Chevy 5.7L V8 engine driving in the west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhounds

I am buying a Class C, Coachman Freedom, 258db that has a 5.7L engine. What problems if any will I have driving through the mountains of Utah, Colorado, Arizona etc....western states?  I have test driven the RV, smooth ride, strong, quiet with new Blistien shocks all around and new Michelin tires.  All the services records are there, both owners have serviced the engine and RV on all the schedule dates. I am curious how the V8 5.7L engine will perform out west.

Thanks for any information.

I have a MH with Triton V10.  I tow a small car.  I've climbed some pretty high mountains in Colorado and Utah.  No problem.  Just keep in mind you won't go as fast as some, but who's in a hurry anyway, and you will eventually get there.

What year is the 5.7?....The later Vortec engines are much more powerfull and get better mileage than the early carborated and TBI ones

It is a 2004 but someone told me today they thought that model of RV had the 6.0 engine. I'll search google for the specs of that motorhome.

Chassis manufacturers generally do a pretty good job matching the engine and drivetrain to the expected loads.  Either the 5.7 or 6.0 liter engine is more than sufficient to drive a 27 ft. motorhome through any terrain you can imagine.

Asking that same engine to power a larger and heavier motorhome is another question.  But for something the size and weight of the Coachmen, there's no reason to go larger.  You may go a few MPH slower going up a steep grade, but you'll more than make up for it with better MPG the rest of the time.  Big block engines like the 454 and 460 (7.5l V-8s) are notorious for passing everything except a gas station, which is one reason they've been phased out in recent years.

Don't know if Dean has been on to see this or not but forum members Dean and Dianne Kliensmith tried a Four Winds with the 5.7 this spring. They are now driving a V10 Ford.

Bhounds, check the 8th digit of your VIN number. If it is a "U" then it is a 6 liter gas engine. If it's a "G" then it is an 8.1 liter gas engine. I have the "U" engine in my Four Winds class C and they are fantastic powerplants.

As a GM tech I would suggest that if 8th digit is an R it is a 5.7 and as stated previously a U means 6.0 . The biggest weakness in the 5.7 is the intake manifold gaskets , which are plastic . If they have not been replaced, replace them ASAP along with the thermostat. If you have a 6.0 inspect the water pump for leaks , If no leaks you should be OK. The 5.7 was replaced with the 6.0 after the 2003 model year.

Hello Fredv, I am a GM tech as well! have been for 20 years and am actually World Class Certified. Good to see there are a few of us here. I saw the RV Bhounds was looking at was a 2004 so that's why I told him either U or G. The 5.7 as you know was not an option for 04.

Not forgetting, of course, that the chassis of any motor home is often 1 or 2 years behind the actual motorhomes advertised year. Checking the VIN of the chassis is the only way to know!!!

According to my local GM mechanic, he said the chassis was a 2002 based on the 8th digit from the right in the VIN. Title shows 2003 and based on what fuelhog2000 & fredv recommended the 8th digit is an R therefor I have a 2003 model with the 5.7L engine. The RTV ad and seller said it was a 2004 model with a 6.0L engine.

Thanks for all the information.

Back
Top Bottom