comparisons of tire pressure monitor systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerry R

I couldn't find much with a threat search comparing different types and brands of after market TPM systems. I am thinking a system for my tow vehicle, a dually, and my bumper pull toy hauler sounds like a good idea but which would be best, inside the wheel or the valve stem cap type?

I've never seen any advantage to the inside the wheel mounted sensors.  The valve stem sensors work fine.

Very happy with my valve stem mounted sensors. :)  When the batteries need to be replaced I will not have to have my tires removed to change the batteries then remounted.

From personal experience with inside wheel mounted sensors on my tow'd, they can be a real pita when something does go wrong. Tire has to be unmounted for one.

I can't even count how many dust caps I've lost or have been stolen over the years.
I have zero experience with these TPMS, except that I'd like to have one.... but loosing these expensive things is a concern of mine.

I got the TST for my truck and trailer last summer.  Been very happy with them.  Won't need them on the new truck but will still have them on the trailer.  I got the regular caps not the flow thru ones.  When battery dies I can change them real easy.  Great people to work with too.  I called them directly and they matched any price I could find on line.

I have the Pressure Pro System without the locking sensors, and knock on wood I haven't lost a sensor due to theft or loss yet. I have had the TST and now the Pressure Pro and in my opinion it is six in one hand and half dozen in the other. Both are seemingly reliable and both are easy to set up and use.

I lost one of my 10 sensors in 10 years and 80k miles, and that was because the valve stem extension broke loose from its mount and started flopping around.

Theft may be a concern if the rig is stored in a lot/facility where others have ready access. Otherwise it is pretty rare. We see/hear very few sensor theft complaints.

We've not lost one Pressure Pro sensor in 10 years.  They're easy enough to remove when in storage to avoid theft.  Just be sure to put them back on the same wheels.  I labeled mine with a permanent marker.

I did not give them much thought until I read something that Gary posted somewhere and began thinking about how they really make sense.  I also thought about the difference and settled on the type that screwed onto the valve stem primarily because many of the new vehicles have factory installed TPMS.  Of course the factory sensor does not help you inside of your rig, but certainly ruled out replacing the valve stems which would negate the car system.  Also figured they would be more portable since I can now move them from my car to my trailer without having to purchase additional units.  Hope Santa got my wish list letter.

What i think I want is
a set of tire pressure equalizers for the dualies - cat's eye or crossfire or similar
+
A TPMS

Just can't pull the trigger, scared DW will get mad at spending the money  :eek: :-\

Seriously, we are only recreational weekend users for the most part so it's a little hard for me to justify it.  Working towards it though watching for a deal and the right opportunity.... which is why I'm following this thread.

blw2 said:
What i think I want is
a set of tire pressure equalizers for the dualies - cat's eye or crossfire or similar
+
A TPMS

Just can't pull the trigger, scared DW will get mad at spending the money  :eek: :-\

Seriously, we are only recreational weekend users for the most part so it's a little hard for me to justify it.  Working towards it though watching for a deal and the right opportunity.... which is why I'm following this thread.

Our wives could be related. When I was shopping for a TPMS I made a few solid arguments to my wife, including a discussion on the forum, all of which fell on deaf ears. So when I pulled the trigger I planned for a intense discussion on my spending habits. After our first trip with the TPMS my wife began to understand the technical need for the system. Now she accepts the system as a required part of the motor home's essential equipment.

Actually what I was hopping for was someone to come out with a bluetooth TPMS.  Disappointed in the fact that it is not mandatory for large trucks, RV's specifically, to be OBD-II compliant though.  Since a low cost bluetooth sender is available for the OBD-II, how nice would it be to have all of your engine information displayed along with TPMS on your tablet or phone?  I recently saw a program that showed all kinds of real time information down to even the fuel pressure and more trip information than what you could believe was available.  My father just purchased a new car that sends a monthly diagnostic report on the various systems, miles driven, tire pressure, maintenance information, and etc.  Can you tell I like gadgets?

My father just purchased a new car that sends a monthly diagnostic report on the various systems, miles driven, tire pressure, maintenance information, and etc.  Can you tell I like gadgets?
Cat and Volvo have had some of their larger bucket loaders that we owned would send a text to my phone if the engine was staring to run hot or low on oil among other things. I didn't even have to be in the same state, amazing what you can get on a half million dollar loader! Of course you can't fix breakfast in that loader either.
I am not full time but I certainly go on trips for months at a time. More importantly I drive for 4 or 5 hours at a time on a regular basis which increases my chance of picking up something and running a tire to flat vs when driving a car for 45 mins before stopping at a destination. That increased chance and the larger cost of damage is the most important reason for a TPMS IMO. Whatever system you choose will mitigate that risk, sort of like insurance you hope you never need. Besides your dash gauges I think it will be the most important thing you can add.

Ned said:
You can display the Pressure Pro readings on a Silverleaf monitor or VMSpc.

That looks perfect for diesel units, but unfortunately have a gas unit right now.  Will definitely have to keep this in mind if or when I make the next step up.

Wizard46 said:
From personal experience with inside wheel mounted sensors on my tow'd, they can be a real pita when something does go wrong. Tire has to be unmounted for one.
I have had the external sensors since 2010 and have had 3 occasions of problems knocking them off and losing pressure on the tow'd. 

First time was on our 2008 Smart Car.  Getting ready to tow and wife hit a hidden sewer pipe in the grass that just was in the right position to break the valve stem. About $50 to replace the valve stem.

Next time on a 2010 CRV hitting a 1 foot tall curb with the sensor. About $75 to replace the valve stem.

Last time on our 2012 CRV in an automatic car wash.  The rails that guide the car through.  This time a Walmart tire technician installed a valve stem repair kit for $10.

Needless to say, I take them off the tow'd when we are not out in the RV.  Too bad that some company design a unit that can pick up the built in sensors on the tow'd and not have to have an external sensor.

So the tire pressure alarm went off all three times that the tire pressure went to 0 psi, but the TPMS was the reason for the only 3 flats in 5 years.  :(

Gregg said:
Actually what I was hopping for was someone to come out with a bluetooth TPMS. 

I thought that was a really good idea, so I looked around. Looks like they have come out with some, but they seem to all be Chinese.  http://www.steel-mate.com/TPMS8886/en/product.html
But I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before we can get something like this locally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom