Cold weather 30 amp RV power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Looking for an RV power cord that remains flexible below 32f. Our 30 foot 30 amp RV power cord is a bear to roll up when the outside temp. is below 32f.

Don't look in RV supply but marine supply. They have all the same combos but in better grades. With better comes price but it might also be the better value due to ease of use.

25 foot. Negative 20 Fahrenheit flexible they claim, but I know from experience that my extreme cold temperature cords roll up like sticks.
Screenshot_20240109_123437_Chrome.jpg

Road & Home appears to be the only cold weather offering to -20F. It's better to have it roll up like sticks versus the standard RV cord being non-flexible at all.
Screenshot_20240109_130954_Chrome.jpg

The cold climate extension cords that we use are good down to -58F. Hasn't been beyond that cold here since 1985. The school remained open.
20240109_131954.jpg

I would look into making one out of welding cords. Those stay flexible.. I don’t know what gage it would have to be.

I would look into making one out of welding cords. Those stay flexible.. I don’t know what gage it would have to be.
The problem is, welding cable is just one wire. You can't make an extension cord out of one.

I'd have to search to see if I still have it but I had one....
I got mine at an RV store.. (General RV) and though it fitted a 50 amp RV it was a 30 amp cord (So you'd need to change the RV end). But they make 'em 30/30 too.
Very nice cord.

Please let us know if you find a cord that remains close to pliable at cold temperatures. I’ve never found one. When we got this coach, what I DID FIND, is a power reel will make wrestling any cord much easier at any temperature. They can be added as aftermarket and I suspect in same price range as a new, upgraded cord.

E-Trailer sells a hardwired 25 foot 30 AMP which is rated to -30F. With that stated it doesn't mean that it's still flexible below freezing. Just rated to still work to -30F.
Screenshot_20240109_151633_Chrome.jpg

The "standard" RV 30A cable is a cheap one and thus not made from top-grade materials. It's the insulation that needs to be upgraded for better flexibility, and that costs more $$. As you can see from the other replies, there are plenty of "better" RV power cords and extensions available; you just have to dig deeper into your wallet.

I see what you mean. I had a senior moment
Actually, it's a pretty good idea. If they could make an extension cord with the same insulation as a welding cable it would probably provide a lot of the same flexibility. It would cost 3 times as much as a standard cord, but that's something I personally would pay for if I were RVing in below freezing temperatures regularly.

When it's really a pain to roll up an extension cord due to it's way below freezing temperatures I throw it in the back of my truck. Even the flexible cold weather extension cords rated to -58F don't roll up well when it's 0F.

You want a cord made with a real rubber jacket and not the Moisture resistant thermoplastic that RV cords are made of. Get some 10/3 (Black/white/green) SOOW is a suitable type. Its oil resistant, damp and wet location rated and also sunlight resistant. There are some silicone jacketed cords that will go colder and they cost more also. You can buy the cord and make it up with the ends you need. I highly recommend Progressive Industries TT30P for the male end. I recommend the use of ferrules as the wire is very fine stranded and its easy to have strands get out from under the screws when you assemble it. I have used ferrules on all of the wires on the 12v ground bar in the trailer also. much more solid connection. That is a female end in the pics, but the TT30P is similar and same good quality, much better than others. I bought several trying to find a good RV cord end.

Attachments

• Shore-Cord-Extension-3-yes-made-in-USA.jpg
    Shore-Cord-Extension-3-yes-made-in-USA.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Shore Cord Extension 4 ends cut and ferrules installed.jpg
    Shore Cord Extension 4 ends cut and ferrules installed.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Shore-Cord-Extension-8-ready-to-install-back-cover.jpg
    Shore-Cord-Extension-8-ready-to-install-back-cover.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I see what you mean. I had a senior moment
Welcome to the club! I was thinking the same but read down to Tuelcreepers reply first.
i used to have a 50A Marinco(boat)shore power cord that was flexible but lost it. When I went to buy a another I about fainted at the price.

You want a cord made with a real rubber jacket and not the Moisture resistant thermoplastic that RV cords are made of. Get some 10/3 (Black/white/green) SOOW is a suitable type. Its oil resistant, damp and wet location rated and also sunlight resistant. There are some silicone jacketed cords that will go colder and they cost more also. You can buy the cord and make it up with the ends you need. I highly recommend Progressive Industries TT30P for the male end. I recommend the use of ferrules as the wire is very fine stranded and its easy to have strands get out from under the screws when you assemble it. I have used ferrules on all of the wires on the 12v ground bar in the trailer also. much more solid connection. That is a female end in the pics, but the TT30P is similar and same good quality, much better than others. I bought several trying to find a good RV cord end.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom