Class A or Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

analemma77

We are thinking of buying a Class C for a family or four with two 8 year olds, and towing the Ford Fiesta behind.  I just assumed the Class C is less expensive, but now I'm seeing Thor Class A rigs that are in a similar price range.  Any advice on Class A versus Class C?  Thanks

It depends on a few things... are you buying new, or used; gas or diesel? Class As tend to be a bit heavier duty than Class Cs, because Class Cs are usually built on lighter duty frames. Class Cs usually have less storage space and hence, less carrying capacity than Class As for the same reason. They also tend to have less towing capacity than Class As, but you have to look at the numbers of each.

You should also pay attention to the holding tank capacities of different RVs. They can vary widely. Some are so small that a family of four could find themselves out of fresh water, or with a full grey or black tank in just a couple of days.

Kev

A couple of thoughts:

The overhead bunk on a Class C is ideal for your kids. It becomes their bedroom and place to hang out on a rainy day.

Entry-level Thor Class A units are poorly constructed. They met that price point by skimping on quality,

We just traded in our class A for a class C. Our reasons were the Cs are easier to drive, in our opinion. Driving a class A is like driving a bus, you are sitting way up high in front of the wheels. Driving a class C is like driving a truck, or maybe like a Uhaul. While driving a class A, you have giant windows that the sun bakes you through. One of our other reasons is simply we like how it looks better. The others are correct, there is less storage in the class C. My advice would be to drive both before you make a decision. Look at lots of them to find the best floor plan.

I think you would likely be much better off bang for your buck buying a slightly older higher quality unit, than a new / newer entry level quality coach like most of what Thor builds.

Simply put full body paint, beats vinyl graphics, solid wood cabinets held together with screws is better than particle board held together with staples, fiberglass shower pans beats plastic, Aluminum or Fiberglass roofs, beat rubber membrane roofs (EPDM, TPO, etc.).  All of the entry level coaches out there today are full of bling to blind you to their terrible quality of materials and near complete lack of quality control, so try to see past the color changing LED lighting, and cheap flat screen tv's everywhere, and look at what is underneath, more importantly look at the fit and finish, is the cabinet work already coming apart at the dealership, does the latch on the bathroom door line up and work, ....  these things are not going to improve with time.

Personally if I were going to be spending $60,000 - $80,000 that an entry level Thor Class A sells for new today, I would instead be looking at buying a 10 or so year old higher quality coach from a company like Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari, Tiffin, or any number of other mid-upper tier brands.  It will retain some of its value better, and will likely not be falling apart inside of a year.

In my opinion a class A is superior: costs about the same (for a given quality), way easier to drive, larger tanks, more carrying capacity. The principle advantage for class C is that overhead bunk - maybe! It's not free space but takes up five to eight feet of the overall length.

At a comparable length the A is simply superior.

Ernie

RvChristy is right that the Class C is more familiar to a car-driver and thus easy to learn, but that isn't the same as "easier to drive".

The price picture is initially misleading because you see Class C advertised prices that are relatively low vs Class A models that seem sky high.  However, once you look closely at equivalent sizes and equipment, you will find they are essentially the same.  The A's are generally better-equipped, though, so there may still a difference in the lowest priced models of each. For example, few A's lack a leveling system (jacks), while it's an option on even the largest C's.  You can manage without one, but do you want to? Other examples include larger fresh and waste water tanks, larger fridge, roomier bath/shower, etc. So unless you are looking for a bare-bones model and the smallest sizes, you ought to compare to similar Class A's.  Check out Winnebago's Vista models, for example, and compare the standard equipment to even the top line Winnie C's.

I will second Gary's comment about leveling jacks, I never want to own another RV without them, they make life SO MUCH easier.  Pull in, push a button or two and in a few seconds you are level for the night, no spending time messing with wheel ramps, just push a button and you are done.  Worst case in very out of level sites, or places with soft ground you have to put down leveling pads first, but that still beats dealing with ramps.

Using Gary's advice, If you look at Winnebago's webpage you will see a new entry level Class A called the "Intent", cheaper than the Vista.  The "Outback" is the Class C version.  These are new models and are the first rubber roof motorized Winnebagos.....ever! (not a good thing).  They don't even mention it in the brochures, so just beware those two models have lowered the bar a bit further than the Vista to get pricing down, but most of it hidden.

RvChristy said:
We just traded in our class A for a class C. Our reasons were the Cs are easier to drive, in our opinion. Driving a class A is like driving a bus, you are sitting way up high in front of the wheels. Driving a class C is like driving a truck, or maybe like a Uhaul.

I've mostly owned motorhomes since 1982 with trailers before that. Five years ago I also went from a newer Class A to an older C. I could easily pay cash for a brand new Newmar Class A but I don't want one. I don't feel the need to impress anyone but myself for finding a bargain. People say the price is the same for what you get. I heartily disagree especially in the used market. A Class C has lower trade in value but that also means used ones are way cheaper. Because Class C's are mostly owned by working families they often have low miles on them. A Class A is like driving a bus. A Class C is a van so it drives like a van and I much prefer that. All the controls are where you expect them to be. My C handles just as good in high winds or when a semi passes me. A long Class C may have a shorter wheelbase and more rear overhang but that means you can make sharper right hand turns on a narrow street. Although I've never had a wreck a steel van cab is much, much safer than fiberglass with no crush area. Just about any car mechanic can work on a Class C, if they are willing to. We have 5 grandchildren and a C generally has more sleeping arrangements. We have plenty of storage because my wife and I only travel with essentials and leave the kitchen sink at home. Mine has a 40 gallon black tank. If you need more than that you should see a doctor. In all areas it fits our needs better and we aren't sacrificing a thing. But be aware a lot of people look down on Class C owners because they own Class A's. I could really give a flip, I'm there for the scenery not to impress them.

TheBar said:
But be aware a lot of people look down on Class C owners because they own Class A's.

Hmmmm... that doesn't jibe with my experience at all. I enjoy meeting and talking with folks using all kinds of RVs, from tiny trailers not much bigger than a tent to huge tricked out Class As. I've never had the feeling that others "look down" on any particular group just because of what they own.

TheBar said:
I've mostly owned motorhomes since 1982 with trailers before that. Five years ago I also went from a newer Class A to an older C. I could easily pay cash for a brand new Newmar Class A but I don't want one. I don't feel the need to impress anyone but myself for finding a bargain. People say the price is the same for what you get. I heartily disagree especially in the used market. A Class C has lower trade in value but that also means used ones are way cheaper. Because Class C's are mostly owned by working families they often have low miles on them. A Class A is like driving a bus. A Class C is a van so it drives like a van and I much prefer that. All the controls are where you expect them to be. My C handles just as good in high winds or when a semi passes me. A long Class C may have a shorter wheelbase and more rear overhang but that means you can make sharper right hand turns on a narrow street. Although I've never had a wreck a steel van cab is much, much safer than fiberglass with no crush area. Just about any car mechanic can work on a Class C, if they are willing to. We have 5 grandchildren and a C generally has more sleeping arrangements. We have plenty of storage because my wife and I only travel with essentials and leave the kitchen sink at home. Mine has a 40 gallon black tank. If you need more than that you should see a doctor. In all areas it fits our needs better and we aren't sacrificing a thing. But be aware a lot of people look down on Class C owners because they own Class A's. I could really give a flip, I'm there for the scenery not to impress them.
I do not agree with one single thing in this rant. I have owned several As and several Cs and I would never consider a C if I were in the market.

I'm with Tom and jymbee. While the post may reflect the preferences and/or opinions of the poster, there aren't many facts in there, including his snide reference to supposed snobs in class A machines.

More specifically, "A Class C is a van so it drives like a van" is mostly incorrect, since the class C is much heavier, wider, and taller than a van, thus driving differently. I'll grant, though, that being in the class C cab tends to feel much like a van, except for the view out the mirrors, the overhanging bunk and such, but it certainly won't feel like a van, due to the extra size and weight.

The poster is certainly welcome to his opinions and preferences, but should not state them as if they apply to everyone, since that obviously isn't a fact.

I am relatively new here, but just went thru the choosing A or C thing. With help from this forum, and looking at all options available, we finally went with Class C, and so far are happy. We don't plan on full timing, so that became a factor. It is easy to drive,  (actually not much to learn, it's like a large truck from the cockpit), we have plenty of storage (if we had two kids instead of grandkids that will be on occasional trips we would have gotten a bigger one), our rig has all the bells and whistles like auto leveling, auto electric/propane on all but the stove, and pretty much everything else we saw on similar sized class A's. Then of course, we considered the limited safety factors, and the Class C seemed to fare better in that respect, though any unfortunate event in either wouldn't be good.

As the wise and wonderful experienced folks on this forum will tell you, find the rig that feels right for your family. Sit in them, get in the showers, have the kids climb into their sleeping areas, imagine yourselves coming back from a days adventure to it. Is it big enough for comfort, small enough to go where you want to take it, and .... well, does it feel right? You will know when you find it. We did.

Good luck!!  Hope you will be starting your RV adventure very soon.

Well said Sweetsurrender!

Not totally sure where TheBar was going with that other than maybe a....well I don't know, but y'all are in denial if you don't think there is a segregation of classes out there.  Some of it is a perception, but there is some arrogance not just between RV classes, but even brands.  I remember a long thread on my 5th wheel forum about how an FMCA placard on your ladder of your Class A gave you the right to be a jerk and pull up to the pumps, stick the nozzle in and go take your family to lunch.  I couldn't believe the animosity that poured out in that thread.  It's there.

I have been RVing and camping all my life, from tents to diesel pushers and everything in between. I have never experienced any prejudice because of either brand or class. I am sure it might happen, but it has never happened to me. 

But be aware a lot of people look down on Class C owners because they own Class A's. I could really give a flip, I'm there for the scenery not to impress them.

Hogwash!  Since 1972 we've owned three Cs and two As.  Each one was a step up because that's what we wanted and liked, certainly not to impress anyone.  In all those years we've seldom encountered snobs like you mentioned.  The majority of RVers are pretty nice people who like to meet new friends and maybe even lend a hand if needed.  I could care less about what RV someone owns.  Their character and friendliness is far more important!  That's why the RV Forum is so nice.  No one gives a hoot about what you drive, but we have a lot of fun and camaraderie when we get together for rallies.

As to the C vs. A issue, a C initially seems easier to drive but be aware of the drawbacks, most of which have already been addressed like smaller tanks, more limited visibility for driving, short wheelbase with long rear swingout, etc.  The positive is they're generally designed for families so usually have more sleeping spaces.

An A generally is easier to drive but many people are intimidated by their size.  I've enjoyed driving all five of our motorhomes.  The A usually has better visibility from the cockpit and handling is often better.  They're generally designed for fewer people but have larger tanks and larger underbays for storage.

What suits you and your family is the most important factor.  Like realtors we always say Floorplan, Floorplan, Floorplan!  if you don't get what you like, you'll never enjoy it so look at what you need and can afford.

ArdraF

I personally have not seen much snobbishness out there in the RV world, and what there is is not uni-directional, there are class A owners that may look down on 5th wheel owners, and 5th wheel owners that think class A's are a waste of money only bought by idiots.    The ranch manager on our family cattle ranch is one of the second and is constantly asking me if I regret buying my used class A yet, usually while I am repairing something as I keep it in a shed on the ranch.

Though for the most part it seems most RV owners believe in getting the right tool for the job, and many class A owners started out with travel trailers and class C's.    I started out tent camping, then moved up to camper vans, and eventually to a small class A in 2016, each one was a step up in comfort, and a step down in flexibility.  It is hard to beat a tent for grab and go, along with requiring the least out of a camping site (though showers and restrooms are nice).    My current wife is less of a roughing it sort of person and a big part of why I now have a class A instead of something smaller as she did not want a toilet in her shower.

As to status symbol, sure there are class A only RV resorts that don't allow coaches over 10 years in age, maybe the snobs all go to these, since I have never been to one I can't say, what I can say is I rarely seem them out in the wild. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom