COFFEE TIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drink lots of coffee.  When I was young and had my own business, I'd make a pot in the AM.  Usually 12 cups and I drank most of it myself.  Sometimes I'd make a second pot if a customer or two came in.  We buy coffee beans at Costco when possible so usually have two or three pounds with us when on the road.  But that only lasts for about a month.  Have never liked Starbucks.  Tried the beans at Costco and didn't like the taste.  That's a good thing since they're over priced.  I like a mild, usually a Breakfast Blend or something that relatively mild and not sweet.  Like it fresh, black and hot. 

We buy several different brands of whole beans and grind every morning. And the DW uses the old style metal percolator but it is electric.  Due to the research into plastics leaching BPA at high heat, she avoids it whenever possible. 

We have been drinking Luzianne Coffee since before we got married.
Still using an old steel percolator that we got as a wedding present.

I start with Folgers decaf and add some expresso or other dark roast.  I'm unbearable on full bore hi test, ask my former boat crew, my dog, the Base Commander, whoever.  Seems like 1/4 expresso with the Folgers works well in the drip machine.

We also grind daily, currently a Guatamalan (sp?) blend, using a precision brewer (allegedly exactly 195 deg. F) into a stainless vacuum carafe.

Ernie

I have heard, don?t you love it when someone says that w/o references, that if you grind coffee beans they need to be fresh or you might as well just use already ground coffee. Maybe those that grind their own can shed some light on this.

Oldgator73 said:
I have heard, don?t you love it when someone says that w/o references, that if you grind coffee beans they need to be fresh or you might as well just use already ground coffee. Maybe those that grind their own can shed some light on this.

Our neighbor is one of those who believes that.
She buys her beans green, and roasts them each morning in a popcorn air-popper.

Oldgator73 said:
I will say that when I ground beans for my Aeropress, I could absolutely taste the difference between freshly ground beans and those ground 2-3 days before. It makes sense when you consider how fragile som of the aeromatic oils are. Try it yourself and see if your results are the same.

UTTransplant said:
I will say that when I ground beans for my Aeropress, I could absolutely taste the difference between freshly ground beans and those ground 2-3 days before. It makes sense when you consider how fragile som of the aeromatic oils are. Try it yourself and see if your results are the same.

I see folks at stores like Costco buy the beans and grind them on the way out (Costco has a coffee bean grinder after you checkout). I guess I don?t see the point in grinding the beans when you buy them and taking them home and putting the coffee in the cabinet.

We grind every morning and keep the beans in an airtight container as well. As far as taste, I used to require Splenda in my coffee and stopped using it when we switched.

Ernie

We like our coffee strong and black. I like mine stronger than my wife does. Most mornings I wake before she does so I make two cups. She is usually not far behind me but if not i?ll Drink both cups and make her a fresh one when she appears. Many mornings we enjoy our first cup in bed. After all, my favorite breakfast is a roll with honey.

My later brother in law introduced us to Community Coffee.  Very nice.  DH still drinks Butternut which is now owned by Folger's but the they agreed to roast as usual.  Alas I mix all and any just get me that first cup and then I am able to function. Just finished---fun topic!!!!!!

Before we got the Keurig, we used to drink 8 o'clock French Roast whole bean.  We'd grind enough for each pot as we made it.
Now that we're using K-Cups we use whatever store we're near's house brand(currently, in Bishop, CA that would be Von's), either French Roast or Italian Roast.  Minimum 4 cups a day, more on cool, stormy days.

Ernie n Tara said:
We grind every morning and keep the beans in an airtight container as well. As far as taste, I used to require Splenda in my coffee and stopped using it when we switched.

Ernie

Ernie, where did you get the air tight container?  Sounds like something that makes sense. 

We store our whole beans until we grind daily. Diane bought a "coffee vault" about 6 years ago. It is still working great. 

https://www.amazon.com/Friis-Coffee-Vault-Canister-Stainless/dp/B001V9VDP0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CWLOFA5Q6TSA&keywords=friis+coffee+vault&qid=1568649719&sprefix=Friis%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-4

I got each of the components including the sealed container on Amazon. We buy the coffee in one lb sealed bags (Amazon) and put them in the container immediately on opening.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom