Class C - Sprinter Diesel vs E-450 Gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kudzu

It being a couple of weeks before our schedule will allow us to get to a dealer to actually look and touch, my wife and I are learning as much as we can and entertaining ourselves on-line. It appears that, no matter what line we choose, a fundamental choice must be made between the Sprinter diesel and the E-450 gas chassis. Beyond the obvious efficiency vs. power, what are the considerations?

Most of the Sprinter diesels don't have a lot of carrying capacity, also they will only handle B5 diesel fuel or lower... https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf, B20 is becoming more popular in the west. You also won't be able to take it into Mexico as they don't have much or any USLD diesel.

The ford will give you more carrying capacity and allow you to tow a heavier car, they are also easier and cheaper to repair and Far more dealers around the country. They will have much poorer MPG than the Sprinters.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Most of the Sprinter diesels don't have a lot of carrying capacity, also they will only handle B5 diesel fuel or lower... https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf, B20 is becoming more popular in the west. You also won't be able to take it into Mexico as they don't have much or any USLD diesel.

The ford will give you more carrying capacity and allow you to tow a heavier car, they are also easier and cheaper to repair and Far more dealers around the country. They will have much poorer MPG than the Sprinters.
I agree, but have two comments - 1) I have never had any difficulty is getting B5 diesel fuel out west (or anywhere in the U.S., for that matter) and B20 can be used in a pinch.  2) I had an E450 class C before I bought my Era on a Sprinter chassis.  My gas mileage was about 8 mpg.  My Sprinter averages about 18 mpg or just over twice that of my E450.  The couple of mpg's above "twice" just about offset the higher price per gal for diesel, meaning I can go about twice the distance for the same fuel cost.  So, you need to consider how you plan to use your RV.  If you expect to drive to a destination and then spend several days, then the E450 mpg might not be so critical.  However, if you expect to travel about, making mostly one-night stands then moving on, the Sprinter diesel mpg might be more attractive.

Terry and Molaker, thank you! You both gave me helpful information for decision making.

We started off drawn to the mileage of the Sprinter and gradually drifted to the E-450 because of the hauling and towing capacity, and because there is a Ford dealer in every town of any size. We knew nothing of the fuel issue or how much more expensive the Sprinter would be to service and repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom