central vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Electrolux Yellow Jacket that came with our coach is adequate for most of our needs (we're not full time, no pets), and keeps the loose stuff picked up, and the surface stuff off the carpet (some deeper stuff, too) -- decent, but not great, suction. It's fairly quiet (main unit mounted in basement) and easy to use. When we get home we use a home-style vac to do a better job on the carpet, and mop the tile -- we sweep and/or vac when on the road, depending on our needs at the time. We do carry a small mop, too, along with broom and dust pan/brush.

And we don't need to find storage in the coach for a home-style unit.

My wife just had to have one of those Dyson rechargeables. It seems to be pretty good, I guess ill have to come up with some way to store it on the closet wall to keep it out of the way.

Tim

I just purchased a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton 40ih.  I have looked everywhere for the central vac system so I can check if it needs to be emptied, however I can not locate where they installed it????  I know dumb question, but does anyone have any idea where tiffin installed that on the 2018 Phaeton?

I have a 2017 Allegro Bus Lisa, and  it is not exactly the same but may be close. Mine is installed on the passenger side in the bay with the "skinny" door just in back of the 2nd large storage bay door.  Open the skinny door and look up. It's mounted on the back wall of the compartment.  The access door for the vacuum is right on the front.

Rene beat me to it. Follow the noise, or follow the vacuum hose behind wherever the pick-up hose plugs in.  It's unlikely that the vacuum unit is very far from the hose connection, so I'd look in the bays below it. May be mounted on ceiling of the bay or high on the back wall, so not always easy to see at a glance.

Some vacuums are surface mounted, typically in a cupboard or closet, and the pick-up hose plugs directly into the vacuum unit.  If the plug-in location is a plastic box of some sort, that is also where the bag will be. The cover should pop off. The Intervac surface-mount vacuum is an example of that.

https://www.thinkvacuums.com/intervac-surface-mounted-h-120e-compact-vacuum-in-black-with-accessory-kit.html

Senator said:
Get a real corded vacuum, with a brush.  The Shark Rocket is what we have.

We have the Dirt Devil central and love it. Just a small hose and a few attachments to store.

I agree with Rene!  I love the central vac.  Hose and tools are under the step, out of the way.  Cleans well.  Main unit is in the basement.

In our 5'er I have always used a battery powered Dyson. It holds just enough charge to do the whole rv and works amazing. Our Beaver has a central vacuum. I haven't used it yet but it's going to have to be pretty impressive for me to ditch the Dyson.

Gotta second the recommend on the battery powered Dyson.  Cleans WAY better than the central vac ever did, and I don't have to wrestle the hose, etc.  Love It! 

Shark pro vacuum is a lightweight two in one lift away vacuum that comes with a detachable canister. Shark professional is just a push-button process after which its canister is moved away and it becomes easy to clean the hard to access areas. There is also a brush roll shutoff system for easily switching between bare floor and carpet cleaning. Dust away hard floor attachment is there to pick the dust and debris from bare floors.

Rene, I installed a Dirt Devil CV1500 two years ago in my 39' coach. The two things I will warn you about are:

1) The longer you stretch the hose, the less suction you will have. The closer to the unit that you can vacuum, the better performance you will see. I installed mine in the bedroom closet at the back of the coach and now wish I would have installed it somewhere closer to the middle because when I try to vacuum around the driver's area, it doesn't have enough suction.

2) Since we have three long haired dogs, like Marty, we need the beater brush attachment in order to remove all the dog hair from the carpet. I have purchased not one, but two, Dirt Devil Rug Rat beater attachments with the suction from the unit turning the beater brush. After using it for two weeks, the beater brush refuses to turn anymore and in each case, the units turned into $50 wastes of money.

Other than those two things, we are happy with the unit. However, I will still drag my Kirby out to the coach before and after each trip to give it a really thorough cleaning.

We actually uninstalled our central vacuum unit. It wasn’t on the inverter so ihad to plug into power or turn on the generator to use it - not happening! Besides, that durn hose kept attacking me! We bought a battery powered Dyson Animal, and I love it. Does the motorhome just fine, and it grabs lots and lots of cat hair. It comes apart and stores in a cabinet behind the driver. Kevin made a cutout in the cabinet side to run the cord.

We had an Intervac system and it worked quite well, including using an extension hose to reach the far ends of the coach and even the car if pulled up to the entry door. Today, though, I might use a battery powered stick vac instead. In our stick house we have a Shark Cordless Pet Pro that works really well and doesn't take any more storage space thatn the wand & hose for the Intervac.

Our MH has a Dirt Devil central vacuum system from new in 2000. It is just OK. I bought a new Hoover cordless that does a much better job of removing dirt from the carpeting and works just as well on the tile.
It is much easier to use and maneuver than the 20' of Dirt Devil hose plus it has a carpet cleaning rotating brush. DW likes it so well she just bought a new Shark cordless with more attachments.
The old Dirt Devil hose and attachments filled a 20G plastic storage container, the Hoover cordless occupies a corner of the closet that was mostly unused but is very handy to access.

Since this thread was started there have been some pretty interesting changes in the realm of floor sucking machines. A couple of years ago on a whim I bought a Shark Ion Robot vacuum for my full time house in Wyoming. It did a good job of hopping up on area rugs and it even went under the bed and came back out in one piece (my late wife would be proud that I actually managed to vacuum under the bed) although a lot dustier. Along comes the fall and I'm getting the rig ready to head south for the winter and I think to myself, "Self, as much as you hate vacuuming the floor why not bring the robot vacuum along in the 5th wheel, what's the worst that could happen?"

As it turns out that robot vacuum does an excellent job on an RV floor and will collect more "stuff" than you might imagine.

Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom