Changing the A/C filter on my Meridian IKP36G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwchasteen

I recently spent some time looking for the air conditioner filter on my 2004 Meridian. According to the Operators' Manual, it should have been located "in a slide-in bracket inside the passenger side of the rear bed cabinet " and was to be accessed by lifting the mattress board.  Two accompanying photos show it in a vertical position near the passenger side gas prop.  Turns out mine is in an air plenum at the bottom of the bed side cabinet (passenger side).  It sits in a horizontal plastic frame at the bottom of the plenum behind a brown plastic grill which is attached, from the inside (!), to an 18" x 7  1/2" opening in the front base of the cabinet.  The filter is an ordinary 14" x 20" hardware store type with a cardboard frame.  (I doubt the previous owner knew it was there or changed it).
I can reach the filter by removing both of the drawers from the cabinet and could even remove it by folding it several times and pulling it out thru one of the drawer openings.  Now the question is how do I get a replacement filter into the plenum (in one piece)?  I can just touch two of the three small metal clips which hold the plastic grill in place from the inside and might be able to unscrew them but replacing them after changing the filter would be next to impossible. 
It's hard to believe Winnebago designed access to a filter which should probably be changed twice a year this way.  Hopefully someone else has solved this problem.  Finally, I wonder if there are any other filters hiding somewhere in the system. 
Any/all suggestions gratefully accepted.
Ancient Mariner

an

Yikes!  Mine is extremely easy to change.  What year is your Meridian?

The AC filter is the only one on my Horizon - the furnaces (we have two) don't have a filter.

John,
Thanks for making me feel better ;).  My Meridian is a 2004 purchased used (but in great condition) last Nov.

Bob

On my 2006 36G Journey, the house A/C filter is easily reached by lifting up the cover over that entire area, ie the space behind the plastic grill that you see through. That cover is reached by raising the bed. However the filter cover is not under the bed, but is the flat, carpet covered, shelf-like part (it is actually a piece of plywood about 15 or so inches by 14 or so inches) located above the floor next to the head part of the bed and next to the small drawer/radio /shelf located on the passenger side of the RV (on the left side looking toward the rear of the coach). On my unit, there is a small hole in the middle of it that you just stick a finger in and lift up the whole board. If you do not have a hole, you may have to just pry it up from an edge. Mine is not held in place by any screws, just a friction fit. Makes it real easy to change out.

Clayton

Clayton
    Many thanks.  Turns out my access is identical to yours.  Don"t know how I missed that finger hole in the middle of the carpet covered panel but then, so did Winnebago Customer Relations.  Shows once agaqin how invaluable the Forum can be!
BTW both the filter I removed and its replacement had "30 Days" printed on the frames but I doubt it had been changed in 6 yrs.
Thanks again, Bob.

rwchasteen said:
Clayton
    Many thanks.  Turns out my access is identical to yours.  Don"t know how I missed that finger hole in the middle of the carpet covered panel but then, so did Winnebago Customer Relations.  Shows once agaqin how invaluable the Forum can be!
BTW both the filter I removed and its replacement had "30 Days" printed on the frames but I doubt it had been changed in 6 yrs.
Thanks again, Bob.

Yes, there is a carpet covered piece of plywood with a finger hole that gives you access.  BTW: we put two filters stacked in series last time, then when it comes time to change, we move the bottom filter to the top and put the new filter on the bottom.  We live in a dusty part of the USA and it seems to keep the place much cleaner for not much $$.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom