cold weather and diesel motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavionIQ

Being new to not only rving but also to a diesel engine,  I have experienced a VERY dead unit after a drop to 18 last night.  (Navion IQ, 2008 with Mercedes 3.0L diesel)  I had winterized all the plumbing, but did not do anything about the engine.  Any thoughts and/or suggestions!

With only some battery voltage you should have seen something.
  Does 'dead' mean no cranking, no lights? If that's the case then I'd be looking at batts or connections.
#2 Diesel won't gel at 18F and even if it does you'd still get cranking.
  A frozen block??, you'd still get cranking.
  Maybe you can define 'dead'.

Not one thing works.  Had to use the key to unlock the unit..auto key would not do anything.  The key in the ignition would only move slightly...no sound.  The gear shift lever would not come out of park.???

You are missing 12 vdc somewhere. Check the batteries first then down the line. Hard to believe they went completely dead, sounds like a connection.

NavionIQ said:
Not one thing works.  Had to use the key to unlock the unit..auto key would not do anything.  The key in the ignition would only move slightly...no sound.  The gear shift lever would not come out of park.???

Take the terminals off your battery and clean both the battery and the cable ends. You can get a battery terminal cleaning wire brush at  any local auto supply store.

Being a "diesel" doesnt make it different than you car when it comes to winterizing, its the same process to check anti freeze, batteries, connections, sometimes lighter oil, and so forth. How long ago as it been run??was the battery/s  fully charged last time??>>>Dan

The unit had been cranke d  and driven a short distancewithin 3 days and last trip  was Christmas.  No problems.

Then with your description it would seem that something was left on and it doesnt take much over time to drain things to zero.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
Being a "diesel" doesnt make it different than you car when it comes to winterizing, its the same process to check anti freeze, batteries, connections, sometimes lighter oil, and so forth. How long ago as it been run??was the battery/s  fully charged last time??>>>Dan

Oh! I beg to differ on this one. Winterizing a diesel engine, especially the fuel system, is very much different than winterizing a gasoline engine. Diesel fuel will gel if not winterized properly.

The best thing to do for a diesel in cold weather is to find a fuel source that has blended fuel. Better yet would be one that has premium blended fuel. 50% premium and 50% #1 diesel. Barring that, a good antigel is needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom