carpet or laminate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering, after the carpet is removed, do you need to install under-layment (plywood) before installing the laminate?

Scott  :)

We went to a carpet store and bought two remnants.  Paid $25.00 and cut them to fit.  Easy with a sharp knife.  They just lay in place and don't move.  We have cats and appreciate not hearing the click click click of their nails walking across a hard floor in the middle of the night. 

Marc L said:
I dislike carpet and removed the small section we had in our trailer.  I also removed all the carpet we had in our house.

I find carpets to be a breading ground for all sorts of microorgamisms.

I agree.Carpet should never be used in a RV period Especially if you have kids and animals in and out all the time
I have yet to see a used RV that Still had  decent carpet in it.usually well worn out

The best product for you to consider would likely be Luxury Vinyl Tile (or Planks), which are composed of a vinyl base and made to look like tile or wood (just like laminate)

Steve is that a brand name (Luxury Vinyl)? We want the good stuff since it won't take that much sq.ft. in a MH!

Edit: Removed excessive quote.

Cynphony said:
Was wondering the same thing. We have a 2005 Dolphin LX.

http://i46.tinypic.com/303ag5z.jpg

Edit: Fix URL to make live

this vinyl planking after carpet removed and new plywood floor installed slide does not mark floor at all
easy to clean and looks like wood. lots of labour to do this job though

Very nice job! Can see a little of your vinyl floor in the hallway. Is that new too and what brand?

In my 5ver....I am installing a handscraped laminate in the living area/toilet area and a small area in the bedroom.

You may want to consider if you'll be camping in cold climate in the winter months then you may want to stay with carpet.

A commercial grade, while a bit more pricey, may be easier to keep clean.

About 8 years ago we installed vinyl plank type flooring in our house, it was made by Karndean. We wanted real wood but with two Labrador retrievers we knew that would be a battle. We chose a plank style about 7 x 42 inches that looks pretty realistic. More importantly after 8 years it shows no wear yet even near the entry doors where sand and water is frequently tracked inside. Also, you don't get the clicking sound when you walk on it like you get with something like pergo.

I plan to install it in the RV when we get to removing the carpet, someday.

Their website is www.karndean.com

I used self-adhesive tiles...look like slate.  Used grout with acrylic additive between.  Laid over vinyl flooring.  Just cleaned the vinyl REALLY well and went over it lightly with a sander.  I let the tile warm up in the sun before laying to soften it and help it lay down better. 

Attachments

• RV30S.jpg
    RV30S.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 37
  • RV31S.jpg
    RV31S.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 33
Vinyl is the only way to fly for RV floors. Ceramic tiles for house floors. Whoever invented carpet and or laminate floors should be horse whipped. Suspect it be the same culprit who invented panty hose for ladies and neckties for men. It may have come from the Devil. I aint sure.

UncleShiloh said:
Vinyl is the only way to fly for RV floors. Ceramic tiles for house floors. Whoever invented carpet and or laminate floors should be horse whipped. Suspect it be the same culprit who invented panty hose for ladies and neckties for men. It may have come from the Devil. I aint sure.

whatever turns your crank I guess? I like my ceramic tile,Genuine hardwood and Vinyl plank in my 41ft 4 slide unit.makes for a nice mixture.
Altough Laminate works very well in some areas of a motor home.Looks good also if installed correctly
I cant imagine a 300K MH with solid lino floors. Pretty chinsy looking to say the least.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom