club memberships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

islandmomma

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but could not find it in the library or on a search. I am still figuring out how to navigate this huge and informative site!!

When I booked my first few days in the USA for next week (for when I go down and bring home my used motorhome from an Arizona dealership), I was given a regular rate for overnight site rental and one for people with (?) Good Neighbour Sam or AAA membership. I think I know the second one as we have CAA in Canada and even BCAA in British Columbia, although I have not bothered to belong to one of these for years. Is it worth belonging to one of these and can non-Americans join? Do the sites accept Canadian auto club memberships as well for the reduced rate? It seems unimportant now but I will be a 'full-timer' in 2009 so I wanted to ask as 10% off each night seems like a good idea!! What are the costs and the advantages? Does anyone know? Is there commonly a price differential at US campsites?

Thanks everyone in advance.

jan

Don't bother with AAA.  The Canadian AA and AAA have reciprocity with each other as far as roadside service is concerned.  I suspect CAA membership would be all you might want with respect to AA services in the USA.  Discounts would depend on the discounting firm.  Check with CAA.

Good Sam is another matter.  They do have widespread discounts and I do not see them presenting a problem to Canadian memberships.  Check on their website.

Good Sam Club members get a 10% discount at 100's of parks in the US - many of us maintain an inexpensive membership just for that reason. You can pay for a year's dues in a couple weeks of camping, though it won't save you a ton of money. They don't care where you live - just want your dollars ($US, that is).

Many of us belong to Passport America, a club that offers 50% discounts at many US parks. There may be some restrictions at some of the parks as to how long & what nights you can stay at that steep discount rate, but the savings are large if they fit in with your itinerary. Passport America You can pay for a year of Passport America membership in just a few days of camping.

The Only club memberships I would recommend is FMCA if you own a motorhome, Escapees, and Passport America.  While we are members of Good Sam it is only because we became lifetime members BEFORE it was sold to the Affinity group.  We do not feel the 10% discount at GS parks is all that great and frequently will select another nicer park in the same area many of which are the same price as the GS park with discount or less expensive.

Back
Top Bottom