Cold shower on pause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

826joey

In reading a thread on page 11, Recommended shower head, Wild Bill posted a reply that I believe has answered a question I have had why my shower would turn cold on pause. The check valve he refers to installs on back of shower, if room. My question is can I install on hot out of water heater to achieve same result? I would also install shut off valve on faucet as well.

It has been my experience that when one "pauses" a shower at the shower head, the resulting flow is anybody's bet. Of mine, one would get HOT and an other would get COLD and yet a third was any body's bet - just be sure to stand clear until you know.... One of them was cured with a single check valve to stop the reversal of the cold line flow. One of them required two check valves right before the shower control to stop the surprise temperature. One of them I don't remember......
I did try to put a check valve near the water heater and that was a total failure. I don't know why.
The shower that I put two check valves near the shower control did as expected.
Matt_C

Thanks for the reply Matt. I think I will try the install at the heater first, much easier to get to, nothing lost if it doesnt work as expected. Behind the hose on faucet end for 2nd try. Also shut off valve at hose at faucet to stop dribble

In reading a thread on page 11, Recommended shower head, Wild Bill posted a reply that I believe has answered a question I have had why my shower would turn cold on pause. The check valve he refers to installs on back of shower, if room. My question is can I install on hot out of water heater to achieve same result? I would also install shut off valve on faucet as well.
If you have a single-valve water heater bypass, the heater outlet check valve is already there.

The cooling during a shower pause occurs at the point where the cold & hot water mixes on its way to the shower head. When you shut off the flow at the head, the hot and cold still mix. The amount & speed of that mix depends largely on the relative pressure in the hot & cold lines.

When I first used my the shower in our TT I found that the shower head allowed a slight trickle when I paused the flow. So I proceeded to add a shut off valve in the line to the shower head.

It turned out that the dripping was a deliberate part of the design. Allowing that small flow prevented the cold shock after pausing the flow.

Needless to say I removed the second valve that I installed and the cold shock problem went away.
I can live with the drips. ;)

You might try just allowing a small bit of flow when pausing the the water flow to see if it makes a difference.

Just my $.02

I have one of these I bought to install in my Winnebago View motor home, as everybody on the View discussion group raved about it. I never got around to installing it. Is it really that good?

I recall people used a nylon cutting board cut to the needed size as a reinforcement and to mount the valve on and cover the old holes. Just use lots of butyl or sealants.

Charles

If you have a single-valve water heater bypass, the heater outlet check valve is already there.

The cooling during a shower pause occurs at the point where the cold & hot water mixes on its way to the shower head. When you shut off the flow at the head, the hot and cold still mix. The amount & speed of that mix depends largely on the relative pressure in the hot & cold lines.
Winnebago has a practice of installing a check valve on both cold inlet and hot outlet of water heaters. Since that is not standard industry-wide, some W owners have hot water flow problems and have difficulty finding the problem.

Winnebago has a practice of installing a check valve on both cold inlet and hot outlet of water heaters. Since that is not standard industry-wide, some W owners have hot water flow problems and have difficulty finding the problem.
That is so. However, back pressure at the heater inlet is not an inherent cause of temperature problems at the shower head. The problem is a complex interaction of the plumbing layout and the relative pressures in hot and cold lines. As with many things, Internet meme concerning water problem fixes tend toward absolutes, but reality is nearly always much more nuanced.

Most successful addition to my Winnie was the two handle thermostatic faucet. It has been working flawlessly for well over 7 years. Additionally it seems to stretch the hot water available. no need to use the pause feature on the shower head, turn off the faucet , water completely stops then will return at the set temperature.
By setting the max temp there is little worry about the grand-kids getting scalded, however adults can press the button and select hotter temperature if desired. (just don't tell the little ones)
1708868145343.png

Thank you guys for the responses. I have to revert back to page 11 thread, recommended shower head with a response by Wild Bill and the test that he made. The results were clear for me, check valve and shut off valve. I rethought my install process and deceided to go behind shower 1st, if no room, then to water heater. I have another thread going, city water pressure low. When I get this out of storage next month I should have answers to both issues,

One issue of concern with the dribbling shower head. If you have anyone else in the RV using the shower, absolutely go behind them and make sure that the faucet knobs are both off.

Co worker had a trailer and took a nephew on a trip. Nephew left the shower on with the head dribbling. No one noticed and all went to bed. They got up the next morning to a trailer full of water, as it had overflowed the gray tank. End of trip, end of trailer as insurance totaled it.

Charles

One issue of concern with the dribbling shower head. If you have anyone else in the RV using the shower, absolutely go behind them and make sure that the faucet knobs are both off.

Co worker had a trailer and took a nephew on a trip. Nephew left the shower on with the head dribbling. No one noticed and all went to bed. They got up the next morning to a trailer full of water, as it had overflowed the gray tank. End of trip, end of trailer as insurance totaled it.

Charles
Wow, no overflow pipe?

Over flow pipe on a gray tank????
Holding tanks don't have overflows.
The gray water tank on my Ideal TT did, just for the above reason. I know this because when I was full-timing I was gone for the weekend and apparently I had a small dribble from the bathroom faucet and when I returned there was water all over the pad under the trailer. Closer inspection revealed an overflow pipe on the top corner of the tank that stood about 3-inches up from, and a 90° to the side of the tank, and it was dripping. It had a small screen on the end for keeping bugs and other critters out. For obvious reason the black water tank did not have an overflow. I haven't owned an RV since then but assumed they all had one for the gray water tank for that reason.

I have owned 6 different self-contained RVs over 40 years and have helped many other owners work on theirs and to date I have never seen a gray water tank with an overflow other than the shower drain.
This could have been something added by the previous owner. I had never given it a thought until I saw all the water. My Winnebago MH prior to that didn't have one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom