Check engine light just came on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
92GA said:
1 of those should only be hot when the aux start button is pressed, the other is hot when the key is on.
Then that sounds like it is the problem.
Did they check your old alternator? Was it putting out ac volts instead of dc volts?
Yes, when we took it into the parts store I had them check it and they said it was ok. However the problem usually only exists when the engine is hot and the alternator was cold when it was tested so I replaced it anyway.
Remember, the only imput for the speedo comes from the vss module. When you drove it the last time did you have your generator running?
My generator does not work.
Trying to decipher where this ac voltage is leaking from. Those 2 speed sensor/generators on the trans should be the only thing left to generate ac power, but they can't generate unless the coach is moving.  Time for me to go back to the book, can't remember what all does what, heck it's been a month. Check that ground wire that goes from the left rear head to the frame, take it off and clean both ends real good.
I will clean the ground in a few days. I have company coming and she will be taking up all of my time in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestions.

SeilerBird said:
Then that sounds like it is the problem. Yes, when we took it into the parts store I had them check it and they said it was ok. However the problem usually only exists when the engine is hot and the alternator was cold when it was tested so I replaced it anyway.My generator does not work.I will clean the ground in a few days. I have company coming and she will be taking up all of my time in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestions.

Good luck with that ;D ;D ;D I've time to hit the manual then.

I took the RV out for a spin this morning and I didn't get very far before turning around and going back to my site. Replacing the alternator did not solve the problem. But at least it eliminated one more possible suspect. Two months ago this problem only existed when the engine was hot. Now it happens when the engine is cold or hot. Sure makes it hard to figure out when the symptoms keep on changing. I have a business card from a local mobile RV mechanic. I will give him a call today.

Ok...

Your issue is very likely related to the trans shift solenoids (A & B). Fixing requires dropping trans pan/fluid change as well. While in there turn up the force actuator valve 1/2 turn only.

Do you see any red trans fluid on the wiring harness connector where it connects to the trans? This was a very common issue with 4L80E trans. They would crack internally and leak into the connector harness allowing it to short out. Very small milliamps flow thru it. There should be no fluid in or on the connector. Replacing the harness also requires dropping the pan.

Well that is good it was fixed. For curious minds, what was the problem???

Bill

Back
Top Bottom