Checkin' in before lowering my tire air pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Article today commented on the percenteage of cars running on "Soft" (underinflated) tires.

And it's effect on both fuel economy and safety (Not good I might add)

Do inflate to the proper pressure per the weight on the wheel and the company chart. PLEASE.

Found this chart that was provided on another forum. I don't know how accurate it is so please don't shoot the messanger.

I saw that also Dar, but my size isn't listed......We would never shoot you. ;).  I appreciate the suggestions.

This thread prompted me to read the RV tire recommendations from Goodyear.  I never noticed before but they recommend raising the tire pressure 20 psi over the max load pressure if the RV is parked for sustained periods.  That would be 130 psi for XRVs.  I've never messed with this, thinking that the jacks would take much of the load off the tires.  Not even sure I have a compressor that would produce 130 psi...  :-\

130psi may also exceed the allowable pressure for the wheels as well.  I believe ours are rated at 125psi maximum tire pressure.

Ned said:
130psi may also exceed the allowable pressure for the wheels as well.  I believe ours are rated at 125psi maximum tire pressure.

How, pray tell, does one determine the max wheel pressure?  Are "plain ole steel wheels" also limited to 125, usually?

The maximum pressure is stamped into the wheel.

Ned said:
The maximum pressure is stamped into the wheel.

I know so little about this... it's entirely logical that there is a pressure limit on the wheel but I have always thought that the tire would blow before the wheel... no matter what.  I'm guessing of course but I bet that I have to remove the tire to see the wheel pressure limit...LOL.

[quote author=taoshum]I'm guessing of course but I bet that I have to remove the tire to see the wheel pressure limit[/quote]

Not on ours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom