Changing residency: FL, SD or PA? (duh, not PA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just over $1000 in Ca. In Nev the total came out  to over $3000. The big catch was that they wanted to know what I paid for the vehicle when new. It was about 3 years old at the time.  The registration figured that amount to estimate the fees.

Yeah, Nevada does that with regard to vehicle purchase price.  But the amount it adds to the registration fees falls rapidly as the vehicle gets older.

Just another reason to buy gently used instead of new, and if you buy used from a private seller or import a vehicle from another state a "reasonable amount of time" after the purchase (i.e. moving to NV from another state) there's no sales tax - an automatic 8% savings on the purchase price.

Wow! I'm so glad I decided to stay with a NY domicile! Motorhomes over 6951 lbs have a $70/year (paid bi-annually) registration fee. A few counties do collect a mass transit district or road use tax of up to $25/yr at registration time though.

Jeannine said:
Only in specific circumstances.  Most fulltimers need to renew in person,

Jeannine

Scott, if this is true, make sure you get your license when the sun is shining.  You don't want to be driving to the Dakota's in January.  Also, if you need to renew in person, doesn't that impact your travel plans to some degree. 

garyb1st said:
Scott, if this is true, make sure you get your license when the sun is shining.  You don't want to be driving to the Dakota's in January.  Also, if you need to renew in person, doesn't that impact your travel plans to some degree.

I don't have the same understanding as Jeannine but definitely something one needs to know - I will find out tomorrow.

Jeannine said:
Most fulltimers need to renew in person,
I just had a look at the SD DPS site where it discusses renewals for fulltimers. You don't have to appear in person, but you do have to provide a receipt proving one night of stay in SD in the last year. So it means you do have to go (once every five years), but you could literally fly or drive to the nearest/cheapest city, stay one night in a hotel, fly/drive home the next day then do the rest online or by mail. But no, can't be done 100% online

Another vote for SD.  My registration in my home state (Nev), the first year was $2500.  Second year was going to be $2400.  Re-registered it in SD, as an out of state non-resident, the SD registration was just $450. 
We have a 2017 Jayco Precept 35S flat towing a 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid. 
Handled this completely over the phone and snail-mailing some documents to SD.  Never been there (not yet anyway, will be going next Spring).  I'll put their link below.

http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom