Class C View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunvale

We are not new to RVing but have taken a brake from it for a number of years. Now my Wife purchased a 2017 View that she can drive and I am stuck with maintenance. I am also new to the Forum and hope I do not make to many mistakes posting. I am looking for some opinions and suggestions. We purchased the unit with ALCOA wheels and already I find one of the wheels is tweaked. Also the engine, a Mercedes diesel has a whistle on acceleration and when I let of the fuel the whistle goes away.
Hope I get some suggestions and opinions from other users

With a unit that new I would be contacting the Mercedes dealership, one with sufficient space and knowledge to handle that Sprinter chassis. There should be a lot of warranty left on that chassis.

There is lots of warranty. But in Western Michigan there is only one MB that will work on it and thats 200 miles away.
Have a message out to the manufacturer and we will see how well their customer service is doing

Not sure I know what a "tweaked wheel" is, but as for the whistle, I would check out the air intake path and make sure all is secure (air filter, enclosure, etc.).  A noticeable whistle probably means an air leak or partial obstruction.

that whistle might be the turbo spooling up,
but it's the tweaked wheel that has me puzzled.    What makes you say it's tweaked ?

if a solid aluminum wheel is bent or tweaked it's ruined...and it's dangerous

had the front end aligned as directed by the dealer and the fellow there told me i should have the steering wheels balanced since one wheel had a lot of lead on it. The truck balancing place showed me how the wheel was torqued just enough to need lots of lead to get in in some shape. Still shimmies the steering wheel at 60-70 MPH.
Have 800 miles on the unit.

that's a bad tire.    Alloy wheels are either perfectly true or ruined.

if it was me I'd get two new front tires.

the shop placed an indicator next to the wheel bead and it showed the wheel being of by about 1/4 inch, the tire ran pretty true

sunvale said:
the shop placed an indicator next to the wheel bead and it showed the wheel being of by about 1/4 inch, the tire ran pretty true

You just defined a bad wheel.  Certainly that should be warranty??!!

I contacted the dealer and their service department contacted the manufacturer. I'm sure they will fix/replace the wheel. Something tells me the wheel was bend when the tire was mounted after they took the tire of the steel wheel. I ordered ALCOA wheels when I purchased the Coach. Anyone have an idea as to the long levity of ALCOA wheels barring no pot holes?

Longevity ?  you do know that semis that run millions of miles use ALCOA aluminum rims , right ?    If treated properly ( as with anything ) , they SHOULD outlast the camper .  And that whistle .... any chance you post a sound clip of that noise ?  As was said earlier , could be turbo spooling up .... ???? If it was an air leak in the air  to air line , you would NOT have any power . ( no turbo boost )

Thanks for the reply. Slight difference between Semi truck ALCOAs and this motorhome. But I would hope that is the case to some extend

Thanks for the reply. Slight difference between Semi truck ALCOAs and this motorhome

Really ?  And what might that be ?  ???

Mass of the wheels. A 16 inch wheel is about 17lb heavier on the semi. Info I got from the truck tire shop when they balanced my wheels

are you sure that wheel is properly seated on the hub ?

16" wheels are often either the pin type or the hub type and can be mis-seated on the hub.

It's on right. I saw the wobble on the spin up with an indicator. About 1/4 inch

I think you will find that Class C View model on the Sprinter (Mercedes) chassis is classified as a Class B in most cases. JMHO....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom