color schemes on RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree about the dark colors.  Like a lot of other tings color is a personal choice but as far as I am concerned the dark colors are gross and in no way look more elegant but more discusting to me.  

On the subject of the paint problem many manufacturers are dealing with may still be in litigation but some manufacturers are going as far as replacing walls to correct the problem.

Oh my, I thought I was reading a post from Jerry until I read Wendy's "Amen Ardra". You two (Jerry and Ardra) are so in tune with each other that it really is tough to tell your posts apart without looking at the sig line, which I rarely do.

Thanks for the update on the Dow Corning issue (don't know why I couldn't recall that name when posting my prior message). I suspected there was something going on when I read some messages in another forum suggesting that "Monaco has stopped the paint warranty work".

We still like tans and browns, which inevitably means some dark color somewhere on our coach. Even our cars are tan, inside and out, but not the Burb; We consciously decided to go with a pewter color this time around.

Tom, I also like tans with bits of brown. Our house sofa is tan, forest green and burgundy. But the light tans far outnumber the darker colors in both the house and the MH. Plus I think in a small place like a MH, the lighter colors make the space seem more, well, spacious.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
...I think in a small place like a MH, the lighter colors make the space seem more, well, spacious.

Well, ya knows that the salon of our boat is maple (aka blond). When Chris and I first stepped aboard we looked at each other and signaled "what the heck is this?" But, as we sat there chatting with the sales guy, we both started to think that this didn't look too bad and, since we were getting a great deal, it really looked pretty good  ;D

When we get tans and browns on our motorhome, we wash them off :)  We much prefer the lighter colors, or at most, blues like Jerry and Ardra's coach.  I hate the green on ours but it's not worth it to repaint.

Dark wood on the interior makes it feel like a cave to me.

Ned said:
When we get tans and browns on our motorhome, we wash them off .... I hate the green on ours ...

Time for a new paint job. Did I say I hate green?

Nah, just more DriWash :)  Much cheaper than paint.

Dri Wash doesn't change the color, unless of course the coach was really dirty  ;D  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We just don't like green  ;)  Personal preference.

It doesn't change the base color but it does get the tan and brown dirt off.  If we could have gotten this coach in any other color (but dark ones) we would have, but green was what they had.

Sometimes, one just has to settle for a lousy color if the price and other considerations are right. That's certainly what we did when we bought our "green boat". Fortunately, Chris is able to see beyond the current/existing, especially color, and was able to make it liveable. We sold it after 5 years for almost what we paid for it and the buyers were extremely happy until they sold it 5 years later.

Dirt, whatever color, has nothing to do with what we're talking about in this topic.  Around here, airborne dirt is black and it doesn't care what color it lands on. Neither does the bird poop  ;)

Sue and I looked at a few new coaches at Redmond and REALLY looked at a new National Pacifica but decided we still like the Tradewinds and our money more than a new m/h. What we have decided to do is paint the exterior and replace the carpet up front with tile as much as possible.

All your comments have already been discussed here as we tossed schemes and colors around driving east. Our choices would be champagne with a couple of trim colors that pick up our awning and interior colors but they are browns and tan so we are still looking. The motorhome is scheduled into the paint shop on the 24th of September so we still have time to decide.

And when you're somewhere muddy, it's WAY easier to mop mud up off the tile than to get it off the carpet.

Wendy, that reminds me of our Windsor that was less than 3 months old when we got to Greeley CO in a rainstorm.  The campground had one space left and we took it.  To say it was a muddy mess is an understatement.  They have red mud in that area and we unwittingly had red footprints all the way from the front door and into the bedroom.  Shortly before selling it, I had the carpets professionally cleaned and the fellow told me I had actually lightened the carpet along that footpath trying to get those darned footprints out.  Oh well, only we knew it after a while.  ;)

But I will add that if anyone gets tile, make sure it is either the narrowest possible grout or that it has an excellent sealant.  The one in the MH is great - very well sealed.  The one in the house was a terrible job and I've never been happy with it.  Tile can look terrible if the grout looks bad.  And don't assume the manufacturer will seal it because they don't always.  You have to ask to have it done or be prepared to do it yourself immediately upon taking delivery.

ArdraF

All,

We paid extra to get a custom COLOR paint job from Monaco (see attached Photo).  The lightest blue color, of the three blues, looks a little gray in the early evening with no sun so actually the coach appears to be two different color paint jobs depending on sun or no sun and in the shade. 

We also paid extra for the lightest colored Cherry Wood interior (not stained) so we could have both the exterior and interior in light colors. 

Usually a light colored interior makes the inside space appear to be larger than a dark colored interior.  While dark colors look rich, in a smaller space they tend to make the room appear smaller.

Even in our house we ordered light colored Maple Wood cabinets so the kitchen would appear larger than the builders darker colored cabinets made it appear.

JerryF

Attachments

• J&A MH in RWC.JPG
    J&A MH in RWC.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 28
Jerrygroah said:
I have observed that most high end coaches have a dark color scheme, usually dark brown, (some times black), or some variation of the same. whereas most of the entry level coaches have a light color scheme, running mostly to white and light blue.

Jerry,
I just attended the FMCA Rally in Redmond Oregon and I gave a "look see"  at the rigs with your comments in mind.  It was my unscientific observation that  color schemes do not  reflect  high end or  low end,  however the  popular color of choice for the NEW rigs at all price points,  almost always includes a dark "elegant" color.  So there you go. 

Betty

we still like the Tradewinds and our money more than a new m/h

That's what we come away with every time we look at new coaches Jeff. Chris gets a lot of requests from folks who feel the same way about their boats.

Jeff Cousins said:
The motorhome is scheduled into the paint shop on the 24th of September so we still have time to decide.

If you don't like the result, or get tired of it, you can always change the paint color again ;D

Color sure changes one's perception and mood, but it's also a personal thing.

A couple of years ago my neighbor decided to have the exterior of his house repainted. The painters started just before we left on a long trip. When we got back from the trip, the house still wasn't finished and my neighbor told me that someone had complained to the local design review committee about the color. Shortly after this my neighbor left on a cruise.

While he was away I saw a couple of guys in my neighbor's  yard and went to find out what they were doing there. They told me they were from the design review committee and had come to decide what color my neighbor's house should be. I suggested they not make him repaint the entire house, especially since there were other houses in the neighborhood the same or similar color that they had approved. They talked about it for a while and settled on changing just the color of the trim .

Just as they were leaving, one of the guys told me he was color blind! Now what is this guy doing deciding what color folks may or may not paint their house  ???

That's why we bought this one, it had everything we wanted and a floor plan we liked.  The other color choice wasn't much better with a rose color instead of the green.  I would still prefer all white.

l like the darker coaches but in the end, I probably would gravitate to a more reflective coach as I hate heat.  My favorite color for any vehicle is silver.  Tan and browns as my avatar would show is also a favorite.  I think my next coach will be many shades of silver and gray with maybe a black stripe mixed in for the Rich feel with out covering large areas for heat reasons. 
     I think dark coaches are popular because the paint just sticks out more and looks "heavier".  It gives the paint weight so to speak.  A very light coach looks older and more faded to me so that may have a lot to do with it.

JerArdra, I love the color of your custom coach.  My silver jeep would look good out back ;D

I have to say I like black! Remember when PC's only came in beige? I paid big bucks for the first black case I saw!

As far as temperature- I was at a dealer looking at coaches on a hot day- each one we entered was like a sauna (no AC's running) until we stepped into a Monaco. I asked the salesman if the AC was on- it was THAT much cooler inside. All the rigs were parked on asphalt in the sun on a 90+ day. The Monaco had the grey paint scheme (not that light a color.)  

Tom said:
Just as they were leaving, one of the guys told me he was color blind! Now what is this guy doing deciding what color folks may or may not paint their house  ???

I just don't understand what business anybody has dictating what color a persons own house can be painted.  Some idiots with just too much authority they should never have.  After all this is a free country.

Back
Top Bottom