Class C LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carin

My lights in the bathroom of my 2017 3171DS Forest River Forester are having their own disco ball fun.
I assumed the LED's were going out. I finally got the round cover off and found they are hard wired in.  What do I do know?

Not sure what help you are expecting. You didn't ask a specific question. Are you wondering why they flash, or how to remove them, or what to repalce with?
Leds are very much voltage sensitive and can do strange things if the line voltage goes whacky.  But cheaply designed Leds can deteriorate with age of as a result of fluctuating voltages too. An RV 12v system is a harsh environment for electronics, so only the best designs survive well.

Carin said:
My lights in the bathroom of my 2017 3171DS Forest River Forester are having their own disco ball fun.
I assumed the LED's were going out. I finally got the round cover off and found they are hard wired in.  What do I do know?

Assuming it's not a voltage issue, you may need to replace the entire fixture.  I have no idea what your location looks like, but if it is ceiling mounted I found these nice.  Two different colors of white light and three different brightness levels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0892C38J1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not that difficult of an install, but you do need to get positive and negative correct or they won't function.

Just to backfill for information purposes, often the reason they "disco" is either a solder connection has crystallized and become thermally intermittent or the die bond within an LED itself has done the same.  Root cause for both is usually insufficient thermal transfer between the surface mount LED's and the substrate (poor design).  Since LED's operate at voltages well below 12V (white LED's are nominally 4V) they are wired in a series/parallel configuration in multiple strings depending on how many discrete LED's make up the substrate assembly.  Just like Christmas lights when one goes dark they all can go.  Because LED assemblies these days are cranked out in massive quantities for the lowest price point possible quality control and inherent design standards are low priorities.  So between lowest cost manufacturing, poor thermal and mechanical design and the spec's or lack thereof of the LED's themselves you have the makings of a less than robust light assembly.  They light up out of the box and will usually work OK for many applications.  Until they don't.

It's easy enough to R&R the fixture so treat it as an opportunity to upgrade to something you aesthetically like better.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The Kohree LED light was very bright, I love the dual switch and it does not heat up at all. There is a switch for lighting one side or both, so we do have a choice of 300 or 600 Lumens. Easy installation too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom