Class C Pricing - what is a fair price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deanon

I'm looking at a new 2015 Thor Chateau 31w.  The "retail" price is $115,000, but the dealer has the price slashed to $79,999.  I wonder how inflated the retail price is and is $80k still too much to pay?  Does anyone know how much wiggle room a retailer has for something like this.  Would an offer of $60k be out of line.  I think they overinflate the prices and try to sucker people into paying way over what the RV is worth.  Am I wrong?

RV pricing is so strange because of how much dealers take off MSRP.  A very rough rule of thumb is 25%-35% off the MSRP on a new RV.  Beyond that, you'll have to do your best haggling.  I suggest working with several dealers and play them off each other.

Having said that, nothing wrong with offering $60K on a $115K RV but the dealer may think you aren't serious.

I just Googled it and found one "msrp:109,000 asking: 75,000" in Jacksonville florida. Saw some others in the 80 to 85 range with msrp of 115 or better. You can also find a used 2014 that would be in the 45 to 50 k range aswell. I'm no expert.

I just went through this. I wanted a class A. Preferably a DP. I started looking on the web first. Found some things I liked and went into it with the "I don't need this" attitude. When I got to where I decided to start my physical search. I began to learn a lot about motorhomes. Looking at new vs used. DP'S were way out of what I wanted to pay for as new. I also saw that the class A gasses were right in my price range as new.  Then I came across what I have now. After the mechanics gave me the thumbs up. I ended up buying a used 06 DP. Fleetwood providence 39s with 3 slides.

I guess what I'm saying here is do your research before you jump in. You may find something just as good or maybe a smidgen better for the price you want to pay.

Part of the problem is that you may find the same trailer, at a different dealer, with a different MSRP.  Which is correct and is the higher one just there to make the discount look better?  It sounds like the deal you are looking at is pretty close to what you can expect but there is always a little more.  Probably not the $20,000 you are asking for but you won't know until you talk to him. 

I just picked up my 2015 class c jayco for 35% off msrp. No haggling, no "dealer prep". Just make sure the build sheet is unaltered from the manufacturer.

Another aspect to the problem,,,RVs in general have so many different OPTIONS that comparing them like cars off an assembly line is not possible. I think it boils down to,,, if you like/want it and can afford it then make up your mind that your going to have to pay for it.>>>Dan

I picked up my '13 model new on a dealer's lot in Summer '14.  It had been there a year and so they were wanting to move it to make room for the '15 models.
Similar coach, and I couldn't get them down to $60k, and they were hungry to move it.
When i couldn't get them to move on price any more, I started asking them to throw in bunk ladders, spare tires, store credit, etc....
I'll bet you'll land around $70K this time of the year....

There is nothing wrong with buying it at 60k.

Some of the dealer will set a high MSRP for example 130k and then slahed to 100k to make you feel you happy to save a lot more money and purchase it immediately, even if it just cost them not more than 30k(Still have 70k profit)

Don't be trapped by the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trooper#1
Back
Top Bottom