Class A or C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jasonlowehvac said:
Is a Convex roof rounded/arched?

Yes...ever so slightly, but just enough to help allow water to drain off.

Looks like you're an east-coaster...if you were on the left coast...I could make you a deal on a 22' Class C Winnebago that just isn't big enough for us.

We're in the "look and learn" process of finding a Class A coach.

BoomerD -
we're in the process you are - looking for a class A to replace our class C Tioga we have had since 1997.
for quite a few years, I have had my heart set on a 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 32PBD, or the Monaco Cayman (same rig, different name). I loved the rv, but recently have noticed some other class A's with a more "user-friendly" living room area. I'll start a new thread in a bit regarding floorplans and see what responses I get.

joester said:
BoomerD -
we're in the process you are - looking for a class A to replace our class C Tioga we have had since 1997.
for quite a few years, I have had my heart set on a 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 32PBD, or the Monaco Cayman (same rig, different name). I loved the rv, but recently have noticed some other class A's with a more "user-friendly" living room area. I'll start a new thread in a bit regarding floorplans and see what responses I get.
Don't you just hate that?  You figure out what you want but along comes something better and you go Hmmmm and presto, back to rethinking it.  better now than after you bought it I always say.

We have looked at a few Fleetwood Bounder gassers. A few 34 footers and a 37 footer with the tag axle. Out of the Class A's we have looked at, the Bounders seem to offer more options and a higher quality construction. The ages ranged from '92 to '96. Can anyone offer any advice or reviews of the early to mid 90's Bounders? Thanks

I have a friend who is seriously thinking of towing one of those little teardrop type trailers behind his wife's SUV and going out on a road trip for 6 or more weeks. We discussed the lack of storage, toilet, shower, and refrigeration...and the workarounds. We also talked about the lack of stowed water. He's convinced his wife will be fine with roughing it and mixing in a few hotels along the way. 

Personally, I think that would be a workable idea for young single guy gone fishing or hunting for the weekend, but otherwise a gigantic pain in the rear and wouldn't doubt he may end up exceeding his tow weight once he starts loading up with stuff he begins to discovers he needs.

He's actually a smart and creative guy, but prone to believing and acting on his own BS.

If his conceived road trip (disaster) gets off the ground I will keep you informed.  :eek:

we recently stepped over to a C from a popup trailer
We discussed, researched and looked for maybe 3-1/2 years, considering all sorts of angles from a TT, to C's to A's
I am so happy we went with a MH over a TT.... every time I see a TT on the road now.  Those little tires struggling along back there, and the memory of all the hitch up and set-up time it takes....

Anyway, the biggest reeason we went the way we did was floor plan.  DW liked it.  Enough said.

Not absolute, but for the most part the c's feel better for families while so many A's seem to be set-up for couple living.... in my opinion.

With 3 little kids, I wanted a bed for everyone without haveing to use the dinette and sofa, but the few bunkhouse models had chopped up kitchen floor plans that we just didn't care for.  So the comprimise is that the sofa gets used some times.... actually we could fit 4 kids in the overhead, but the danger of falling for our little one is too great right now.  The A's that had an overhead bunk were few, but they do exist..... but it's another mechanism to fail, so not as appealing.

I like the larger basements, and the enclosed piping and such in the A's.... but some of the C's now have huge basement compartments too.  Some may even have enclosed pipes, but that's something I gave up.
Storage - Many say that c's are limited.  Some are, but we actually have plenty of storage in ours.  A couple fairly large outside storage compartments and lots of cabinets.  So much that we have yet to use all of it efficiently.

We liked the feel entering the C..... lower to the ground, and the door opens to a stairwell, rather than ghaveing fold out steps.

Cab seats that swivel around would surely be nice like in the A's.  Some smaller C's on chevy chassis have this option though..... and some say it's unuseable space in the cab, but that's not totally true.  Ours is used for storage, and a person could still go up there to sit and read or whatever.....

I think that situational awareness is likely a bit better when driving an A.  With my C, I can see the bunk sticking out front over my head so i know something is up there, but it's hard to perceive how high it is..... ditto the width of the house sticking out beyond my driver and passenger doors.  With the A it seems that your visual perspective reaches almost out to the edge so imagine that's a '+' for an A.

Find a floor plan you like.  I found with many of the C's the floor plans seemed chopped up.  More so than in many of the A's.  Small little ell shaped kitchens without much counter or cabinet space.... and TV's mounted on swing arms that would always be in the way of somebody.  That's the bigest reason we liked the floor plan we picked.

Oh, and my weight capacity is a bit limited, but then again many of the smaller A's are too from what I found.  I'm still dialing in my load so I don't have a fix on where I am just yet..... and my tank capacity is a bit light on the grey water side....

And ditto to a previous post re. tires.  That was a selling point for me, as well as a chassis that is more "familiar" to a random auto shop in somewhereville USA

My 2 cents....
make a list, 2 columns - must haves in one column and would be nice features in the other.

Back
Top Bottom