CB Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uniden. This is the one I'd like to get eventually:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=twister_B00VRF2RI0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Most radio's perform the same it just depends on the bells and whistles you want. Get the best antenna you can afford. A bad antenna can make an expensive radio sound bad and a good antenna can make a cheap radio sound good.

But if you really want to stay connected get your Amateur radio license. The equipment gets better and the range is alot better. The test is easy nowadays!

But if you really want to stay connected get your Amateur radio license. The equipment gets better and the range is alot better. The test is easy nowadays!

That's true, Tom, though you still have to study for even the Tech, but it doesn't help when you want to talk to non-hams, which is why I ALSO have a CB, in addition to my 2m/70cm mobile. And the OP asked about a radio for caravan use, therefore likely to need short range to other rigs, most of whom won't be hams.

To the OP: Personally, I like Radio Shack (Tandy/Realistic) and Midland, as well as those already mentioned.

What is a good non ground antenna? Are there any good through the glass ones I did have one on my cap (not a great one but for only $5 what do you want) but a tree took it out, and I have to replace it.

canuckrv said:
What is a good non ground antenna? Are there any good through the glass ones I did have one on my cap (not a great one but for only $5 what do you want) but a tree took it out, and I have to replace it.

There are several through-the-glass ones out there, and there are a number of mag-mount units around, too. Neither requires holes in the vehicle. Through the glass loses efficiency (the coupling across the glass) but works for many purposes. A mag-mount, especially on the roof, will do better. And the longer it is, the better, though that might not match your needs (garaging, etc.).

We use a mag mount which is convenient.  We remove it when we're at home for example.

ArdraF

canuckrv said:
I would just have to find some metal to stick it to.

That is getting tougher -- the hood of my 2007 F-150 is aluminum, and I understand most of the body on the new ones is, also. There's also more and more fiber and/or composite in use these days, for weight reduction.

In the heyday of CB  there were two companies that dominated.> COBRA and JOHNSON

Radio shack (though often laughed at) actually competed well. their best radio was equal in independent lab tests to Johnson and Cobra #2,, but equal in price to #3  This relationship continued down to the bottom of the list.

COBRA is still there.. I would not hesitate to recomment them. Though I have 3 different brands here my main CB  is a Cobra.

Larry N. said:
That's true, Tom, though you still have to study for even the Tech, but it doesn't help when you want to talk to non-hams, which is why I ALSO have a CB, in addition to my 2m/70cm mobile. And the OP asked about a radio for caravan use, therefore likely to need short range to other rigs, most of whom won't be hams.

To the OP: Personally, I like Radio Shack (Tandy/Realistic) and Midland, as well as those already mentioned.
Hi Larry, Yea I was just throwing it out there for the OP just in case there was any interest.  I think we may have had a QSO your call looks familiar! As for an antenna IMHO the through glass has alot of loss although they work ok. I would look for a top load or center load antenna similar to the Trucker series K40 or something. An antenna has 2 parts the radial and the ground. The ground being the vehicle the vertical being the Radial. Good luck!

There is also a mount of SS that attaches under the hood and extends out over the fender.  The alum hood is fine as reflector, but alum magnets are in short supply. 

Hi All
I bought a Fleetwood Bounder 36S Class A and I want to put a CB in it.
How does this sound:
Cobra 29 LX
RG58AU cable/ PI259 Connectors
RoadPro RPPS-2B antenna

Been many a year since I did any CB stuff so everything is light years beyond my experience. Also, the RV has very little metal so I am not sure where to mount the antenna. Any help will be appreciated.

Looked up several sites looking for antenna specifications.. No where did I see the words "NO GROUND PLANE"

Most motor homes do not provide a ground plane (Fiberglass is not a crappy ground plane.. It is not any kind of ground plane at all)  I would recommend a NO GROUND PLANE antenna such as a Firestick or my Radio Shack.

I suspect road Pro makes some as well but did not did that deep into their web site.  A regular antenna mounted on a fiberglass body is 1/2 of an antenna and will not work well  may even damage your radio.

A NGP antenna will work on both fiberblass AND metal. however if your RV is metal sided performance will be degraded (With all antennas) .

For a caravan, why not just use FMRS walkies? You can get the better ones with a pretty fair range for around $40 to $50, and if everyone is using the same channel/sub-channel, you could stay in contact for up to several miles on flat terrain, and at least a couple miles on hilly terrain.  And it would be less money in most cases.  Just a thought.

The last time I had a CB was LIGHT YEARS ago. I lived along Interstate 71 in Ohio.  I went out for donuts and coffee on a Sunday morning with my then 8 year old daughter and had the CB on. Some lovely trucker began filling the airwaves with a vitrolic stream of obscenities before I could get the thing turned off.  I removed the CB radio that afternoon and it went in the next garage sale.  It's always too bad when some inconsiderate person has to ruin everything for someone else. I had enjoyed that Single Side Band radio and seeing what skip waves I could catch.

S

Thanks John
I forgot about "ground plane". Thanks for the refresher! Any ideas on mounting? I would love to mount it on the roof for height, perhaps on the AC unit(s). The sides are metal and the side mirror don't go up far enough to clear the roof.
i expect to be out west over flat terrain in time and aside from talking with other drivers it would be emergency communication where cell coverage is weak.

I hear ya on the profanity. It got so bad when I was on air long ago you couldn't get a decent conversation with some bone head swearing all over everything! I trust with cell phones, texting, etc, the air waves may be open again. Tell me if I am wrong.

Steve - We've found that the FRS radios don't work as well as CBs when we're in a group.  Now when we go four-wheeling everyone has a CB, otherwise CB people in the middle of the group have to relay what others have said using their FRS.  It got to be too frustrating using both and the CBs were better.

ArdraF

Well my "House" is of fiberglass.  I measured and mounted the antenna on the "A" pillar using half a mirror mount bracket any 90degree flat mount will work)

The tip of the antenna is at 12' 7 inches.. Highest other point on the RV is 12' 6"    Since the antenna is well ahead of said high point (Air Conditioner) that's where it mounts. Cable passes through a hole behind the bracket.. Seriously sealed Looks very good, works better than where i had it before (lots better).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom