Ceramic Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using a separate 20 amp cord to  the pedestal will work.  Don't go cheap on the extension cord - a contractor grade 12 gauge cord is much better than one with 14 or 16 gauge wire (lower numbers = thicker wire) since you'll be running it at close to it's capacity for long periods of time.  And thin wire will reduce the voltage getting to the heater, reducing it's output.

In my rig, I added a dedicated outlet for the heater, using a quality home style outlet and box.  It wasn't hard since my breaker box was centrally located and I could put the outlet close by, so it was easy to run the wiring.  If your main 30 amp breaker is full width you can replace it with a 30/20 amp dual breaker to get the extra circuit.  In my case, my box was already full of dual breakers, so I doubled up on the air conditioner's 20 amp breaker.  If I'm dumb enough to run the a/c and heater simultaneously I deserve to have the breaker trip.  ;)

Lou Schneider said:
Using a separate 20 amp cord to  the pedestal will work.  Don't go cheap on the extension cord - a contractor grade 12 gauge cord is much better than one with 14 or 16 gauge wire (lower numbers = thicker wire) since you'll be running it at close to it's capacity for long periods of time.  And thin wire will reduce the voltage getting to the heater, reducing it's output.

In my rig, I added a dedicated outlet for the heater, using a quality home style outlet and box.  It wasn't hard since my breaker box was centrally located and I could put the outlet close by, so it was easy to run the wiring.  If your main 30 amp breaker is full width you can replace it with a 30/20 amp dual breaker to get the extra circuit.  In my case, my box was already full of dual breakers, so I doubled up on the air conditioner's 20 amp breaker.  If I'm dumb enough to run the a/c and heater simultaneously I deserve to have the breaker trip.  ;)

As Lou said.....and buy the contractor 12ga cord that is rated for cold weather if you can as it stays more flexible when the temps drop, something you will appreciate when you have to unroll or roll up the cord.

Lou Schneider said:

That is exactly what I did Lou.  Only I put in two such outlets, since this is a 50 amp rig I put one on L-1 and the other on L-2, each has a breaker that feeds ONLY it, and 12ga wire, bent around a screw and tightened down good and proper.  Not one problem with that hook up to date. 

Two questions.....Were you using extension cords when the heater cords got hot? Have you tried plugging one into a house or shore power outlet directly and did that eliminate the problem?

Water Dog said:
Two questions.....Were you using extension cords when the heater cords got hot? Have you tried plugging one into a house or shore power outlet directly and did that eliminate the problem?

They weren't plugged into extenstion cords - I had them plugged directly into the wall.

Yep, they work just fine in my house. I'm in the process of trying to find a heater with a low setting of about 750 watts. Hopefully that will help. The one I was using was 1500 watts.

One thing on low voltages... It is not always YOUR fault.

I once stopped into a Campground (Was thinking about the nearby truck stop but wound up in the CG.. Turned out it was less expensive)

Well.. I could see the Wind Farm from where I was parked.. But the voltage was like 102.. the park was less than 1/3 full and the voltage was like 102.

First time I ever operated in "Line conditioner" mode. (This is where I parallel the inverter and main house batteries, turn off 120v to the inverter and turn ON the Progressive Dynamics 9180.  The inverter powers stuff that needs it (We did nto need Air Conditioning that night)  And the Converter ... Feeds the Inverter. )

-Also check if anything else plugged in elsewhere that may be on same circuit you plugged heaters into.
-When /if buying a 12G. extension cord, try to measure approx. length required for your purpose, and buy the one closest to your required length + a little extra in case measurement was off a bit.  Having too much extra length not advised either.
-In past I have, for piece of mind, replaced original cord on heater with 12G. cord as well, seeing how manufacturers always seem to work within minimal standards required. Just feel it carries the current better/safer.

Back
Top Bottom