CDL wouldn't it be safer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

Not tryin to recruit anyone to drive faster, or us more fuel. Just asking that if driving slower is safer, then wouldn't it be a whole lot safer if everyone took the test for a cdl?  again I'm not tryin to make everyone upset or mad, just asking.

This was answered elsewhere but RVing is not a commercial endeavor and there is no need for a requirement for a CDL.  Some states, like Texas, do require a class B (non-commercial) license to drive any vehicle over 26,000 lbs. and some also require an air brake endorsement.  Should there be some requirement for demonstrating competence to drive a large vehicle, I think so, but that's not likely to happen as these requirements are determined on a state level.

I'm all for safety, but it is not clear to me that having a CDL would make you a safer driver. For example, does knowing how an air brake works make you safer?

HERE are some sample CDL exam questions - see what you think.

What is that we RV drivers need to know/learn to be SAFER drivers?

RV Roamer said:
For example, does knowing how an air brake works make you safer?

[

Yes if you are driving a rig with air brakes.  Not having a basic knowledge of how air brakes work and having them can be very unsafe IMO.

One important item that all large vehicle drivers should learn is how to be a defensive driver.  That means avoiding aggression and doing what is necessary to keep you and your passengers safe, regardless what other drivers are doing around you.  There are way too many offensive drivers out there, and that includes RV drivers.

If nothing else, everyone should take the AARP 55 Alive course (or whatever it's called today).  It's 2 day course and you'll learn more safe driving tips in those 2 days than you have in your driving lifetime.  The trick is remembering them :)  The course may also get you a discount on your auto insurance as well.

In my opinion, one of the things that makes a driver of a large vehicle (such as a 40' diesel pusher)more capable, therefore safer is learning to drive 8-10 vehicles ahead of you, you cant wait for the car in front or even the car in front of him to apply their brakes and you react, you need to watch 8-10 cars in front you and react.

A particular drivers license does not teach you that...........and I agree that some knowledge of the working of air brakes is a good thing....especially if your rig is equiped with air brakes.

I understand that just because you have a cdl doesn't make you a better driver, but if you had to take the time to go and apply for it, do the written, and driving test(with all the check list they require) then either A you wouldn't want to take the time to do it, and thus one less driver on the road, or B learn your motorhome, or even travel trailer.

I think the understanding of the braking system either air or hydro is a must for anyone driving them. Learning how apply the brakes is even over many peoples head. A understanding of the drive train, engine, and mainly steering too me is a must wether you have the cdl or not.

I have met people who have never driven anything bigger than a car..these people need to have some basic understanding before the drive something else IMO I am by no means better than them, but seat time with a good driver, or instructor is too me a must.

By the way, 6.5mpg on a 1600 mile trip vs 8mpg.. saves me $200
saves $20 on a 200 mile trip.

Kevin,

Many of us in the RV Forum have taken the Dick Reed's RV Driving School course and found it worthwhile even though we had driven RVs for years.  The people who teach it are both RVers and former truck or bus drivers so they give many tips that help us understand not only our own large vehicles but also how truck drivers view things.  To me that's far better than a CDL, which as pointed out elsewhere, is for commercial drivers.  When you look at the CDL book there's a lot of stuff that simply does not apply to RVers.  Less comprehensive RV driving sessions can be taken at various rallies such as FMCA or various manufacturers like Monaco.

The Dick Reed's RV Driving School can be found at http://www.rvschool.com/

ArdraF

It might be safer if all RVers at least studied for the CDL test but......

The fact is it would be a whole lot safer if Professional drivers actually Studied for the test every once in a while

For example.. Should you break down either in the lane or on the side of the road, and let's assume that, like me, you actually carry DOT triangles or flares.. How do you set 'em up.

I can tell you I have seen some amazing flare patterns,  And I'v eseen flares when they should NOT have been even on the truck.  I've dang near been killed by a trucker's flair pattern.

I don't have a CDL.. But I do know how to lay my triangles  I will give you PART of it

If on the shoulder you set the first triangle (or flair) 10 feet behing your ride, at the curb (or just shoulder wise of the curb)

The next triangle is 30 paces (roughly 90 feed) from the first and in the middle of the shoulder.  The third triangle or flair is an additional 90-100 feet back and at the grass side of the shoulder

If you are in the right lane it's the same patten but moved over into the right lane

If you are on a curve, over a hill or on a 2 way road  READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (I have it in my towed, which is where I also keep the triangles  Since normally with the MH the towed is "Chasing" me.... And so far every time I've spread triangles.. I've not had the motor home (But rather the towed)  Also,,, Thankfully.. I was being a "Good Sam" and spreading them on behalf of SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now that's just one page in the CDL manual... Which many professional drivers need to re-read.

However that said... There is a lot about driving my RV that is not really the same as a truck and a whole lot about trucks (Which (I have driven) that is nothing at all like a Class A RV, even a DP with air brakes. 

I would make the same recommendation made up-thread by someone else and suggest RV driving school.

(You see one difference is My brother has a 20 foot long tractor and a 40 foot long trailer.. ... I have a forty foot (well 37'7") long tractor and a 20 foot long trailer (My towed) plus tow gear = 59 Feet, That is just one difference between CDL and RV-L)

Kevin, I see people every day who have CDL licenses driving down our highways and one in three is exceeding the speed limit.  One in fifty is on drugs, one in 17 has had a driving ticket since they got their CDL.  Does this make them safer drivers?  We have CDL drivers crashing on our highways every day of the week.  Probably a lot more than we have rvers crashing.  Does this make them a safer driver?  I had a CDL and a motor cycle license at one time.  I have neither any more because I have lost the site in one eye.  But I drive a motor home and I have no problems driving it.  Utah law does not allow one eye people to have anything but a regular drivers license.  Should I also give up rving because of this? 

While a CDL might be useful for all motorhome drivers, just to clarify a CDL is not required in Texas to operate a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use. (Recreational vehicle defined as including travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper and motor home.)

kevin said:
Not tryin to recruit anyone to drive faster, or us more fuel. Just asking that if driving slower is safer, then wouldn't it be a whole lot safer if everyone took the test for a cdl?  again I'm not tryin to make everyone upset or mad, just asking.

That CDL sure doesn't make a safe driver only the driver can make themselves safer. 

I think if would be more useful to update our driver's license's test for the general public.  And teach them how them the do's and do not's  when driving near or around a large vehicle. Like driving around a large vehicle, than hitting the brakes to make a right turn. Or stopping for a red light well past the white line. So then, there in not enough space for someone coming from the opposite direction to make a right turn.

People don't like to drive behind large vehicles, but the should be taught to deal with them.  They are there, and that's a fact of life.  Be it a delivery truck, large eighteen wheeler, or a motorhome.

I have gone up to 12 years without taking a test.  And I think the state of MI, has never updated theirs . I did not have to take a test for my SD license.  So it will be at least 17 years before I have to take another test.  Sometimes I think, that all they care about..is that you can see.  I had to take a eye test.

That's just how I feel
Barb

While I would not favor a CDL for aLL RV drivers I would like to see some form of uniform standard for drivers.  The CDL was intended more to promote a uniform standard nation wide.  It also has had the effect of weeding out a lot of bad drivers by stopping the practice of long haul drivers having multiple licenses in several states to cover up bad driving records.  While it might be a pain in the neck, I would see nothing wrong with requiring older drivers to have vision and hearing tests oftener than every 4 years, and some form of physical and maybe a written test after a certain age to test mental alertness. As an insurance agent, I say the problem many times over the years.  Such as a gentleman who had two accidents in one year because he couldn't get his foot on the brake in time.(Was walking with a walker)  Aging problems do not come all at once, but are very gradual. Some people who cane handle a small car in quiet streets are not safe driving a 40' MH traffic. Lest anyone think I am bashing the elderly, I would be one affected, but I hope I will recognize when the time comes to stop.
Tony

Tony

I am very mixed about this.  In the motorcycle world good training makes a difference and saves lives.  In the car world drivers education also makes a difference.  In the truckers world I think it makes a difference.  That said in each of these categories I have seen a lot of well trained idiots thereby telling me there is a percentage that just will never get it no matter how much training is completed.  My first hauling days were with motorcycle and horse trailers.  Drove those for years and eventually managed not to back into things and understand the dynamics.  Fifth wheels were a challenge and learned how to drive them.  Got up to 37' with my last 5r.  No one said Phil you have to do this or not do this although bits of info were offered by others.  I drew from the sum of my experience from cars, bikes, small trailers and employed common sense.  No ego involved, longer following distances, no rushing, watch the traffic as far ahead as possible, read the road surface, anticipate others, maintain tire pressures and other systems and just simple things.  When we bought the MH its shocks were bad and we were all over the road like a drunk sailor.  One hundred miles were like 500 miles for a trip as I had to employ every skill I had to drive the thing with an intense focus.  I thought all MH's were like this and wondered why people spoke so highly of them.  Between this forum and a local guru I was able diagnose the problem, put new shocks on it and it is fun to drive now.  I am still learning the PM routine for the rig, seems like a British Motorcycle in that regard.  Annual inspections are a must, air pressures need to be monitored, fluid levels need to be checked in order for the rig to drive correctly.  On the road I always flash fellow RVer's and trucks when they pass so they can pull in appropriately.  I stay out of the fast lane unless there is need and try to be as respectful to all around me.  I have found over reacting to things is foolish and dangerous.  Learning to just flow with it works for me.  My biggest challenge will be turning the rig over to DW :eek:.  We will be going to one of the FMCA in the future and we will get into a drivers training course.  We can continue without the training but it will not hurt and if it makes us safer so be it.
I do not know if a CDL will enhance what we do having never obtained one.  I do know that attitude and awareness make a difference.  I agree some training, such as FMCA or what other groups offer, will add to the experience with a "right headed person".
Good luck,
Phil

Ron said:
That CDL sure doesn't make a safe driver only the driver can make themselves safer. 

Very true RON.. Just because you have a CDL does not make you a safe driver

And just because you don't, don't.

Here in Detroit there used to be a company, Ray Molder Trucking IIRC  They hauled Gasoline and such for independent gas stations. 

They are bankrupt now... (So if there is a company out there with the same name this is a DIFFERENT company) have been for years.. 30 years ago we had what we called a "Ray Molder Special"

Gasoline tanker, on it's side, burning.  You see, for every "Big Oil Company" truck that flipped Ray flipped one.
Over 1/2 of the rolled over fuel haulers were his..

His trucks were ...  Not high quality,, Not something you'd be proud to drive

And his driver's records... Longer than the longest thread in this forum (I know I saw 'em)

Many of these folks, ALL of whom had CDL's were only allowed to driver to and from alcohol management class, to and from work and in the course of employment.

And they had a CDL and were halling Gasoline.

Now.. If the driver worked for Shell, or Gulf (Back then) or Marathon.. Well, they had driver records too

Driver License Number
Name
Date of birth
Address
Last renewal date and class and endorsements
End of record

I spent 10/12 years on the road driving my own semi......this was in the mid 70's to mid 80's and since those times, the rules have changed alot.......and I am sure for the better.  There wasnt the traffic back then, and speeding down the highway was a way of life (if you didnt get a speeding ticket at least once a week, you just werent trying).  You could enter down town Los Angeles between 1 and 3a.m and have an empty freeway....that has changed now too......I had a Nevada drivers license which for my job at the time was good....they had no resiprocity with other states and if you didnt get a ticket in Nevada, it didnt go on your record.....and at the time, there where no speed limits on the interstates in Nevada,...so you had to try pretty hard to get a conviction on your record....I did a lot of stupid things in those years and I am surprised in many ways I lived through them ( I had friends who didnt),but I am hopefully wiser now......... I knew how to hook up the trailer, adjust the brakes, those where required items to get what was once known as a Class A (for your state). The license didnt teach me a darn thing about responsible safe driving, and neither will a CDL.

John,

There was no CDL 30 yearts ago. The Ferderal motor carrier safty act was passed in 1986. Your example was just what the CDL was intended to put a stop to.  Today a driver with multiple accidents and or violations would be flagged and suspended much faster. It is much harder to jump from state to state or company to company or hold multiple licenses.  While I question if requiring a CD would be the answer, I could support some form of training requirement and testing. I do believe we, the RV community must take the lead in this matter or somthing mucvh worse such as a CDL rammed down our throat.
Tony

Barb said:
I have gone up to 12 years without taking a test.  And I think the state of MI, has never updated theirs . I did not have to take a test for my SD license.  So it will be at least 17 years before I have to take another test.  Sometimes I think, that all they care about..is that you can see.  I had to take a eye test.

Our 50 dwarfs in the AZ state capital came up with another brilliant idea. Once you get your driver's license, it is good until you turn 65. That can be 39 years later. When you are 65, your renewal license requires an eye exam and is then good for another 5 years.

I went over to DMV today to renew my license.  I asked for the CDL Study guide and they were very helpful.  I am going to review it.  It cannot hurt.  In NM you can do obtain a CDL within a window of 6 months.  Written test and a six month permit.  Then you do the driving test.  I may obtain a CDL for the experience.  I do not see me driving a school bus or being an OTR trucker.  The booklet did have some good info on airbags, air brakes and general mechanical things.  I wonder if a CDL in NM will transfer to Texas?
Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom