Clicking in ac unit when furnace kicks on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon Dean

I have a 38ft 2007 Cherokee by forest river
Something new just started happening when my furnace kicks on there is a clicking sound coming from my a/c unit when the furnace first kicks on and then it stops and it’s definitely comes from a/c unit and not the furnace

I have a 38ft 2007 Cherokee by forest river
Something new just started happening when my furnace kicks on there is a clicking sound coming from my a/c unit when the furnace first kicks on and then it stops and it’s definitely comes from a/c unit and not the furnace
Do you have the heating coil option inside your AC?

I am betting that you have one thermostat that controls both the furnace and the air conditioner? In this case the thermostat sends it's signal to a control circuit board in the air conditioner which then sends it to the furnace if calling for heat or turns on the a/c if calling for cooling. A relay is involved so it may be that for some reason it chatters a bit each time heat is requested. What thermostat, a/c unit, and furnace do you have? One click would not be abnormal but a series of them is abnormal.

That thermostat does send the signal to the circuit board in your air conditioner, as I suspected. Is the clicking constant, brief but rapid, or just one click? What is the make and model of the air conditioner?

Looks just like this
That thermostat does send the signal to the circuit board in your air conditioner, as I suspected. Is the clicking constant, brief but rapid, or just one click? What is the make and model of the air conditioner?
The thermostat in my house does the same thing. The moment it is activated at the change of temperature I can here it make 2 or 3 clicking sounds, then the heater or A/C comes on. The previous thermostat did it also, although not quite as prominent of a sound.

It’s a weird 3 clicks and I moved the temp down a few degrees and it stopped doing it so I’m not sure what made it happen.
We are full time campers and all winter long it was fine and then one morning started clicking…next question would be how hard of a fix is it and does this mean my air won’t work come summer?

It’s a weird 3 clicks and I moved the temp down a few degrees and it stopped doing it so I’m not sure what made it happen.
We are full time campers and all winter long it was fine and then one morning started clicking…next question would be how hard of a fix is it and does this mean my air won’t work come summer?
You can test that out right now. Just set the therm real low and turn on your A/C. If you get cold air, it works.

You can test that out right now. Just set the therm real low and turn on your A/C. If you get cold air, it works.
Providing the Outside Air Temp isn't too low. By design, the A/C on my house won't come on if OAT is below 60º F. I'm not sure about those on RVs, but low OAT is likely a factor.

…next question would be how hard of a fix is it and does this mean my air won’t work come summer?
I would do the test suggested in post #10. You said it quit when you turned the temperature down, how about turning it up? You could also shift to furnace mode and turn the temperature up enough to start the furnace to test that.

As to how hard it would be to repair, that depends on the skills of the worker, and the make/model of air conditioner. If the problem is the thermostat, you can get one just like it from Amazon for $16 and it isn't difficult to replace. To say more without more information would only be guessing since not all air conditioners are the same. It the clicking is from the a/c unit then it isn't likely to be cause by the thermostat, but there is a small chance of that.

Well right now the current temps are like mid 30’s so cold air wouldn’t be hard to get lol…turning it up the sounds still happens the heat still works fine it just clicks when the furnace starts i have considered just buying a new thermostat for the simple fact I can eliminate that as the problem

Well right now the current temps are like mid 30’s so cold air wouldn’t be hard to get lol…turning it up the sounds still happens the heat still works fine it just clicks when the furnace starts i have considered just buying a new thermostat for the simple fact I can eliminate that as the problem
Buy the one on Amazon and try it. If it fixes your problem, great. If it doesn’t fix the problem, just send it back to Amazon.

i have considered just buying a new thermostat for the simple fact I can eliminate that as the problem
That might work but I rather doubt it. Let us know what happens, either way. I have worked with thermostats for control issues but don't remember having come across the clicking problem that you have. For some reason it seems to be the relay clicking. It would help some to know what make/model your air conditioner is as the circuit involved is not the same in all of them.

Back
Top Bottom