stricter because of that. St tires cannot meet these specs, so are rated for trailer only. XPS ribs are one of the best tires made, weigh much more than most LT tires, that weight is more steel, poly cords and more rubber. I went with bf Goodrich commercial TAs. Made in America by michelin, quality control is great. Cost is higher, you get what you pay for. We now have almost two years and 30,000 miles not a problem. I for one will never go back to STs. Our unit weighs about 13,500 loaded, when you have a problem with that much weight behind you it could become serious very quickly.

Wayne

wmcclay said:
I am another one who switched to light truck tires. Lt tires are rated a 99 mph, weight rating is a little lower, but are required to have a 20% weight reserve. (The weight rating is molded into the tire's sidewall.) They are designed to move people. (All DOT tires certified for highway service are allowed to carry passengers). The design rating by DOT is much stricter because of that. St tires cannot meet these specs, so are rated for trailer only. XPS ribs are one of the best tires made, weigh much more than most LT tires, that weight is more steel, poly cords and more rubber. I went with bf Goodrich commercial TAs. Made in America by michelin, quality control is great. Cost is higher, you get what you pay for. We now have almost two years and 30,000 miles not a problem. I for one will never go back to STs. Our unit weighs about 13,500 loaded, when you have a problem with that much weight behind you it could become serious very quickly.

Wayne

I bought 4 Carlisle tires and put them on my 2007 Montana Mountaineer, gross dry weight 10735. I weighed it at 13110, ready to travel. I have pulled it from Denver CO to Washington DC to West Virginia to Texas, probably 5000 or more miles.  I have had no problems with the tires at all. I do check the pressure before beginning a trip and check the temperature with an infa-red  thermometer when I think about it.  I pull at 60 to 65 MPH and will exceed 70 getting a run at a hill.

If you check the internet, all tire manufacturers have law suits filed against them.  I researched very thoroughly before I bought the Carlisle tires. Carlisle did have a bad rep several years back, but have supposedly made a lot of changes in the manufacturing process and materials. The tires I bought weighed more than Michelin or  Goodyear, if that means anything. The sidewall is very stiff and the tread area is better than many. I will have more of a definite opinion on the tires in 2-3 years and another 15000 miles, but for now, they are doing fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaySmith
Back
Top Bottom