Charleston and Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougar3514v

Due to some family matters, we've only been able to take one trip in the fifth wheel over the past two years, and we're feeling the symptoms of withdraw. It's unusual when breaks in my teaching schedule and my son's fall break at his school line up, but they did just that this coming October!  So we've got 4 days to kill.

My wife and I were thinking about Charleston, but my 11-year-old son is lobbying hard for Myrtle Beach.  Does anyone have ideas about what to do with a kid in Charleston?

-Dave

Thanks, Trailer traveler, I got the same sort of hits that you mentioned when I did a Google search.  I was just wondering if anyone had any preferences for their kids.  I may have made a mistake by not mentioning that Matthew absolutely loves audio tours.  He is enthralled when we take him to places like the Biltmore in Asheville, NC, where he can do a self directed tour with the audio guide.  Does anyone know if the places posted by Steve & Linda have audio tours?  Thanks again, everyone!

-Dave

I think the boat trip out to Fort Sumter and tour of the fort along with the aquarium and Charleston museum are good choices, but there are many, many things to do in Charleston.  We really enjoyed spending three days at Magnolia Plantation.  We toured the Plantation House, walked the gardens along the river, some sections of the gardens were originally laid out in the early 1600.  We also road the little train over all the old rice fields levies.  The old rice fields are now control flooded for the benefit of wildlife and there was a lot of wildlife including alligators. 

As we were leaving at the end of the day a lady ask if we enjoyed our visit.  We said we had and would likely be back next year on our way south.  She said our tickets were good for another day in the next 5 days.  It says that on the ticket but we hadn't spotted that.  Perhaps it's an off season thing (??).  She also told us we could bring bikes and ride anywhere on the plantation.  We came back two days later on a weekday with bikes.  The lady taking tickets saw the bikes on the rack and said "I'm not going to punch your ticket in case you want to come another day.  We rode all over the plantation.  Nice riding.  We rode the levies and did a lot of photography of the wildlife and had a great time.  Yes, we came back a third day also and rode the bikes more.  The ticket on the extra days were good on the grounds only...no additional house tour or train ride.

Back
Top Bottom