Cold weather diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aa8shot said:
When temps get down to 0 Fahrenheit use straight #1 fuel if you can get it!

With the extremely high pressure fuel pumps used on modern diesels, a fuel with no lubricity might cost you a $10,000 plus repair.

lynnmor said:
With the extremely high pressure fuel pumps used on modern diesels, a fuel with no lubricity might cost you a $10,000 plus repair.

Not certain of this as a cold weather issue, but I add a pint of 2 cycle premix oil with each fill up. It helps with the lack of lubricity with the new fuel standards. In a test, can’t remember who did the test, plain old 2 cycle oil came in second when tested against the recognized high dollar diesel fuel additives.

Ours sees a few cold weather starts, so far - so good!

Memtb said:
    Not certain of this as a cold weather issue, but I add a pint of 2 cycle premix oil with each fill up. It helps with the lack of lubricity with the new fuel standards. In a test, can?t remember who did the test, plain old 2 cycle oil came in second when tested against the recognized high dollar diesel fuel additives.

Ours sees a few cold weather starts, so far - so good!

Adding 2 cycle oil to fuel used in a modern diesel may cause serious problems with the emissions systems, it was fine in the good old days.

OMG that is cold !!
does the DEF fluid freeze at those temps ?
do most all Canadian trucks come with plug-in heaters on them ?

lynnmor, You may be correct, I don’t spend enough time on the diesel forums to know all of the potential ramifications. However, I haven’t heard of any ill effects, and diesel fuel additives are still marketed. The only negatives I could find....were those stated by a company selling diesel fuel additives. “Don’t buy 2 cycle oils as an additive,use our product “Acme Super Diesel Additive”!  ;).  I only used the oil for a few years, prior to mine becoming a much better, slightly modified vehicle.

On a diesel, the engine block heater actually heats the antifreeze/water solution in the cooling jackets around the engine cylinders, not the oil. So when you plug it in, it does in fact speed up the defrost time for your windshield or warmth coming from your heater vents since those systems use engine coolant heater coils to accomplish that. For actually starting the engine, most modern diesels have great pre-start systems so block heaters are rarely needed unless you live in extreme conditions like Steve.

Block heaters aren't so much about creature comforts, the real purpose is to benefit the engine by aiding in oil circulation, better combustion and less load on the starter on a cold start.  Claiming that your engine starts at extreme temperatures without the heater ignores the benefits.

Lynnmor,
    I didn?t claim anything. I?m on my 4th diesel truck, have two diesel farm tractors, and grew up in the Dakotas where it?s cold.
    My tractors HAVE to start to feed the cattle, not to go on a camping trip.
    You are where?....wait, your sig doesn?t say.
    You drive what?...wait, your sig doesn?t say.
    You know a lot about Diesel engines because, wait, who knows? Read it on the internet maybe?
Steveblonde gives great advice on here based on his experience, and even though I?m not always right, I just try to pass along things I have experienced in life, hopefully to help someone else. I don?t come here to argue.

Diesels come with a DEF heater because DEF freezes - the down side to that is the Damn DEF heater breaks all the time and has to be replaced because the truck wont run with out it UNLESS you do a DPF delete with eliminates the DEF system (also illegal in most states)  which is dumb because DPF systems is the number 1 cause of issues on all diesel trucks (some dealerships will offer to take them out for you at a cost of about $2500 CDN). in europe they did away with DEF systems buy making cleaner but more expensive diesel fuel

Pretty much all trucks in Canada and the states come with a block heater - its an option so some southern dealers wont order it because you dont really need it down south

Conventional oil will also freeze or become so thick it doesnt flow - thus the block heater to keep the oil warm and flowing However - synthetic oil doesnt freeze and is used mostly in diesels and agriculture applications because you can leave it in the motor and not worry

GM and Ram come with an available winter front to block off some of the cold air as diesels prefer it warm However the 2017 and newer Fords do not - i dont know why not
help this helps 

It has been more than 30 years now that all my new Canadian cars have come with a block heater from the factory, so it is not only trucks that have them.

Boonieman said:
Lynnmor,
    I didn?t claim anything. I?m on my 4th diesel truck, have two diesel farm tractors, and grew up in the Dakotas where it?s cold.
    My tractors HAVE to start to feed the cattle, not to go on a camping trip.
    You are where?....wait, your sig doesn?t say.
    You drive what?...wait, your sig doesn?t say.
    You know a lot about Diesel engines because, wait, who knows? Read it on the internet maybe?
Steveblonde gives great advice on here based on his experience, and even though I?m not always right, I just try to pass along things I have experienced in life, hopefully to help someone else. I don?t come here to argue.

I use my Ford 6.7 diesel to not only pull a travel trailer, but also a snowmobile trailer in the northern states and Canada.  I do read on the internet and that has served me well.  Glad you don't argue.

Those DEF systems have removed all the reliability out of diesel vehicles.

A lot of people I know with a newer diesel has had DEF system problems,  one guy paid $7,000.00 in towing charges when his diesel pusher shut down because of a DEF error in the computer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom