Coleman Roadtrip XL Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrontrangeRVer

We have used (and enjoyed) our Weber Baby Q grill for a couple of years now, but during this time, we have noticed that it has a very low BTU output, and it takes forever to heat up or sear meat. Honestly, it is the slowest grill we have ever owned. Maybe it is the altitude partly, but the flame is VERY small, and annoying. I have read several postings about this low flame problem on the Baby Q.

We have ordered the Coleman Roadtrip XL grill (20,000 btu), and would like to hear some comments about this grill.

The Baby Q is only 8500 btus - not a very hot grill at all. I've had that complaint about other Weber portables too and Weber was of no help when I inquired about it. The Roadtrip is 20,000 btus but I think the surface is larger, so actual heat at any point may not be 2.5x the Baby Q.

I've used a friend's Road trip for grilling salmon and cooking breakfast but haven't tried it on stuff that really needs to be seared, like steaks and chops.

The coleman has two round stove type burners under the grids, no lava rocks or anything like that. Some folks feel it's hard to clean however wife has no problem with it.

I like that it fits perfectly in the space I choose to store it in in my rig

I have the Blue one and love it! I did allot of looking and reading and with the larger BTUs all the interchangeable surfaces I choose the Coleman. I did not like all the room the folding legs on the red one would need. I read great review about the blue one so I got it. The grill, stand and grates all fit nicely into the storage bag. Which then fits very nice into my basement bin.
Look luck.

Update:  We got the Roadtrip, cooked on it twice, gave it to Goodwill.  :mad:  Absolute HORRIBLE grill.......

Going back to my Weber Q120.  :'(

Voyage1 said:
Update:  We got the Roadtrip, cooked on it twice, gave it to Goodwill.  :mad:  Absolute HORRIBLE grill.......

Going back to my Weber Q120.   :'(

I suspect you had one of the earlier ones that had low BTU/s.  The folks I know that have the higher BTU unit are very happy with them.

Ron said:
When the time comes to get a new grill it will be the blue Coleman. 

Here are the details of my new grill GIVEAWAY:

I just gave my brand new "Blue" Coleman Roadtrip with matching bag, extra griddle, extra cast iron grill..... to Goodwill.....

Here's the deal....Coleman just absolutely thinks is a good idea for the grease tray to be filled with WATER....so your drippings.....bacon grease etc....drip into this water pan, and you are supposed to just remove this full width tray without spilling it (physically impossible!) and dump it on the nearest bush or tree or ground somewhere....pathetic!

I like my grease drippings to drip in a place where the smoke will simmer up and actually makes food taste flavorful......not this water nonsense.   ::)

Sounds like this is another of those personal preferences.  The old saying can't please everybody all the time.  Like I said when the time comes Coleman is presently first choice.

Ron, I wished now that I had kep the grill and given it to you.....we are going through Wyoming this Summer and could have dropped it off somewhere for you to pick up......

Voyage1 said:
Ron, I wished now that I had kep the grill and given it to you.....we are going through Wyoming this Summer and could have dropped it off somewhere for you to pick up......

Wish you had too. We could have provided several options for drop off and pick up.  Fact we would have paid shipping. Thanks for the thought though.  If you are going through Wyoming why not drop by and visit us at Sam's Camp in MT.  It must be on the way. ;D

MT is a bit North of where we are headed, but.....I assure you we will meet up some day. 

I do regret that I didn't think of giving the grill away here.....You should have seen the Goodwill people...at first they said "No...we don't take grills", but when I opened the new Coleman rolling dufflel and they looked in....they said "we will take this one though!"  :)

Gee, I have a Coleman Roadtrip, I believe it is the XL (The one with the X legs) and I love it, great grill, and with the convertable top plan (Grill, gas burner, griddle, and each half is independent of the other half) it's one fantastic grill

I got the red one at CW a month or so ago, quite happy with it.  It has the 20K BTU.  Cooking is a touch slow but we were making 1.5" thick steaks.  It does have the griddle option - I like the stowaway capability.  The extra LED light in the handle seemed gimmicky but came in handy too...  I could go for a better grease tray but all in all it has done what I expected of it and done that well.

Oops....I meant to mention this one very important fact about the Roadtrip grills.  Ever wonder why every picture you see of them, the LID is raised? 

It's because you are not supposed to cook with the lid down!  You might "melt the handle".....straight from Coleman.  The grills "aren't designed to cook with the lids closed".

I went to Camping World two weekends ago and Coleman was there....cooking with their grills, and they said the same thing.....don't lower the lids....or try to "smoke" on these grills.   ::)

I've been using my coleman for 2 seasons now. I bring it camping and tailgating. I love the convenience and storability. It is not as good as a regular gas grill for steaks but for 4 people and the felxibility it offers it does a great job. I have the round grate for a pot or pan, the regular grate for steaks, chops, burger, dogs etc, and the teflon grate for pancakes etc. I also ahev a teflon saute pan the fits on the round grate that serves as a great saute pan for eggs potatoes etc. I got a great deal on it at Sports Authority and with the sale and a coupon I ended up paying 113 dollars for it. A bargain and damn glad I bought it.

Larry

I made the mistake of covering the original grill surface with foil to reduce clean up, guess what I melted the griddle. I then bpought the cast iron stuff to prevent that from happening again in addition to not using foil again.

Nelson

RE: "don't close the top..."

Now, for the first time, I'm semi-interested.

If you can truly grill on this thing with the top open, it might sell me.  Even better, tell me it gets hot enough to cause melting fat (grease) flare-ups and flames directly on the meat!

One of my pet peeves with grills over the past 20 years has been that you can only cook with the top closed and you end up "baking", not grilling!

The change from open grilling grills was probably engineered to enable them to sell lower BTU grills and also to help smother any flames to protect me from those pesky carcinogens that supposedly result from open flames and burning fat.  I'm willing to take the risk in return for that charred meat flavor!

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom