Cats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our RV Resort made a concerted effort to capture and relocate all feral cats last year. This year we have a plague of Palm (roof) rats.  The cats never moved into RV's!

Ernie

A state park near here had problems with feral cats a few years ago. Volunteers trapped them and the humane society neutered them and returned them. The problem was solved in a couple of years.

ChasA said:
A state park near here had problems with feral cats a few years ago. Volunteers trapped them and the humane society neutered them and returned them. The problem was solved in a couple of years.

Shocking, I just don't believe it. Do you mean to say doing the reasonable/ responsible thing  for a lesser creature actually panned out for the best?

What will they think of next

The excess cat population in our hood is taken care of by our hawks and eagles. A couple of years ago I watched an eagle grab a big cat, took it up to a tree limb and pecked its head a couple of times then flew off above the trees. Eagles gotta eat too!!

catblaster said:
  The excess cat population in our hood is taken care of by our hawks and eagles. A couple of years ago I watched an eagle grab a big cat, took it up to a tree limb and pecked its head a couple of times then flew off above the trees. Eagles gotta eat too!!

We have birds of prey around here too (hawks, eagles, osprey, etc.). I've seen them snatch snakes off the yard, as well as a medium-sized cat once. I liked that!

We don't have too many birds of prey in my neighborhood even though I live just down the street from catblaster. We do have ducks of prey and sandhill cranes of prey. ;D

AnRVAndADog said:
We have birds of prey around here too (hawks, eagles, osprey, etc.). I've seen them snatch snakes off the yard, as well as a medium-sized cat once. I liked that!
Maybe put some cat food out in a wide open space, to lure the cats out there,  to help the eagles and hawks get a better visual  ::)

SpencerPJ said:
Maybe put some cat food out in a wide open space, to lure the cats out there,  to help the eagles and hawks get a better visual  ::)
I have a cat and a few ducks living under my house and they seem to be doing fine. But every spring the ducks hatch about a dozen eggs and we have a family of adorable ducklings parading around. Unfortunately every day there is usually one less duckling. The full size ducks have no problem, the ducklings are a light snack.

Attachments

• Duck tenants.jpg
    Duck tenants.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Duck parade (1) (1).jpg
    Duck parade (1) (1).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 15
SeilerBird said:
I have a cat and a few ducks living under my house and they seem to be doing fine. But every spring the ducks hatch about a dozen eggs and we have a family of adorable ducklings parading around. Unfortunately every day there is usually one less duckling. The full size ducks have no problem, the ducklings are a light snack.

I think your duck tenants are a protected species in Florida. Back in 2004 I was remodeling my pool in-between hurricanes. I took the screen down, blasted and recoated the pool, had to pause for a hurricane, those ducks crapped in my pool and the stain is STILL there. Neighbor warned me about shooting them with a pellet gun... Harmless plastic pellets, I shot 'em anyway... Ducks didn't even care...

AnRVAndADog said:
I think your duck tenants are a protected species in Florida. Back in 2004 I was remodeling my pool in-between hurricanes. I took the screen down, blasted and recoated the pool, had to pause for a hurricane, those ducks crapped in my pool and the stain is STILL there. Neighbor warned me about shooting them with a pellet gun... Harmless plastic pellets, I shot 'em anyway... Ducks didn't even care...
There is no way I could shoot any type of a gun at anything.

SeilerBird said:
There is no way I could shoot any type of a gun at anything.

THe main reason I do not have a gun is I have no doubt of my ability to use it. and to hit the target..

I take that back I do have some "Guns" like the IR. Thermomemter. I "Shoot" the tires and hubs with it to tell if one is overheating.

John From Detroit said:
THe main reason I do not have a gun is I have no doubt of my ability to use it. and to hit the target..

You don't have to explain having a gun or not having a gun. It's your business and I'm not overly motivated to lecture anybody...

John From Detroit said:
I take that back I do have some "Guns" like the IR. Thermomemter. I "Shoot" the tires and hubs with it to tell if one is overheating.

I have one of those too. Once I installed TireMinder I no longer use it.

Daffy said:
Cats by nature are a clean animal, just like raccoons and skunks.

You walk your dog frequently and I hope you pick up after it, with those little bags of dog doo start putting them wherever on the ground they choose to bed down. If necessary save some male urine in a bottle and spread that around as well. May not be the most "clean" way of handling the situation but I made a skunk family move away with this method and I live in the sticks where gunshots are barely noticed.

Didn't want to dispatch a skunk that way for obvious reasons, tryed the spice route and I think they were sniffing it and calling relatives..

After they have moved on clean up and hose down.

Had a friend who came up with an ingenious solution and PROBABLY would have worked if he could have pulled it off.  Since cats are sensitive to other cats urine, the bigger cat will always mark and override the smaller cats. Well, he went to the zoo and attempted to buy as much lion pee as he could get to spray around the troubled area. Zookeeper agreed that would probably work, but  Unfortunately they wouldn't sell him the lion pee. Great plan foiled by a doo-gooder!!!  ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom