Close to Del Mar CA fairgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernerGran

Dear wonderful RV pals,

Walt and I have come upon a small problem - on the scale of 1-10...not all that big..but here is the story.
We are heading to Del Mar in a week or so to attend the National Bernese Mountain Dog National Specialty show at the fairgrounds beginning on April 4 and continuing through the 9th. We are staying onsite at the fairgrounds, but just learned that we cannot check in there until Monday morning, April 4th at 9:00.

That being said, we need to find a place to park the RV for the few days before then, near to the fairgrounds, so we can get up early and get into the fairground lot.

Our show committee made a big faux pas, in that they never checked the check-in time at the fairgrounds..and the show starts on Monday morning. I know we won't be the only ones affected by this inconvenience. Dog show people usually check in early so they can get their dogs ready, acclimated, etc.

I have looked at places in So Calif, and haven't made any calls to find a space.

I know lots of you have been  to that neck of the woods, so what can you recommend?

Any thoughts or discussion would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and I will check back often today.

BernerGran (Libby)

San Elijo State Beach is really close but it ain't cheap and the electric sites are limited to about 28-feet. Can't help with any others in the area. Don't suppose the parking lot at the fairgrounds would be a possibility?

Wendy

Hi Wendy - so good to hear from you.

I know about the Campground you are talking about.

The fairgrounds won't be open to us until 9:00 Monday morning.

I just learned that the host hotel will allow us to park in their lot - will charge $50 to just park there, and only for Sunday night.

So, that is the story.
I know we will find something. We are considering going to Anaheim to do Dis for the weekend and then getting up early to drive down to Del Mar.

Libby

Hi everyone,

I am happy to report that Walt and I have found a spot to land out in Del Mar where we are heading in a week or so. It is the Surf n Turf RV Park that is next to the host hotel, so we can wander (me scoot) between there and the fairgrounds. We were fortunate to get into a spot where there was a cancellation.

I gather that this site isn't terrible fancy, but it will do for us, as we will be busy most of the week anyway. So, that being said, I will let you all know what it  is like. So far, the lady who we have spoken to has be very gracious.

BernerGran

Glad you found a spot. Will they give you a discount on the $3 dog fee?

Wendy

Wendy - Yes, we are getting a weekly rate for the site and the dogs - instead of $9 a day for the 3, it will be 5 something.

I mean - why charge for the dogs? Just a way to make money. I can see in hotels if the shed a lot, or have an accident, but it is our space..that's what I meant when I posted a minute ago in the Shade Tree.

At least they will take multiple big dogs - many won't. This whole  trip has become a nightmare - because our show chair didn't handle this facet - I offered to handle the RV parking, and she said, she didn't need an RV chair because there is a WagonMaster at those fairgrounds who will collect the money. But no one ever asked about check-in time until I did the other day, and found we could not go on site until  9 am Mon am. And our show actually starts on Sunday. Then in her note to everyone, when she was challenged about how this happened, she said no one stepped up to take this on. I wanted to put my fist through the computer screen.

Sorry about my grousing..it will be fine in the end for us..but there are others who are pretty angry.

How are you, btw? Haven't talked to you in a very long time. We have had a new grandson since last we spoke.

Libby

Back
Top Bottom