Claustrophobia issues? An RV that feels like a house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 37.5' class A with one slide out.  I've seen some that have many slide outs, but it sounds to me like you would at least want a bedroom slide out.  I saw a Class A with two slides, a bedroom slide out and a living room slide out.  In the bedroom they did have a king sized bed with lots of room.  (at least compared to mine)  The other thing about my Adventurer that I like is the large "picture window" for a windshield, and lots of windows.  When I go to my farm, (116 acres of pine trees) I am completely surrounded by my property, so am not concerned about people looking in.  This affords me the opportunity to open all of the windows.  Although, my unit is only about 300 sq ft, like this it feels way more open than my S&B.  At a CG though, I usually have the windshield covered, as well as the blinds and drapes closed, especially at night.  In this state, I'm not sure if your claustrophobia would be a problem or not. 

So at the RV show, if possible, see if you can shut all the windows and pull the drapes over the windshield and see how you feel.  If you can't do it at the show, any RV dealer would allow you to try this to see how you feel.  Also as mentioned earlier, sit down in the bathroom (toilet area) and shut the door.  If that doesn't work for you, try just leaving the bathroom door open.  My toilet area has a door on each side of the bathroom, and a separate door for the toilet area, so you could still have privacy while still being able to breathe. 

Good luck with your search.

At about 325 sq ft with our single super slide extended, we feel our 34' coach is quite roomy, but when the window coverings are in place for the night, I can see where someone with space size issues could have an problem. I had to chuckle the other day though, when we had guests that had never been in a Class A motorhome before. The fellow is a realtor, and he said, "Wow! If this was an apartment on the Upper East Side in NYC, it would rent for at least $3000 a month! Maybe $4000, if we billed the dashboard and steering wheel in the living room as 'modern art'."  ;D

Renting seems like what you should do. You will know from that. At best an rv is a luxury apartment on wheels.

Actually, you should be spending most of your time outside. Maybe you can get a toy with a rear deck and sleep under the stars when the weather is good.

Easily find a class A, for example, under 100k, even down to 50k easily (see rvt.com). Cookie cutter becomes irrelevant because you can then remodel to your hearts content and not feel bashful about it since you probably need to change the floor and furniture anyway.

I suspect a persons size and weight may affect things like getting in and out of a toilet or height for bumping ones head for some of the showers. My wife and I are careful with our weight, but I have found that I have to eat a lot less than I use to and keep my eye on the scale. Both of us can fit in the shower at the same time, if we want to, but neither of us like the all in one little bathrooms in the B style rvs.

Actually, I really love the Pleasure-Way XL with the murphy bed, but I would feel somewhat closed in after a week on the road. I think the full timers go to 40+ to reduce the closed in feelings after a month or so.

One more thing to consider is MCS window shades. These are one way (in the daytime) so you have privacy without feeling closed in.

Ernie

HI Zizi!!

My husband is 6'6" and we are going to be going fulltime when I retire. We have been "trying on" RV's specifically with his height and my issue with closed spaces. I'm not claustrophobic but I do get restless when I can't see the outside or have too little room. We REALLY liked the Class A Winniebagos! Anyway, with the slide outs, the window placements, sunroofs and such his size worked fine in them and I felt like I was in an actual apartment. Maybe you should look at those?

Good luck and keep asking questions!

One of the selling points of our Winnebago Voyage 38J was the opposing slideouts in the living area which makes in very open.

Paul

If big windows and tall ceilings are a priority, look at an Alfa motorhome.  They quit making them in 2008, I think, so there are only used units available, and there won't be any at RV shows. 

They have 7'6" ceilings, and tall windows that you can look out when you're standing, and not only when you're sitting.  I think it gives a more residential feel because houses and condos generally don't have just a low horizontal line of windows.

I am claustrophobic too!

I ended up with an older RV because it came with 14 windows.

Many new ones come with teeny tiny windows as if seeing the outside world is taboo.

The numerous windows provide me immense happiness and an illusion of space. Sure it cuts down on storage, but I will trade junk for happiness any day of the week.

We're in a 44' DP ... which translates into roughly 425 square feet when the slides are out.  We've got the typical 7' RV ceilings throughout - as well as reasonably wide aisles.  The space - combined with pretty generous windows in the salon/galley portion as well as in the bedroom - means we're not left feeling "claustrophobic" in the coach.  But, despite the fact that we're in a larger unit than many - it's still a "cozy" living space. 

As far as colors go ... I guess I don't have much to add.  I've been married for 30 years ... which means I haven't picked a color in nearly 3 decades.  Our coach is a 2012 ... so it's lots of wood and earth tones.  Had there been a choice - I might have picked something different - but I'm OK with it as it sit.  I'm just thankful it's not one of the cream, mauve and cyan color schemes that were popular a few years earlier! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjoutdoors
Back
Top Bottom