checking the air in the tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltalsa

We've got a 2010 Class C Winnebago Access, and my husband read somewhere that we need to check the air in the tires before every trip.

We have trouble getting to the stems to check, and when we did determine we had 65 pounds of pressure, we had trouble getting air to the tires.  (sliced a finger on something or other sharp, dropped the little stem cover several times into the wheel well...generally spent an hour cussing at stuff.)

We can actually see two stems in the double tires in the back, but can only get to one of them--the inside??

Is there an easier way?

Help!!

It shouldn't cost much to have a tire place install proper extensions so you can easily check pressures and add air as needed ...metal extensions would be the most reliable. A more expensive option would be a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), but you still need to be able to add air when needed.

Welcome to the fun world of dually tires  ::)

What we finally did when we put new tires on last fall was to have the outside tire valve stems unscrewed and reoriented to where they can easily be reached.  They do not point inward, they point along the wheel (if that makes sense.)  Wanted to do that a couple of years sooner, but never did get 'er done.

I highly recommend you take the RV to a truck tire shop (or maybe an auto tire shop) and have them unmount the tire and reorient the valve stem. You will spend a few bucks and a little time, but you will save yourself considerable grief over the lifespan of your ownership.

John Canfield said:
Welcome to the fun world of dually tires  ::)

What we finally did when we put new tires on last fall was to have the outside tire valve stems unscrewed and reoriented to where they can easily be reached.  They do not point inward, they point along the wheel (if that makes sense.)  Wanted to do that a couple of years sooner, but never did get 'er done.

I highly recommend you take the RV to a truck tire shop (or maybe an auto tire shop) and have them unmount the tire and reorient the valve stem. You will spend a few bucks and a little time, but you will save yourself considerable grief over the lifespan of your ownership.

Hi John,  I'm a little confused.  Are you saying that the outside duals have to be unmounted for the valve stems to be re-oriented for easier access?  I didn't find that to be the case.

Thanks,

Rick

Some, like ours, are just a bit too long to rotate through the hole, so the tire must be dismounted, the stem removed and replaced.  Since that's a major project, I added 180? extenders to the outer stems instead.

I have 19 1/2 inch rims on my Winnie. The wheels had the extenders on them when I bought it. I always check the pressure on all the tires prior to any trip. I recently discovered that an inside dual had 0 pressure prior to leaving on a trip. The problem was found to be a valve extender had come loose of the stainless steel hub. The pop rivet that had held the extender in place had come off. I had a truck tire place take the wheels off and check the inside tire. The tire  turned out to be OK and it was inflated and reinstalled. The problem was, was that the truck tire place did not have valve extenders for the 19 1/2 inch wheels. I went to some truck stops and they also did not carry the extenders for the 19 1/2 inch wheels.  It seems that the 19 1/2 inch dual wheels are not something one sees on trucks. Campers world had the correct size and I suspect that most RV places will carry the sizes you need for the duals on most any motor home. I took the new extender back to the truck tire place and watched as the mechanic installed the extender. he did not have to dismount the wheels in order to install the new extender, but I am not sure that would be the case for other duals.

I guess I'm a little surprized that Winnebago or the dealer didn't put extenders on.  It is something nearly all RVs need and really not just a convenience.

Hi,
My first experience with extenders was when one came unanchored and pulled the valve stem out (16" tire) of the inside dual. Not a lot of fun! Next, I had a flat on an inside dual from one (19.5" tire w/steel stems and extenders). I finally conceded that extenders are not a great idea; found a gauge (and an inflater) with the double head (push on or pull out to measure or fill) often seen on commercial air compressors. These will reach the inside stem easily (you may have to remove the hub cap) and permit checking and inflating without a problem. Most parts stores and warehouse hardware stores carry them.
Problem solved; until I installed a TPMS!
Ernie

I have 19 1/2 inch rims and have the braided wire covered flexible extensions on the inside rear duals. They were on the coach when I bought it new from the dealer. They worked okay for 6 years but I have always been uncomfortable with them because of one on my last coach that leaked and caused a flat. I ran on it for part of a day and the tire got hot and blew out. I do have a PressurePro monitoring system now but am still uncomfortable with the extenders.

I have bought a set of Dually Valves solid extenders from Borg Tire Supply.They have to be mounted with the tire off the rim and I will have them  installed next week when I have new tires installed.
You can see them here: http://www.borgtiresupply.com/index-dv.htm.

There is one for the inside dual and one for the outside dual. There are rubber stabilizer grommets for the  rear inside extenders that fit in the handholds.
It has been difficult/tiring  to hold the extender with one hand and add the air with the other. I believe this will make adding air a lot easier.

As several posts indicate, when using valve stem extensions, use SOLID METAL extensions rather than the flexible ones, and use metal valve stems with them. I also use a rubber stabilizer that fits in the hole of the outer wheel to stabilize the long inner extension. Both Alcoa and Accuride make them for their wheels ...not sure if there is something similar for smaller and/or steel wheels.

Clay, thanks for your post.  I'm also getting new tires installed next week & I've been trying to decide whether to replace the braided extensions on the rear duallys with new braided ones or to try the Dually Valves that I've seen advertised in Motor Home Magazine.  I just ordered a set of Dually Valves.  I ordered them over the phone instead of the Internet & I'm glad I did because Bill at Borg Tire Supply asked me how I was going to balance my tires.  When I said I was going to use the Equal powder he said he would send a set of stems that can accommodate the filtered valve cores.  I also told him I use a Pressure Pro TPMS & he said the Dually Valves work well with the Pressure Pro sensors.

Mike

Your RV is like mine. I used 6 inch braided hose for inside dually and a wire clip to keep it centered in the hole and used 135 degree tire valve for outside dually, no more cut fingers and easy to check and add air pressure now, also no more air leaks too, camping world will have the stuff.

Attachments

• wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 44
I looked at those braided steel extenders for a few years but never felt comfortable enough to buy and install them.  Another connection is another point of failure.  The fool-proof solution for me was to have the stem position re-oriented.

Napa Auto Parts has some really nice tire inflaters with the built in gauges and they come with long stems with either straight on and angled back, or angled both direction ends on them. I went to the straight one on the end and angled back for mine. They work great and you can monitor the air pressure as you fill your tire. You will pay a little more than a Kragen cheapy, but then these are industrial and should last for years. Probably still cheaper than having new stems put in all your tires. I think around $30-$40.

Try a Google search on steel valve extenders and you'll find dozens of sources for steel valve extenders.

We had the extenders and the steel ones put on.  The outside tires where there is more of a bend in the extension is leaking some air, the extension that is.  Tom said they didn't take the tire off and tighten it with a wrench, it is frustrating to pay for things to be done, then he has to come home and redo them.

Attachments

• Back wheel1.JPG
    Back wheel1.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjay15
Back