closing the barn door after the horse is out ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezldog1

Help !!
I have researched so much that I am so confused now I could just SCREAM !!
I don't know if we are legal or not now...
We have a 2010 2500 HD Dodge Laramie CTD 4x4 SB  3:73 with firestone airbags. Have a 20K Curt Q5 slider.
Bought a "new to us" 2006 Silverback 33lcdts. I fell in love with it immediately.
Did some research at the time and still weren't clear but bought it anyway. I love it so much !!

I am sure hoping we are okay but am scared silly we are in trouble with weights now.
We bought it late in the season, hauled it home and parked it. Have not taken it out as yet.
Now I am very nervous :(

Any experience with weights would sure be appreciated  :)

Thanking you in advance
Jo

First off take a pill and CALM DOWN ::) Nobody is going to haul you off to Alcatraz or give you last plate of your favorite meal.  Once that is accomplished, look at the figures on the sticker on the pillar, compare them with the numbers on the trailer. Third, pull up a chair, grab a soda and do your research here.

Looking at the Trailer Life Trailer tow ratings here: http://www.trailerlife.com/Images/DigitalEditions/pdfs/DigitalTLTowGuide2010.pdf assuming you have a crewcab truck and an automatic transmission it looks like you have a tow capacity of 12750 lbs.  If you have a manual tranny or a megacab your capacity will differ slightly.

Looking at the specs for your fifth wheel it looks like your gross weight is 13805 lbs (I found a used 5er like yours for sale somewhere that listed the specs).

I don't know if you are illegal with this setup but my preference would be to pull this size of a 5er with a one ton.  It's not like you couldn't pull it but you don't have a lot of wiggle room if you were to pull in hilly/mountainous roads for braking etc.  The 2010 Dodge 6.7 L cummins should have enough power but your limitation is actually the 3.73 ratio in the rear end which reduces the towing capacity.  For example, the one ton with a 4:10 rear end and auto tranny has a 16 900 lb capacity.

Just my 2 cents but I'm sure others will chime in.

Dale

Since towing ratings are almost as useless as "dry" weights on fivers I am going to tell you that you will be able to hitch it up and tow it OK.  But you will find yourself shopping for more truck once you tow it fully loaded across a set of scales.  My last truck was a 2500HD D/A GM product and I thought I had it covered when we bought the 34CKTS.  One trip across the scales started my oddisy of higher rated tires, air bags etc.  Finally bought a dually and am now totally satisfied.

Fill it up and take it to the scales so you know what you have weight wise.  The door label will give the front axle, rear axle and total weight the vehicle is designed to handle.  The Dodge is certainly capable enough but you are probably close to or slightly over weight.  This doesn't leave much room for error and components that are tasked with working at the max will wear quicker.  I'm with donn, a dually would be best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom