Cheddar Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I butter the outside and, when the sandwich is done cooking, open it (while cheese is soft, of course) and spread mayo (or Miracle Whip) over the cheese on the inside, then close it up. Yummm...

My grilled cheese trick is to butter frozen bread for a nice uniform and tasty brown.
I like a little grilled cheese with my mayo.... and I've got the stomach to prove it!

I think I'm going to have to break down and try it with mayo someday. I do think I will try 4muddypaws method 1st as I enjoy the crunch.

Ron, you brought back some happy memories for me that I had forgotten.  My Daddy used to love either jelly or homemade fig preserves with his grilled cheese sammies.  Sadly, I lost my Daddy in 1968 to a heart attack.  I still think of him often.  We were raised Catholic so on Friday lunch we usually had grilled cheese sandwiches, but Daddy was the only jelly/preserve eater on his.  Thanks for the memories. 

Yes, grilled cheese brings back memories for me too.  (I was also raised Catholic.) The last meal I shared with my Mom before she passed was grilled cheese and tomato soup.  She told me "that hit the spot" which was one of my Dad's favorite sayings.  So grilled cheese and tomato soup are a comfort meal for me.  Fond memories. 

Thumbs up for 8Muddypa' version of grilled cheese.

I almost made grilled cheese for lunch today.  Made a cheeseburger instead.  I've been known to make them for breakfast.  Definately one of my comfort foods.  I think I know what's for breakfast tomorrow.

Once in a while I stuff one with sliced fresh jalape?os.

I do mine a bit more elaborately.
1 st slice of bread is spread with Dijon mustard, then a slice of canned ham.  Top that with sliced cheddar and then sliced tomato.  Salt and pepper the tomato layer to taste.  2nd slice of bread spread with mayo and placed on top.  Now butter both exterior sides of the sandwich and grill.  Served with ham and pea soup, there is no better comfort food. 

Spent a few days recently camping with friends in Smokey Mountain NP and for dinner one night my friends provided a special toasted cheese sandwich and tomato soup.

The toasted cheese was a 5 cheese sandwich - cheddar, provolone, swiss and Gouda on the inside - then buttered outside and sprinkled with Parmesan which made a real nice crispy outside...it was fantastic and the tomato soup was homemade and delicious as well...

Made in a cast iron skillet over the fire I might add...

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim,
That really sounds delicious!
I would love a thick 5 cheese sandwich like that, but how do you prevent a glarpy cheese mess? Doesn't the melted cheese just run all over outside the bread?
Other than maybe a pie iron over an open flame, how do make 'em thick like that and contain the melted cheese?

When not camping or making my own, I like to go to Tom+Che. It's a chain restaurant that serves tomato soup and cheese sandwiches. Many verities of each.

That restaurant sounds like a place I'd love to lucnh

I slice some cheese off the old block, slap a couple slices home made bread down,, butter one side of each

Lay 'em on the Sunbeam George Foreman knock off which has been pre-heating while I slice and butter

YUM

I still love Grilled Cheese.

Went to a restaurant in a small town in Arkansas.  They had a double bacon cheeseburger on the menu made with 2 grilled cheese sandwiches in place of the bun.  :eek:

MMMMmmm. Grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of home made tomato soup was a lunch staple when I was growing up. Even I could make it. :eek:

I just butter a couple slices of bread. Slice a thick slice of Extra Sharp Chedder and fire up the Geo-Foreman knockoff grill.. And yes. I still love Grilled Cheese Sandwhiches. True American Comfort Food!!!

Tomatoes go great on grilled cheese sandwiches. I also like tomato and mayo sandwiches. I'll have to add the mayo next time I do grilled cheese.

By the way, they have Tomato soup flavored crackers at Trader Joes. Ive had them and the first handful is good. After that they kind of lose their tomatoey flavor or something. I like them with cheese slices.

Oh, and chiming in 12 years later.... Tillamook cheese is the best cheese. And their ice cream is the best ice cream too :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom