"Christmas" Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FenderP

As long as I've been camping, multicolored lights (sometimes just plain white -but where's the fun in that?) in the camp sites have been an interesting part of the experience.  I've often wondered how it got started, maybe to help folks find their site after a 2 a.m. call of nature -it would be trouble to unzip the wrong tent, or just a way of personal expression, something else, all the above.  Anybody know?

I have always loved this part of the camping experience -string 'em up all over your tent, around your RV, in the trees of your camp site, wherever.  Take a walk after dark and check out other folks lights in the campground, what type they have, what they've done with them.  We always had red, white, and blue rope lights around the belly of our Casita when we had it.  I spelled my initials out with multicolored lights in a shrub in our camp site once.  I've seen other people do some creative things as well, but mostly a path around the camp site, around the shelter over the picnic table, etc.  To me, it is still a cool thing to do.  Is it a tradition?  Maybe.  I don't know.

Sadly, I have noticed recently there seems to be fewer people doing it for one reason or another.  I know there are parks that have "dark sky" certification and that is to be considered I guess, but it seems like there is more to it than that as only a few parks we've been to are dark sky parks.

Hopefully the tradition, if that is what it is, isn't dying.  I'm sure we will keep it up because we like it and we hope others do too because we like seeing other people's lights as well.

To light or not to light?  What do y'all do?  Have you noticed less people doing this?  Does anyone know how the practice got started?  It would be cool to hear some other theories on it and how some of you feel about it.

I'm with the "less is more" crowd. We've always used the absolute minimum in outdoor lighting. Can't see the sky or really enjoy the campfire with bright lights shining.

I don't understand the recent trend of putting high intensity LED lights on the outside of campers. Especially the flashing multicolored nonsense.

I just bought a nice set of lights for outdoor use. that's in addition to my "Cat" lights.. But I've not even taken the box out of the bag.. I will use them IF I find a place.. or a camping partner.. But then I'm not putting the awning out any more either since I don't sit out under it.

HappyWanderer said:
I'm with the "less is more" crowd. We've always used the absolute minimum in outdoor lighting. Can't see the sky or really enjoy the campfire with bright lights shining.

I don't understand the recent trend of putting high intensity LED lights on the outside of campers. Especially the flashing multicolored nonsense.

Right with you on the sky viewing the bright lights. I?m talking about ?gentle? lighting, not like a ball park or something. I even asked a guy in an Airstream to turn out his porch light that seemed to be about 50 million lumens or something and was flooding our camp site. He was very nice about it and said he just forgot it was on. Dude had good taste in scotch, too!

Perhaps it's a regional thing?  We're in the "less glitz is more" camp.  Many places in the West frown on excessive lights.  Spoils the view of the stars for one thing. 

John From Detroit said:
I just bought a nice set of lights for outdoor use. that's in addition to my "Cat" lights.. But I've not even taken the box out of the bag.. I will use them IF I find a place.. or a camping partner.. But then I'm not putting the awning out any more either since I don't sit out under it.

Yeah, we rarely use the awning. Haven?t seen rain in a couple years. :-(

Tom and Margi said:
Perhaps it's a regional thing?  We're in the "less glitz is more" camp.  Many places in the West frown on excessive lights.  Spoils the view of the stars for one thing.

And I agree. I should have made it clear. Just talking a few colored lights and not very bright at all.

Personally I don't care for those lights.  I much prefer the "dark sky" policy.  We've always lived in urban areas and seldom get to see the stars.  I love going to a remote area and looking out at the stars when it gets dark.  When was the last time you saw the Milky Way?  Probably not recently - unless you were out camping!

Like everything else in life, we all need to be considerate of our neighbors.  It's fine to have a porch or other "beacon" light on so you can find your rig when you're out at night, but there's nothing worse than trying to sleep and having a lot of bright lights shining into your bedroom.  For those who do have such lights, I suggest it would be good to have a "turn off the lights" time similar to quiet hours.  And, if you're in a particularly good star-gazing area, perhaps earlier turn off is desirable.

Ardra

Absolutely, Ardra. Common sense and courtesy should always apply.

What is just a few tasteful lights around his campsite would be a downer to me, especially if they were on after 10:00 pm or so. I live going out on nights without a moon, just looking at the stars. Even dim LED lights ruin my night vision. If someone needs to find their way in the dark, I suggest a headlamp. I like the PP?s idea of a ?dark time? for lights equivalent to quiet time for noise. Now if I am in a commercial campground with streetlights all over, do what you want, but please turn off lights in a dark space.

These are very good thoughts and exactly what I hoped for. It gives me insight and food for thought. It seems best to look around and see what most people are doing and if the consensus is to keep it dark then keep it dark. Kind of a ?when in Rome? type deal.  Maybe dark is the (near) future.

We use them often on longer camping trips, especially when we open up our additional square gazebo that we use over a picnic table, if available. We enjoy the ambiance in the evenings, especially when we are out cooking over the fire pit with s?mores or sitting around the picnic table having a snack. We do turn them off when we hunker down for the night inside the camper. Hubby likes all outdoor lights off so he can see better if he needs to look outside from the camper.

We have two older girls and an outdoor mini fridge, so when zipping from the outdoor tables having the additional lighting is nice for us. When we do short camping trips, we are also minimal and keep the extra items like this packed away.

BF&HJ -What y?all do is pretty much what we do and what I?m talking about. I will most def pay more attention to what folks around me are doing and try not to ruin anyone?s ?night? experience.

We bought a string of coloured lights but have not used them yet.  They will only be out when it is not windy, we are parked for several days, and the stars are not out yet!  We love looking at the stars but like the nice lights also.

We were at a site in Gros Ventre at the Tetons and someone had coloured strip LEDs all around their RV shining like a beacon when we were out trying to look at the stars, man it was annoying, but they were too far away for us to ask them to switch them off. 

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geJaTdHh9b4AUA0wHBGOd_;_ylc=X1MDMjE0NTg1MTU4NQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC1ocnRhYi1zBGdwcmlkA2xJOXJpQUF1UXJ1VFpXa3UyRFouZUEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzAEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDNDYEcXVlcnkDcGhvdG8lMjBvZiUyMGNhbXBlciUyMGxpdCUyMHVwJTIwd2l0aCUyMGxpZ2h0cwR0X3N0bXADMTUyODc2NjIwNA--?p=photo+of+camper+lit+up+with+lights&fr2=sb-top-&fr=yfp-hrtab-s&fp=1

Too much?

Oldgator73 said:
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geJaTdHh9b4AUA0wHBGOd_;_ylc=X1MDMjE0NTg1MTU4NQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC1ocnRhYi1zBGdwcmlkA2xJOXJpQUF1UXJ1VFpXa3UyRFouZUEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzAEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDNDYEcXVlcnkDcGhvdG8lMjBvZiUyMGNhbXBlciUyMGxpdCUyMHVwJTIwd2l0aCUyMGxpZ2h0cwR0X3N0bXADMTUyODc2NjIwNA--?p=photo+of+camper+lit+up+with+lights&fr2=sb-top-&fr=yfp-hrtab-s&fp=1

Too much?
Link don't work.

I must admit I'm in the less is better camp.
Frankly, I don't understand the LED rope lights randomly scattered on the ground, around the perimeter of an RV.
It looks disheveled and messy. As with Jackiemac's experience, it can be annoying.

Hello Everyone,

Speaking as an astronomer who has a great deal of understanding on the subject of lighting, having enough lighting to see at night is essential but is often overdone. I get the reason why some people want the pretty lights but too much as people here have mentioned can interfer with others enjoyment of the campfire and night time sky. It takes a lot less light to see at night than most people think. The eye has a natural ability to see at night under low lighting. Too many of the LED's put out too much brightness. Any light that goes beyond the boarder of a campsite or property is called light trespass.

The city of Tucson has a lighting ordinance to protect the observatories at Kitt Peak. They only ask that the lighting be shielded and aimed at the ground on your own property and not be excessive. I have seen the Milky Way at night while standing on a street in down town Tucson. Amazing. Bad lighting can cause accidents at night and can aid in crime if not properly installed. A lot of the younger engineers are using the better lighting in their designs when putting up buildings. You can see in the parking lots better than having three or four more times light that shines out and causes light glare.

Don't want to give people here the wrong idea, as I am pretty much a live and let live type of person. However any super bright lighting I don't welcome. I camped in an area that promoted astronomy last year. They had a dark sky rules for astronomers. However they were not enforced and even some of the astronomers weren't very considerate ruining my stay and what I thought I had paid for. Even had someone come in after dark (was against the rules) and was treated to over 30 minutes of truck head lights. I have not been back to that campground.

Here is a map of what excessive light pollution looks like:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1440056/thumbs/o-SATELLITE-IMAGE-UNITED-STATES-facebook.jpg

Oldgator73 said:
http://blog.rvusa.com/8-holiday-decoration-ideas-for-your-rv/

Too much?

Naw, man!  That's just holiday spirit!  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom