Check before it's too late

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

postmandug

Just decided to check the lug nuts on our TT we purchased last fall. Got the trusty 4-way lug wrench out of my truck and realized the walls on it are too thick to fit on the nut with enough clearance on the rim. Good thing I checked now instead of after a flat! Added a 3/4 socket and long breaker bar to my tool box I keep in the TT. Go check  yours now to make sure you have the right size lug wrench or socket in your TV or TT.

It's a good thing to check your torque on the lugs if at all possible. Our Jeep Club had a maintenance event and more Jeeps than anyone cared to admit had loose lugs, including all of mine, which had at least 2 lugs loose on each wheel and one wheel had 4 loose lugs.

I got lucky like you, Postman, and discovered I needed the "low profile" lug wrench before the need -and boy did I ever need it!

If you have a spare that is stored on a bumper bracket, check the size of the nuts that hold the spare to the bracket. They may not be the same size as the lug nuts.

Since we're talking lugs and such, be sure you have a jack that can do the job (like a bottle jack), a jack support for stability(a board), and a couple flares, or other warning or device. 

I always carry a 1/2" long handled lug wrench after having a wheel get loose several years ago. Makes it easy to break loose and tighten (and check) lug bolts to change a tire. Wouldn't leave home without it.

After having lost a wheel due to loose lug nuts, checking them is now on our departure checklist. Two minutes with the wrench could have saved us $$$$$$$ in towing and repair costs. Now I check them every time I hitch the trailer up to go somewhere. 

Back
Top Bottom