Choices, choices, choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wesheets

Howdy all.
I realize making a choice for an RV can be like committing to fall in love with a house you've not lived in, but nonetheless we'd like to make mistakes anyway. Even still, deciding on WHICH RV to purchase is so daunting. I've read that some brands/levels have crappy exteriors or paint, seals that are synonymous with cracking, terrible electrical issues (including how many and what kind of appliances can run at the same time), water tank concerns, and so on.

So, for those who can, please provide YOUR opinion of some of the following, and add in your own tips, ideas, thoughts if it's not listed. I hereby promise not to make your opinion MY gospel. As they say "Wisdom is in the counsel of many" and though everyone needs to make a living, the salesperson is not my choice for wisdom :).

General stats: Family of 6 (not including 3 adult children). Of those with us, we have a teen, two kids, and a tot. Thing is, they are all from the land of giants. Think girls: 5'9"+ as adults, and guys: 6'3" or more as adults. (This is not a generality; one son is 6'4" and 25 so...). Also, a yappy dog of -15 lbs.

Type: While I'd prefer a Class A DP, I realize that will have to come later when we are less encumbered by children. Having said that, some Class C's do come as diesel options so that's worth consideration. I mean, really, which Class A's are under $100K and can house at least 5 people? Class C is probably going to suit, but if there are suggestions for Class A's please speak up! [Can't do a 5W, TT]. Also, what are the gas costs in comparison?

Towing: I'm assuming I'll need to tow a vehicle. Will need to consider that later. Neither car we currently own would work most likely. We have a Jeep (won't fit more than 4, comfortably) and a Suburban (too heavy for gas,etc). I am guessing some midsize SUV later. Cost can be low, doesn't need bells and whistles :).

Accessories: So, this is definitely the most green area for us. I "think" we'd like standards like awning, but would love to be able to have an outdoor entertaining area. However, do we NEED to have a tv on the outside of the rig? Thoughts? Also, what are other accessories that are "like to haves" and which ones are not often standards but are "need to haves"??

Size: Okay, here's the thing. I've heard/read that the longer they are, the most interesting the turning and parking becomes. Please enlighten me: which ones have enough pull outs for sleeping needs while still being economical in size so that we can afford more and be able to stay in more places? The longer they are, the less room in some RV parks, no?

Hopes/dreams: Ha ha!! We would rather have an RV that can fit us for sleeping, manage our toileting, too, without being so large we end up with low quality materials on the interior. In other words, which manufacturers really try to put effort into quality materials? We really have no clue AT ALL. Reputations being what they can be, and the Internet what it is, there are opinions about everything. Further, more complainers than happy satisfied customers respond so that makes it a challenge, too. However, we also would like to include a data capability (we work from home) to include Internet and satellite access.

So: sleeps 6 and not cheap materials are the key points here :).

Clearly I've left out some items because I've not done this before. Toured tons of RV's, seen some at shows, etc. The salesmen pitch, the items are gleaming and sparkly, the lighting accentuates the positives. Those are all great things, but what is road damage, longevity? How do I know rig A is better for X reasons than rig B?

I hope some will respond so I can begin to have some further input. You wise(guys/gals) can be in my bevy of counselors!
Thanks!!

For a toad, take a look at a Ford Explorer. We have a 2015 with a normally aspirated V6. Towable 4 down, seats 7 with the third row seat, and can get 30mpg on the interstate.

In the past, some readers have recommended a 5th wheel toy hauler for big families.  Not to haul toys, but because some of the back "toy" space can be converted into a bedroom in some units with drop down bunks or couches that turn into large beds.  Just a thought.

Senaca toy hauler, or similar - used at your budget. Convert the garage to to a bunkhouse. Meets nearly all of your needs except price.

As for Class C's, very few, if any, have the load capacity you need, let alone the room. Don't let the "sleeps ##" be taken too literally. They are short on storage, tank size, and bed size.

JM 2C

Ernie

Welcome to the forum.
Wow! ?
Your parameters make it very difficult to put together a viable option. One very important thing you left out is how you're planning on using the RV. Bringing up the issue on working from home makes it appear that you might be planning on full timing. If that's the case then all I can visualize is trying to fit a sturgeon in a sardine can. If it's for short camping trips it might be doable but long term and 5 days of rain and you might go bonkers.
Bob

If you listen to all the terrible tales on the internet you would never buy any RV.  I'm not saying the tales are false, but the problems are rarely as awful as they may seem. However, problems are not limited to one brand or model either. Inconsistent quality (manufacturing defects) are all too common in the RV industry and they affect all the makes & models. Buying used is one way around that, since typically the mistakes have been found and fixed by the end of the 2nd year.

Just about every question you raised is easily the subject of a lengthy discussion and probably still no definitive answers.

It's not length that causes maneuvering problems, it's the amount of rear wheel overhang. Front engine (usually gas) motorhomes mostly have a long overhand behind the rear axle and that swings out as the coach turns. Far more than a car or SUV, so new owners may get a surprise.

Do you need an outdoor tv?  How can somebody else answer that?  If tv is important to your lifestyle and you want to watch tv instead of other activities, maybe you do. I don't, but that means nothing about your wants & needs.  I will say, though, that watching any tv outdoors can be problematic in bright sun.

Electrical "issues" are mostly just dealing with differences from home life. Some RVs have only one 30A power supply, which is paltry compared to the 200A or more you probably have at home. Larger RVs have 100A (actually 2x 50A supplies) and are much less limited. Water problems are much the same. Unless the RV is parked at a campsite with water & sewer hook-ups, the family is suddenly faced with limits on something they have always considered limitless. It can be a rude awakening to the facts of life.

The coaches made with better materials, stronger chassis, more storage, etc. are the higher priced ones. You don't need the most expensive, but at least a mid-price model.

Class C's are often good for sleeping accommodations but are otherwise short on most everything: storage, interior room, weight carrying capacity, refrigerator size, toilet/shower facilities, etc.  A 30-32 ft Class C maxxes out the van chassis and still doesn't have a lot of room for a family. You lose a fair amount of interior to the cab, which is of limited use when parked.  Perhaps one of the Super-C models would come closest to your needs, e.g. a Jayco Seneca. Larger than van-based C's and much more capable.

You have a large family of large people that you want to sandwich into a mobile house that is maybe 400 sq ft tops.  Your master bedroom at home is probably that big or larger. Think shoehorn or sardine can.

One of my favorite lines is that "you can have anything you want in an RV, but you can't have everything". There simply isn't space or weight capacity for everything. You will need to decide what is important to you.

The "work from home" thing may be problematic. You will need to use a cell phone and data in most cases and it could be costly. Park WiFi in most cases is terribly unreliable and cannot be counted on as a cheap option, especially for work.

Many Class A machines are intended for two persons only, of course there are others than can handle more, but it will take some research.

Floor plans of many RV's can be found on www.pplmotorhomes.com/ and https://www.rvtrader.com/

Also, what are the gas costs in comparison?

On the typical gasoline powered coach you'll likely get 6.5 to 8.5 mpg, give or take, depending on wind, loading and roads/hills, plus your speed and heavy (or not) foot.

Size: Okay, here's the thing. I've heard/read that the longer they are, the most interesting the turning and parking becomes. Please enlighten me: which ones have enough pull outs for sleeping needs while still being economical in size so that we can afford more and be able to stay in more places? The longer they are, the less room in some RV parks, no?

Gary says, "It's not length that causes maneuvering problems, it's the amount of rear wheel overhang." That's mostly true, but length does have its effects. A 45 footer isn't going to turn as short as a 38 footer, though it can fit into places that would surprise most people, and you do have to be aware in all these rigs of the extra length, height and width, being aware of obstructions that wouldn't trouble a car or pickup. But with experience and careful attention, few rigs are a real problem in most places -- you just have to be aware of the quirks for your particular rig.

Accessories: So, this is definitely the most green area for us. I "think" we'd like standards like awning, but would love to be able to have an outdoor entertaining area. However, do we NEED to have a tv on the outside of the rig? Thoughts? Also, what are other accessories that are "like to haves" and which ones are not often standards but are "need to haves"??

Gary's comments about your needs vs. someone else's are right on the spot. For awnings, it'll depend on where you are, how much wind, which type of rig/awning combination you have (some are worse with wind, some don't provide much shade, etc.) and your own preferences. We rarely use our awning because winds are often a problem, the shade it casts is often not where we need it, depending on how we're parked (usually little choice), and we don't dare leave it extended if we're not there every second (I've seen wind destroy awnings in seconds).

For external TV? In the last 7 years with an external TV (came with the rigs), I've used it once -- to show a video to a large group. Note that use of an external TV can be a problem for your neighbors (in the instance above our nearest neighbors were 1/4 mile+ away), just like external speakers blaring music and such.

We would rather have an RV that can fit us for sleeping, manage our toileting, too, without being so large we end up with low quality materials on the interior.

As others have said above, your combination of requirements are difficult to find -- you'll likely have to compromise on several of these.

May I suggest that you try renting an RV for a weekend, or so, to get at least a little taste of what it's like. Perhaps you'd need a sitter for some kids (or not??) for that weekend.

Good luck.

Another issue is cargo carrying capacity.  There will be a sticker somewhere on every motorhome or trailer listing this.  It is the amount of weight your unit can safely carry.  For my 32' Class C, it is 1,300 pounds, which is not much, but I travel alone.  If you pack an RV with too much weight, you can cause tire blowouts and handling problems that can result in a severe accident. 

Included in that number is the weight of water and wastewater stored in your tanks, the weight of people you carry, all of your belongings and added furniture, stuff like recreational equipment you strap on or put inside, etc.  With 6 people, even if one is a "tot" you are probably already up to 800+ pounds.  And water is very heavy, so add that. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon, so if you carry 20 gallons of water, that is 160 pounds.  If you tie bikes or kayaks onto the rear, that adds to the CCC as well.

Finally, very few RVs have enough seat belts for six people. You should NEVER allow a passenger to ride without a seat belt!!!!!!!  Nor, should you allow anyone to ride napping in a bed or walking around inside.  So make sure what you are looking at has enough seat belts for everyone.

The point is that you do not want to turn a fun trip into a disaster.

Actually, my suggestion if you rent for a weekend or week is to take along everyone you plan to travel with so you can see what living in a tiny space with all those people will be like. 

In reality, many people with big families take along a tent for some of the kids and even drive a separate vehicle for the extra people.  You will also need a cooler because RV refrigerators are small and cannot handle a lot of food.

Already these are amazing responses! I hadn't even thought about some of them. So, thank you!

In terms of working from home:It really isn't pertinent to our travel other than we have the luxury of leaving a bit earlier on a weekend trip away :). We also have unlimited wifi/data so that's not an issue in either case.

Travel: we want to use it to travel typical family vacation times when we can, say a week here and there in the summer or spring, and then weekends throughout the year. I'm guessing under 50 days a year, but possibly more. While we are on the dusty trail toward retirement, we still have time to make decisions. We also have enough time to purchase, put time into a rig, and then decide to buy up as many people do....right along the time we may have fewer people to take along :). At some point it won't be feasible to take many. And, make no mistake, though we have adult children, they are not invited unless they drive a car of their own :).

*We wouldn't have ANYONE nap on a bed while we are driving. Safety conscious for sure. Thank for the warning :).

And, our tot is already 3 1/2 and 4' tall, 42 lbs. He's a biggun.

I was thinking that a C would be the right direction for this season, and it sounds like I need to look into a C+ further.

Again, these are all great, and things we'd not taken consideration for. We have looked at the library above, but needed more input. If anyone else has thoughts/ideas please don't hesitate!

I am curious how much weight goes into general supplies: from food to towels,etc. I feel I'd become obsessed with weighing everything.

Have you thought of using your 'Burb as a tow vehicle and purchasing a hybrid type travel trailer, such as a Rockwood Roo, which has models with 3 queen sized beds?

This one sounds interesting! It has some bunks, pull out beds, and two bathrooms.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Bill-Plemmons-RV-World-Raleigh-2973332/listing/2017-Jayco-Precept-36T-121346992

wesheets said:
This one sounds interesting! It has some bunks, pull out beds, and two bathrooms.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Bill-Plemmons-RV-World-Raleigh-2973332/listing/2017-Jayco-Precept-36T-121346992
I'd say it's a bit more realistic any, considering how you wish to use it, it might work for you. It would still be wise to rent something similar the first time, as another poster said, to see how doable it is for you, before spending a bucket of money ?with a hole in the bottom of it (especially if buying new).
Bob

I hope you are able to make an informed decision about your purchase.  However, each of us has our own preferences.  My husband and I started with a 32' travel trailer, then moved to a 28' fifth wheel.  Our next purchase was a 32' motor home which we gave to our son and his wife who lived in it for many years, with our grandson who is autistic.  Our next purchase was a 35' fifth wheel which we lived in for several years and parked it on our property.  My husband was diagnosed with cancer and subsequently is now in remission but our tow vehicle was too long in the tooth and needed to be replaced.  So we purchased a 35' motor home and traveled extensively in it.  It became a bit too long in the tooth for us to feel comfortable traveling all over the place, and we traded it in and bought a 40' DP with 3 slides. 

What I am trying to say is that one man's treasure is another man's trash.  We have tried, everything except a class C.  We had a 20' one for several years which was great for weekends but not prolonged trips.  After many years and giving each RV what we considered a fair trial, we keep returning to the Class A DP with slides.  Two of our grandsons-in-law are over 6' tall and can stand upright in this latest coach comfortably, but not able to do jumping jacks.  The larger coaches are designed for prolonged travel and use and have more storage. 

I would suggest you go to an RV dealer and look at all there is out there.  When you walk in, open everything, and picture all you would want to store for your family.  Obviously, you will have to pare down a bit, for weight purposes, but with good planning, it's not a problem.  When we go looking for a new unit, we always ask the sales person to remain outside while we go through the unit so we can talk openly and not have them sell us on that unit without our having the time to determine if it will suit our needs. 

The only other thing I would strongly suggest if you are planning on living in your new unit with your children it can be difficult to find if you are not staying in a park that has laundry facilities available. 

Enjoy whatever you finally decide is best for you, but do not let others tell you what to purchase.  We all have our own preferences and they are all correct for us.  You need to find what works for you.  Enjoy your travels with your children, there is so much to see and enjoy.

Circe: so true! Thank you for your perspective.

My goal in asking wasn't to be persuaded, per se, just to garner the sort of info that you, and others, have provided. Sometimes people try one rig type and for X reason it simply wasn't a good fit. I was looking for the X. In the anecdotal evidence there is some truth that can be applicable across many experiences.

I also note that if one rig company was "that bad" they would most likely go out of business. Shoddy materials or craftsmanship can only carry a company so far.

Since most rigs are costly-even the TT's and 5th wheels, they are an investment and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Eventually I will most likely need to up my income to accommodate every aspect because it's not just the insurance or just the rig payment or just the gas for the weekend-it's all of it. It's the new tires, it's all the unknown expenses and repairs....I think we want to go in eyes wide open. While we say we want this, we don't want to be ignorant about it either.....but, I believe that because we like to travel, and want to do it our way, we need to choose well. Traveling by air is fun and all (even taking up an entire row of seats) but honestly, it is more expensive in some respects than an RV. Hotels, rental cars (and now they are the most expensive with so many), the gas, the food, the plane tickets. WOW....so much. Being able to determine our schedule and have more overall control is a big draw. I love the concept of "comforts of home" in a manner of speaking, without worrying if the cleaning lady really did clean the commode or if the pilot will be able to fly well :) LOL.....finally, I would like to stay near my mother without having to stay WITH her, because we are many :). But all of it sounds great. I love, adore even, national parks. I like to criss cross the country and see different burgs and towns.

Anyway.....getting feedback helps to narrow down somewhat which was really what I was hoping to do.

;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom