Check your tires - or else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will

This just hit /r/roadcam on reddit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5EUKYjVfI

I recently upgraded my rig and was tempted to hit the road on the existing tires before realizing they were 15 years old.  I'm glad I replaced them first.

Scary! Looks like the guy (or gal) driving kept it together just long enough for the oncoming traffic to get past.

Mike

Tinmania said:
Scary! Looks like the guy (or gal) driving kept it together just long enough for the oncoming traffic to get past.

Nothing that skillful... according to details underneath the video, the motorhome was stopped/flipped by a "cable" median barrier that you can't really see.  It stopped the MH from careening into oncoming traffic and causing an even worse crash.

That video shows just how fast things can happen.  From the time the tire(s) blew until the time the MH overturned was about 6.5 seconds.

I read that but comments (locals?) in another place that video was posted seem to indicate that was not the case--and that that old cable would have done nothing to stop that rig. This is evidenced by the fact that right after video ended the RV and toad slid across the oncoming lanes, at a much slower speed. The toad didn't even flip. They ended up clear on the other end of the highway. (There is a pic out there of it.)

That said still others have commented that the RV driver simply overreacted and possibly hit the brakes. The consensus was he didn't need to lose control and flip it.

Either way no one was seriously injured and that is what really matters.

Mike

Ah gotcha, very well could be the case.

Tinmania said:
That said still others have commented that the RV driver simply overreacted and possibly hit the brakes. The consensus was he didn't need to lose control and flip it.

... which is also a good reminder for motorhome owners to anticipate things like this and have some sort of mental response plan.  There's a "dealing with an RV blowout" video out there somewhere, that is professionally produced and I've watched from a link on this forum.  I'll try to find it.  Contrary to popular belief (and your body's reaction), the first thing you should do in the event of a motorhome blowout is quickly press down the accelerator to temporarily ADD power and gain physical control, before then gradually slowing down while exiting the roadway... and ideally staying in control of the rig.

Thanks Stu!  In case that link above is not working for anyone (I could not get the video to appear on that page), here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwOE1yKY5c

Watch closely and just before the MH goes off the road there's a momentary flask of the rear brakes like the driver hit the brakes first instead of hitting the gas.  Just enough to jerk the steering to the right where the tire was blown.

You guys have better eyes than I have. I see a flash on the toad's right tail light that appears to be a reflection, but I never see any brake lights on coach or toad. I'll try again.

You can see it on the coach too, and it is at the exact same moment as the toad's. I mentioned the toad as it is easier to see it. But at that exact same moment the coach's brake light illuminates as well. It's not easy to see without taking it frame-by-frame. I can't imagine it is a reflection since there are no shadows, the sky appears to be overcast, and the coach's lights are fully in the rear of the coach and not on the corner like the toad's.

You can see it in the two attached pics. The first one shows both brake lights on, and the other, off. Both are taken at the 11 second mark in the video, so it is very brief.

Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.33.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.33.35 AM.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.33.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.33.56 AM.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom